So, what do you consider to be romantic?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 1:06 am

If you were going to plan a romantic encounter what would you do?
What comes to mind when you think romantic?
What are your do's and don'ts?

Ash13
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2010, 1:43 am

candlelight
music
someone who has undivided attention and can talk for hours

NOT romantic: smoking, drinking...

thats just me, and im sure i can think of more :p

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 6:03 am

music, dinner alone, not having to go and interact with anyone else.
just the two of us.

actually the most romantic date i've had with my boyf is when we went to a shooting range actually :lol:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 6:42 am

i have no concept of romance.

romance is where people splash perfumes all over themselves and gel their hair up and put pretty tablecloths on the table and light candles and throw their coats in puddles of muddy water so damsels can walk over them.

romance is where people act as they would not otherwise do in the cold light of day.

in 6th grade, i was given a test by my therapist that required me to write a romantic description of 3 completely different looking girls as if i was trying to describe their appearance to them in a romantic way. i was given an example text, and asked to write my own romantic words in a similar fashion.

the 1st girl had black hair and black eyes (spanish i guess)

"your hair is as black as pitch, and your eyes are the color of soot. your skin is as fair as a bleached bed sheet and your smile is as straight as the keyboard on my piano"

the 2nd girl had blonde hair and blue eyes.

"your hair is the color of a very old smoke stained wedding dress, and your eyes are as blue as blue smarties. your skin is as soft as fresh bread, and your teeth are as white as chalk"

the 3rd girl had brown hair and green eyes.

"your hair is as brown as freshly plowed dirt. your eyes are as green as the abdomen of a fruit fly. your smile is as endearing as a $100 dollar note"

i did not score well, and i can not see the sense in romance.

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:22 am

b9 wrote:
"your skin is as fair as a bleached bed sheet" ... "your eyes are as green as the abdomen of a fruit fly"

Imagining most people's reactions is rather amusing. (I have a twisted sense of humour.) Some of the imagery in Song of Solomon attracts bemused looks in our culture and era, it must be said.

I don't have a romantic bone in my body; that's mainly because I've become a burnt-out cynic, having seen the truth about "romance". You're right about there being a lot of artifice involved in it, in many or most cases.

Last edited by BPalmer on 05 Nov 2010, 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 8:27 am

Meteor shower

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 8:34 am

b9 wrote:
i have no concept of romance.

romance is where people splash perfumes all over themselves and gel their hair up and put pretty tablecloths on the table and light candles and throw their coats in puddles of muddy water so damsels can walk over them.

romance is where people act as they would not otherwise do in the cold light of day.

in 6th grade, i was given a test by my therapist that required me to write a romantic description of 3 completely different looking girls as if i was trying to describe their appearance to them in a romantic way. i was given an example text, and asked to write my own romantic words in a similar fashion.

the 1st girl had black hair and black eyes (spanish i guess)

"your hair is as black as pitch, and your eyes are the color of soot. your skin is as fair as a bleached bed sheet and your smile is as straight as the keyboard on my piano"

the 2nd girl had blonde hair and blue eyes.

"your hair is the color of a very old smoke stained wedding dress, and your eyes are as blue as blue smarties. your skin is as soft as fresh bread, and your teeth are as white as chalk"

the 3rd girl had brown hair and green eyes.

"your hair is as brown as freshly plowed dirt. your eyes are as green as the abdomen of a fruit fly. your smile is as endearing as a $100 dollar note"

i did not score well, and i can not see the sense in romance.

i dig these (the smoke-stained wedding dress was the most peculiar, but age-stained white fabrics are quite lovely). i can't ever understand why it is wrong or socially incorrect to compliment someone according to the things that you hold dear, or that you perceive others to hold dear.

p.s. i have dirt-scented perfume (really. it smells like soil). so if i am splahing on perfume it is rather unlikely to have a romantic effect. i consider myself lucky that i am so indulged by my husband that he does not mind things like that.

---

to the OP - i consider some things to be romantic. husband did all of the grocery shopping on his day off instead of us doing it together. he also came home with a cool science magazine that had an article on autism and a dozen roses (i am trying to get them to take root. i hate watching flowers die).

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 8:58 am

Romance can be found any time you're with the one you love...

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 9:01 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Romance can be found any time you're with the one you love...

Aww! So true!

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 9:04 am

When I was in my relationship, I could find romance in even the most mundane things we did. Just being with her made the world itself a little brighter, and life became enjoyable...

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 9:18 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
When I was in my relationship, I could find romance in even the most mundane things we did. Just being with her made the world itself a little brighter, and life became enjoyable...

Gosh me too.
Even when we're doing the washing-up it's twice as nice when it's with him. :3

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 9:20 am

I have no idea what is romantic, I never got the chance to be it. Nobody taught me anything either. Not even my parents. Aren't parents supposed to help their kids? :roll:

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 9:34 am

emlion wrote:
Gosh me too.

I just wish i could have a special someone to be with too...

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 9:46 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
emlion wrote:
Gosh me too.

I just wish i could have a special someone to be with too...

So do I. Whatever it takes, whoever gets hurt, I will get that thing.

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2010, 9:58 am

I don't think romance has to be one particular thing - setting, looks, clothing, anything. I think the mood is the only constant. My boyfriend could be dressed at his least attractive (borrowed my Hello Kitty PJ pants which are too short, wearing a giant sweater with holes, and leopard-print slippers with long socks) and we can still have a romantic moment. It's when he can make me feel really good about myself, and remind me of the many reasons why I love him.. that is romantic. That could mean flowers, or making me dinner, or just looking in my eyes and telling me how much he loves me.

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 10:16 am

nekowafer wrote:
I don't think romance has to be one particular thing - setting, looks, clothing, anything. I think the mood is the only constant.

Yeah, people are way too prescriptive about it.