Is religious belief that important to you in a relationship?

Page 1 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 9:15 am

You'd think so, but I was surprised when I dated religious girls. Their personalities were such that they stayed devout, but never pressured me to buy into their belief. I think they just assumed I was Christian of some kind, but it worked out well in the long run.

What do you think? Is it important to you at all?

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 9:19 am

I could never date someone religious. I even struggle when other atheists celebrate christmas and easter.

I dated a jewish boy once that ended in me being asked to leave after I mentioned i was anti-RIC :lol:

So I'm never in a rush

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 9:45 am

Yes, theistic NON-belief is important to me.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 9:51 am

I'm very religious, but why is it such a big deal? As long as we care about each other and respect each others beliefs, I don't see what the problem is.

It's my family that would freak out. My grandparents and father want a tall, handsome Catholic, my stepdad wants a rich, sexy Protestant war machine, my mom doesn't care, and my brothers are insistant on bad-boy athiests. Apparently I have no say in the matter :roll:.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 9:54 am

GammaGeek wrote:
I'm very religious, but why is it such a big deal? As long as we care about each other and respect each others beliefs, I don't see what the problem is.

Some people are unable to bring themselves to respect some beliefs.

I can empathize, about the family. I'm still dealing with deep anger from my parents over losing my virginity to a mixed-race boy.

:roll:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 9:54 am

I don't know if I could date someone with religious views too much unlike my own, I'd be constantly disagreeing with them and if they were really religious it would drive me mad and it just wouldn't be much fun.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 9:55 am

MONKEY wrote:
I don't know if I could date someone with religious views too much unlike my own, I'd be constantly disagreeing with them and if they were really religious it would drive me mad and it just wouldn't be much fun.

There's the added issue of how to raise children.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 9:56 am

Solvejg wrote:
I could never date someone religious. I even struggle when other atheists celebrate christmas and easter.

I dated a jewish boy once that ended in me being asked to leave after I mentioned i was anti-RIC :lol:

Rhode Island College.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:06 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

There's the added issue of how to raise children.

That's true, my ideas on how to raise a kid are the opposite to how a very conservative christian would go about it. They are more about traditional values and strictness and are usually very prudish when it comes to telling their kids how the world works. Where as I'd be more of the "free spirit" type.
I could never get really serious with a religious person for so many reasons.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:09 am

I'm atheist......religiosity isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, but it sets off a warning bell. The more intense the reilgion, the louder the bell.

I know it can work OK between an atheist and a theist.....it helps when the religious one avoids saying that there is a god and the atheist avoids saying there isn't. It means that there's an area of life that the religious one can't share with the atheist, and if the religiosity is intense then that could be seen as a very important area......for the atheist there might be problems with the SO putting lots of energy into the religion, church etc., instead of into the relationship.

But it depends on the people. Religion can be used as a horrific weapon if two people really want to hurt each other. Even within religion there's no hiding place from hate. A Catholic friend of mine told me that one thing that caused an incredible amount of ill-feeling with her ex was that he felt that morality was set in stone and handed down from above, while she felt that it was down to the individual to define their own idea of right and wrong for themselves, according to their personal experience. Go figure. :?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:17 am

ToughDiamond wrote:

But it depends on the people. Religion can be used as a horrific weapon if two people really want to hurt each other. Even within religion there's no hiding place from hate.

Yeah, true. When it's convenient, all the lovey-dovey bulls**t goes out the window.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:24 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I know it can work OK between an atheist and a theist.....it helps when the religious one avoids saying that there is a god and the atheist avoids saying there isn't.

Most atheists are not strong atheists.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:30 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I'm atheist......religiosity isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, but it sets off a warning bell. The more intense the reilgion, the louder the bell.

I know it can work OK between an atheist and a theist.....it helps when the religious one avoids saying that there is a god and the atheist avoids saying there isn't. It means that there's an area of life that the religious one can't share with the atheist, and if the religiosity is intense then that could be seen as a very important area......for the atheist there might be problems with the SO putting lots of energy into the religion, church etc., instead of into the relationship.

But it depends on the people. Religion can be used as a horrific weapon if two people really want to hurt each other. Even within religion there's no hiding place from hate. A Catholic friend of mine told me that one thing that caused an incredible amount of ill-feeling with her ex was that he felt that morality was set in stone and handed down from above, while she felt that it was down to the individual to define their own idea of right and wrong for themselves, according to their personal experience. Go figure. :?

That would be the main problem for me, having to avoid certain topics like the plague in fear of offending/argument because of the clash of opinions. I don't want certain topics to be off limits like that in a relationship. And I get very wound up in debates, so if they were a devout muslim for example I wouldn't be able to keep a lid on it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:33 am

GammaGeek wrote:

I think some people find comfort or a sense of security within their particular "clubbie mindset" or whatever, and then even just the thought of being involved with someone from a different "club" (as they perceive things) can cause them to feel threatened in some way or even like they would be "consorting with the enemy".

Bottom line here? Actions, not mere beliefs, determine real-life compatibility. To wit:

My wife and I do not share identical beliefs, but our actions toward each other do not clash.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:38 am

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that many people stick with those that share similar ideals to them. "Birds of a feather" and all that.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:39 am

leejosepho wrote:
GammaGeek wrote:

I think some people find comfort or a sense of security within their particular "clubbie mindset" or whatever, and then even just the thought of being involved with someone from a different "club" (as they perceive things) can cause them to feel threatened in some way or even like they would be "consorting with the enemy".

Bottom line here? Actions, not mere beliefs, determine real-life compatibility. To wit:

My wife and I do not share identical beliefs, but our actions toward each other do not clash.

That might also have to do with personality. Put one of those fight-about-everything personalities in any belief system, you'd better agree with them on everything or it won't work in the long run.