Page 3 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

For dates/attracting people, how much does clothing matter?
Not much 21%  21%  [ 13 ]
It matters a little. 29%  29%  [ 18 ]
A good bit 37%  37%  [ 23 ]
A lot. 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 62

mv
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 6:16 pm

Grisha wrote:
Yes - an awesome place! Sagan went with me on Sunday... :)

Very cool!! :thumright:

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 6:25 pm

Back on topic...

Clothes matter to a point. If you're wearing something that is unflattering to your body it can repel rather than attract a person. Flattering clothes don't need to be expensive or particularly stylish. (by stylish, I assume we all mean "in season")

I hardly ever wear the 'in' thing, but try to wear things that flatter my figure. Fact is, many of the items in my wardrobe are at least 5 years old. Some are over 12 years old. I still get stares and hit on constantly.

I'm finding hair is just as important. The longer my hair is, the more I'm hit on. I like having short hair... :D

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 6:45 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
(by stylish, I assume we all mean "in season")

I think ot may be different for girls, but for me "style" is more of a function of what image you're trying to project - and hopefully allows people to understand you better simply by looking at you.

I try to convey my general attitude toward life and give some hints about my likes/interests, in an effort to hopefully attract the right sort of person. I don't think I could do this simply by wearing very nice clothes that simply weren't "me". I think that (without having much choice in the matter) I am sort of a unique person who doesn't really fit in any of the "boxes" that people like to put people in, and my taste in clothes kind of reflects that.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 6:51 pm

Grisha wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
(by stylish, I assume we all mean "in season")

I think ot may be different for girls, but for me "style" is more of a function of what image you're trying to project - and hopefully allows people to understand you better simply by looking at you.

I try to convey my general attitude toward life and give some hints about my likes/interests, in an effort to hopefully attract the right sort of person. I don't think I could do this simply by wearing very nice clothes that simply weren't "me". I think that (without having much choice in the matter) I am sort of a unique person who doesn't really fit in any of the "boxes" that people like to put people in, and my taste in clothes kind of reflects that.

I don't try to convey anything with my clothes. I just wear what I like that flatters me. I suppose the result is the same, though. Like you, I'm not sure I fit into any set style. I could be in baggy cargo pants with a car show shirt one day, and the next tight boot cut jeans with a feminine top.

... then there's my geek shirts. :lol:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:42 pm

Grisha wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
I'd rather my date wasn't wearing a sack or clothes covered in stains. So I voted a little.

Maybe it's not a deal-breaker, but are you saying that you are completely indifferent to how a guy looks style-wise? Surely you prefer one type over another, at least aesthetically...

Well, not really. But I won't not date someone because they choose to tuck their t-shirt into their pants or wear a vest.
Everyone likes a smartly dressed man. I like men in suits and ties. But no, it's not a deal breaker. At all. All the people I've dated never dressed "trendy".

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 1:08 am

I'm not really privy to the cost of clothing...so whether it is expensive or not has zero bearing on my attention. However, stylish clothing does turn my head...I cannot lie. Women have some of the best options for clothing in my opinion. Men's fashion, on the other hand, sucks. Though I do like the suit and hat look circa '50s...but it seems really hard to pull that off today. I also wish cloaks were in style, but can't have it all, now can I.

Fashion is one of my current endeavors for personal improvement. Wearing ten year old t-shirts isn't cutting it anymore (even though they are clean). But wearing newer t shirts coupled with long-sleeves (think Sheldon in Big Bang Theory) is fun and casual. I also like to wear the occasional suit jacket and jeans combo. Fashion to me, now, is a shorthand, cliff-notes way of introducing yourself to the world. Yeah, one shouldn't judge a book by its cover....but if you've got a thousand books on the book shelf to choose from, there has to be some sort of filtering process.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 1:10 am

AsteroidNap wrote:
I'm not really privy to the cost of clothing...so whether it is expensive or not has zero bearing on my attention. However, stylish clothing does turn my head...I cannot lie. Women have some of the best options for clothing in my opinion. Men's fashion, on the other hand, sucks. Though I do like the suit and hat look circa '50s...but it seems really hard to pull that off today. I also wish cloaks were in style, but can't have it all, now can I.

