Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 12:41 pm

I've been asking myself this question. Do you consciously decide someone is worthy of your love and start loving them? And if so, could you just as easily decide to stop loving them? I believe that there is, at the very least, a conscious component in love.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 12:42 pm

I wish. It'd make life much easier if that was true.

Ambrose_Rotten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2010, 12:53 pm

I gave it some thought and have come to the conclusion that it has to do with both voluntary and involuntary factors.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 12:53 pm

I DON'T KNOW WHAT LOVE IS!! ! SERIOUSLY!! !

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

09 Nov 2010, 12:54 pm

I think sometimes love just happens, but often I have to encourage it in myself to make it grow. I think I can decide that I do not love someone anymore, but that that is usually the beginning of a painful process of falling out of love.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 12:56 pm

No.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 1:04 pm

Nope.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 1:19 pm

Your brain makes it conscious.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 1:25 pm

Attraction isn't a choice, but a relationship is. As for love?

I'm gonna have to go with yes, it is a choice. Love (or hate) is a strong feeling and it doesn't "just happen"--it takes time to grow and some (sub)conscious effort is probably needed for it to happen. I think a lot of people are just so in love with the idea of being in love that the effort they're putting into falling in love then seems so effortless it's practically nonexistent--hence the notion that love "just happens."

Quote:
And if so, could you just as easily decide to stop loving them?

I could decide to stop loving them, but strong feelings don't go away overnight. Anything's possible if you put your mind to it, though.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 1:51 pm

Love doesn't happen for no reason. There are always causes and conditions, but I think they are really too complex to consciously manipulate. And I'm not even sure it would be a good idea. Love just happens to me.

pandorazmtbox
Toucan
Toucan

09 Nov 2010, 2:49 pm

menintights wrote:
Attraction isn't a choice, but a relationship is. As for love?

I'm gonna have to go with yes, it is a choice. Love (or hate) is a strong feeling and it doesn't "just happen"--it takes time to grow and some (sub)conscious effort is probably needed for it to happen. I think a lot of people are just so in love with the idea of being in love that the effort they're putting into falling in love then seems so effortless it's practically nonexistent--hence the notion that love "just happens."

Quote:
And if so, could you just as easily decide to stop loving them?

I could decide to stop loving them, but strong feelings don't go away overnight. Anything's possible if you put your mind to it, though.

Have to agree with most of this. The feeling of love is overwhelming, and it is part attraction, part compatibility and part choice (the relationship part). I can't choose who attracts me. Nor can I choose who just happens to mesh well with me, that just sort of happens--very rarely but when it does...WOW. Put on top of that a conscious choice (from both parties) to have a relationship with one another, to work to understand the other, to put efforts into understanding and avoiding hurts and healing wounds together...and you've got a powerful love indeed. Unfortunately, I don't think bonds like that can be severed by choice, the heart starts to have too much say. Healing from that is a b***h...I'll get back to you if I ever manage to succeed.

Ambrose_Rotten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2010, 3:32 pm

You normally don't choose who you love, but you make choices that affect who you will love.

For instance, if you move to another town, that's a factor.

- Where you go to school.

- Where you work.

- Personal rules regarding who you establish relationships with.

There are many other choices, and none of them are directly related to who you will fall in love with, but they all have an effect.