Poll: Who didn't go to senior prom.

Page 4 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Did you go to your senior prom in high school?
Yes, I am a girl and I was asked by a guy 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Yes, I am a girl who went stag with friends 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Yes, I am a girl who went by herself 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Yes, I am a boy who asked a girl 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Yes, I am a boy who went stag with friends 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
No, I am a girl who didn't get asked 15%  15%  [ 15 ]
No, I am a girl who turned someone down 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
No, I am a boy who was too shy to ask 12%  12%  [ 12 ]
No, I am a boy who didn't know who to ask 19%  19%  [ 20 ]
No, I am a boy or girl who had other plans 30%  30%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 103

paladin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 May 2011, 8:35 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
paladin wrote:
At the time my prom was not really a priority for me. While there was one girl I might have been interested in asking (in my AP calculus BC class, not the girl below), but I didn't bother. At the time of my prom Asperger's had just been a diagnosis for less than a year, and I was not diagnosed. Still I had an intuitive understanding that I was different, and the rest of the world was NT.

With that said, I intuitively saw the prom as an NT activity that I just didn't care for. My senior year of HS I was a total Calculus snob. I guess calculus had become my special interest. I was so proud that I had an A- average in the class that I looked down on anyone who didn't have at least a B average in AP calculus BC (and not the AP calculus AB, which I saw as calculus for wimps). I just wouldn't want anything to have anything to do with them! There was a real hottie cheerleader who was taking AP calculus AB. Since she was taking the easy AP calculus, I didn't want to respect her. She always had a group of guys around her, and I didn't believe she needed or was entitled to my attention to her as well. Although she flirted with me, I didn't (at the time) believe she was being authentic with me. Also since I saw her as a 'social' person (i.e. NT) I felt like giving her a little reverse discrimination to get back at her for all the times that NTs had treated me like $h!t for my Aspie traits. Right now though, I recognize that she did nothing to me to deserve to be treated that way, and I do regret it.

Anyway back to the prom topic! Since the prom had nothing to do with calculus, I really didn't care one way or the other. Actually I probably saw it as a shallow activity that would have taken time away from solving more calculus problems :) . As such I would have given it equal importance as I would now attribute to googling Charlie Sheen rumors or talking about Britney Spears's hair; the activity was simply beneath me! If I had been diagnosed then and had a real awareness of what Autism is I would have might cried myself to sleep feeling sorry for myself. But looking back at it now I can't help but be sort of proud of the fact that I was able to give the entire prom experience the middle finger and be happy about it in the process. :D

You remind me of high school jocks.
ie: dickheads.

:lol: I was really cocky back then. So many people treated me like crap for my entire life for being worthless. I had just discovered my intellectual powers. I felt like and acted like an Aspie cross between Wolverine and Spock! I knew I was great at what I did, and was not beyond holding it against people.

People had always looked down on me for being different. If people didn't show me respect, I felt no need to show them respect either. As for the cheerleader, I could not possibly believe that someone as popular as her wanted to even acknowledge me. As such I thought she was trying to play some sort of prank on me. Around that time I had seen a TV show where a cheerleader was seducing a nerd and got him to strip down to his underwear. Then a group of jocks forced him to run around the school taunting him. I just assumed she was trying to do something similar to me, and refused to give her a chance.

Looking back now I see that I had become no better than the NTs who didn't respect me because of my Autism. Doing a reverse discrimination against her because she was popular and beautiful was totally unfair to her. In fact I am seriously thinking of sending her an apology message on Facebook (I know she is there, but she has ignored my friend request).

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 11:10 pm

Didn't have other plans. I just didn't go. I never go to those kinds of things. Crappy pop music + standing around, talking = fun? Does not compute.

I had a fun night at home. :D

AriNecromare1213
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2011, 11:18 pm

I was gonna use the prom money to take a chick to disneyland instead, but she made up some story about her parents having to go to vegas so I tried to reschedule. Then she couldn't go again because of her parents (supposedly). Feels bad man :(

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

09 May 2011, 6:58 pm

I am a boy who went by himself.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 8:46 pm

I went stag with friends and it was fun. ^.^

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 1:30 am

well, I was home-schooled, so there was no prom. but, if i had been at a school that had one I wouldn't have gone.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 8:39 am

I'm a girl and I went to mine. I asked my date. I don't see what the big deal is about being the person who does the asking, boy or girl. I'm older, though (43), but as someone else said upthread, I can only assume things are much freer now.

It was okay. I wasn't crazy about my dress. The after-parties were more fun than the actual prom itself.

I was into looking "normal" back then.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 5:55 am

Yeah the only thing worth it about the ball was the afterball which got broken up a couple of hours in because the cops turned up. Obviously, we all ran because we were all under age.

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2011, 8:20 am

Jonsi wrote:
Didn't have other plans. I just didn't go. I never go to those kinds of things. Crappy pop music + standing around, talking = fun? Does not compute.

I had a fun night at home. :D

That equation is like dividing by zero! Madness!

TheWeirdPig
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2011, 12:29 pm

I didn't go. A friend of mine asked the girl I wanted to take. I don't know if she would have gone with me. As I look back, I think she would have . . . and I know she would have had a better time with me. Even if he hadn't asked her, I don't think I would have had the courage to ask her anyway.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 12:49 pm

Well... It's my prom night tonight, and guess what, here I am, on the laptop in my pyjamas! :lol:

People here haven't tended to ask their partners or people they find attractive, they're just going in a big group of friends. I was asked by my mates but didn't really fancy it... Not my thing.

But don't worry about not being asked! Plenty of people here haven't! :)

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 1:21 pm

I got asked but I had no plans on going therefore, I did not

skysoar
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2011, 7:27 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
I am not going.

I did not go either, I had no interest.

- skysoar

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 2:41 am

Someone tried to fix me up for it and I remember laughing at the idea. It seemed like something that another species would be involved with as that world had absolutely nothing to do with me.

Around that time a friend of mine sincerely remarked that "within months" we'd both be in relationships and looking back at our single high school years. I remember nodding and thinking, "what the f is he talking about?". I knew that world was far away from me and I was right. It took me years to make any serious effort toward that.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

12 May 2011, 6:32 am

Yes, I am a girl and I was asked by a guy
Yes, I am a girl who went stag with friends
Yes, I am a girl who went by herself- Where is Yes, I am a boy who went by himself ?
Yes, I am a boy who asked a girl- Where is Yes, I am a girl who asked a boy ?
Yes, I am a boy who went stag with friends
No, I am a girl who didn't get asked- Where is No, I am a boy who didn't get asked ?
No, I am a girl who turned someone down- Where is No, I am a boy who turned someone down ?
No, I am a boy who was too shy to ask- Where is No, I am a girl who was too shy to ask ?
No, I am a boy who didn't know who to ask- Where is No, I am a girl who didn't know who to ask ?
No, I am a boy or girl who had other plans

Where is:
Yes, I am a girl and had a boyfriend ? (Mine.)
Yes, I am a boy who had a girlfriend ?

Lessons learned: girls do not ask out boys, it is only boys who get turned down, and 18 year olds are not in relationships

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 12:49 am

I didn't go to either the junior or the senior prom.