Fashion is one of my current endeavors for personal improvement. Wearing ten year old t-shirts isn't cutting it anymore (even though they are clean). But wearing newer t shirts coupled with long-sleeves (think Sheldon in Big Bang Theory) is fun and casual. I also like to wear the occasional suit jacket and jeans combo. Fashion to me, now, is a shorthand, cliff-notes way of introducing yourself to the world. Yeah, one shouldn't judge a book by its cover....but if you've got a thousand books on the book shelf to choose from, there has to be some sort of filtering process.

DAMMIT! There goes... most of my t-shirts. :lol:

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 1:25 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
AsteroidNap wrote:

DAMMIT! There goes... most of my t-shirts. :lol:

haha...well, they still might work for YOU ;). For me, not so much. Perhaps in another ten years, my tees will be retro enough to be cool again. But right now, there in that sort of cooling off period between fashion and retro trends.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 1:49 am

I have a 20 year old Billabong t-shirt. Now that is retro. I still wear it, too. :oops:

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 2:22 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I have a 20 year old Billabong t-shirt. Now that is retro. I still wear it, too. :oops:

Most of the surf/snow... trademarks dont change their designs a lot from one season to another, usually its just a plain shirt with their logo on the front unless you are looking for something more unique.
So if the front logo hasnt suffered any damage and the shirt is still in good quality it can probably be mistaken for a more recent season(I still get asked where I bought my only billabong shirt and I bought it 6 years ago).

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 2:34 am

spongy wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Most of the surf/snow... trademarks dont change their designs a lot from one season to another, usually its just a plain shirt with their logo on the front unless you are looking for something more unique.
So if the front logo hasnt suffered any damage and the shirt is still in good quality it can probably be mistaken for a more recent season(I still get asked where I bought my only billabong shirt and I bought it 6 years ago).

Not only does the black shirt have a huge bleach stain on it and holes, Billabong's logo has changed drastically in the last 20 years.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 3:06 am

Megz wrote:
Grisha wrote:
Personally, I think stylish clothing is far more important than expensive clothing.

:chin: Hmm, I was under the impression that stylish = expensive.... The example of girls who think they're getting a "great deal" on pre-damaged jeans for $120 comes to mind. I don't understand fashion though. Maybe they're all crazy and that's not stylish at all, but I wouldn't know.
Anyway, I wear tshirts and basketball shorts most of the time (March through October in Texas). I have some nice clothes for if I need to dress up for something, but that's not very often.

Stylish =/= expensive necessarily. It's very possible to be stylish on a normal budget. You may or may not have noticed that for most super expensive clothing lines there are identical pieces in averagely priced lines. When you pay the extra expense, you're basically paying only for the brand label, not the item itself.

In your poll I voted very/a lot (whatever the most extreme option was) because clothing says a LOT about a person, especially for a first impression - which is exactly what a date is about. If you rock up to a date in scruffy, mismatched, unattractive clothes it is a turn off for several reasons. Not least of which that you didn't make the effort to look nice - indicating you didn't care too much about the person you're meeting.

Being stylishly dressed doesn't mean you have to be at the height of the latest fashion - it means looking nice, clean, and well-presented; wearing clothes that suit you and look attractive on you. Basically also wearing "dressy" clothes.

Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 5:24 am

What do you all mean by 'stylish'? That seems to be a concept I never understand :(

My sense of aesthetics is only limited to this. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt174027.html

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 5:54 am

01001011 wrote:
What do you all mean by 'stylish'?

Not dorky and outdated?

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 7:35 am

How stuff fits is far far more important than how much it costs, or even what type of garment it is.

A guy in a faded T-shirt and jeans that fit right is going to look much better than a guy in a badly fitted suit.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 8:49 am

While I think it makes up a great deal of the impression you make on people, I don't dress in rather expensive cloths to show off. In my defense, apart from my suit, I don't own any bit of clothing more expensive than 40€, as in: that's what I paid for it. I go to outlet stores, I only shop clothing when there is seasonal sales, and I take advantage of the strong Euro atm and buy clothing from the US via the internet. Shipping cost is negligable, and if I place a bigger order together with some friends, I save about 30 to 45% compare to what I'd have to pay here. I do not prefer brand clothing over "cheap" garments, but in certain areas - especially shoes and jeans - at least from my experience, you gotta invest a little bit just for longevity's sake.