Page 4 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

For dates/attracting people, how much does clothing matter?
Not much 21%  21%  [ 13 ]
It matters a little. 29%  29%  [ 18 ]
A good bit 37%  37%  [ 23 ]
A lot. 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 62

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 5:04 pm

01001011 wrote:
What do you all mean by 'stylish'? That seems to be a concept I never understand :(

My sense of aesthetics is only limited to this. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt174027.html

Yeah, I meant to add in my post what I meant by stylish since, in my opinion, it's very subjective.

For me, it simply means stands out, or catches the eye for its uniqueness. Again, it's not a deal-breaker if a woman has style or not, but it does turn my head -- and I often think to myself "Now that looks cool". It's sort of like 'I know it when I see it'.

I have a couple friends who run a vintage clothing store, and sometimes I see them sporting a 1920's look that I find to be fun, like this:

Or their 1950's collection that looks like this:

I should add that even though these two pictures depict women wearing dresses, it's not something I expect today.

For guys I mentioned 50's suit and hat -- think Jimmie Stewart in Vertigo for example -- but I'm not sure it works well today. I still like the look.

p.s., I like your photographs btw 01. Nice work.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 5:16 pm

Oh, and let me add that, just as one might only wear an expensive evening gown whilst dining at a fine restaurant, these fashionable items below are teh awesome in the right context (and I'm very sincere about this).

or

:P

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

I'd wear the first one, for sure. In fact, I have been looking for an affordable one for the next ST convention I find myself at.

*dreamy eyed*

Almost got a couple for Halloween for my kids. I'm not a nerd...

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 5:25 pm

This steampunk girl was so cute I actually found the nerve to ask for a picture...

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 6:19 pm

Grisha wrote:
I think ot may be different for girls, but for me "style" is more of a function of what image you're trying to project - and hopefully allows people to understand you better simply by looking at you.

Is "I dress to be comfortable and like teal" an "image"?

Lulz. I'm at my school library atm.

In pajama pants.

to his Interest."

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 8:45 pm

Grisha wrote:
This steampunk girl was so cute I actually found the nerve to ask for a picture...

That's awesome. You make a great pair. Are you into steampunk (or as my friend insists on calling it, steampulp)? I could see you sporting something like this :

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 9:10 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I'd wear the first one, for sure. In fact, I have been looking for an affordable one for the next ST convention I find myself at.

*dreamy eyed*

No, not a nerd at all ;) My nephews are huge Star Wars fans. My brother and sister-in-law blame my influence for this. The youngest will be a lightsaber-wielding Stormtrooper for Halloween. I had to bite my tongue to tell him it wasn't canon...haha. It in fact looks awesome.

I thought you'd have an ST uniform already, Tea? Where are your priorities! ;)

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 9:11 pm

AsteroidNap wrote:
Grisha wrote:

That's awesome. You make a great pair. Are you into steampunk (or as my friend insists on calling it, steampulp)? I could see you sporting something like this :

She was lovely, but I wasn't hitting on her - I was emboldened by the fact that WPs Sagan was with me which automatically "de-creepified" me and allowed me to feel comfortable being myself. Notice the "smile" - it's amazing what a little female company can do... :)

Yes, I love the SteamPunk aesthetic - but I would be more inclined to furnish my apartment that way or SteamPunk my iPad rather than wear the clothes - or some SP jewelry maybe...

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 9:40 pm

AsteroidNap wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

*dreamy eyed*

No, not a nerd at all ;) My nephews are huge Star Wars fans. My brother and sister-in-law blame my influence for this. The youngest will be a lightsaber-wielding Stormtrooper for Halloween. I had to bite my tongue to tell him it wasn't canon...haha. It in fact looks awesome.

I was too busy spending my money on these things...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-appare ... ture/9722/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/d31d/

Also loads of shirts from conventions. Note-worthy would be when I was pregnant with my oldest at the Vegas ST Experience during a convention. We stood in line for a restaurant right in front of Tim Russ and his family. My then MIL (bigger trekker than me 8O ) freaked and grabbed her camera to ask for a picture. :lol:

Poor guy was just hungry.

Er... I should stop blabbering now.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 9:52 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
AsteroidNap wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

*dreamy eyed*

I was too busy spending my money on these things...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-appare ... ture/9722/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/d31d/

Also loads of shirts from conventions. Note-worthy would be when I was pregnant with my oldest at the Vegas ST Experience during a convention. We stood in line for a restaurant right in front of Tim Russ and his family. My then MIL (bigger trekker than me 8O ) freaked and grabbed her camera to ask for a picture. :lol:

Poor guy was just hungry.

Er... I should stop blabbering now.

:lmao: :lmao: That first link cracked me up! I'm buying one....as soon as they're back in stock, that is 8O

also, blabber all you want.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 9:56 pm

:D

I need to get myself back to the ST Experience. Last I was there, it was still at the Hilton. Quark's Bar was awesome. I need a Warp Core Breach. ^_^

Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 4:38 am

AsteroidNap wrote:
01001011 wrote:
What do you all mean by 'stylish'? That seems to be a concept I never understand :(

My sense of aesthetics is only limited to this. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt174027.html

Yeah, I meant to add in my post what I meant by stylish since, in my opinion, it's very subjective.

For me, it simply means stands out, or catches the eye for its uniqueness. Again, it's not a deal-breaker if a woman has style or not, but it does turn my head -- and I often think to myself "Now that looks cool". It's sort of like 'I know it when I see it'.

I have a couple friends who run a vintage clothing store, and sometimes I see them sporting a 1920's look that I find to be fun, like this:

The problem is I don't see anything special in your examples. I am the type of geek hiding in the 'lab' all day. 'Attractive clothing' is just as hard as other social interactions to me. Perhaps I never have any friend to teach me the taste.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 5:38 am

lol that red headed girl makes a much better looking link than I do. Then again, her costume is top quality.. hey I should make a dark link costume!

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 5:41 am

01001011 wrote:
AsteroidNap wrote:
01001011 wrote:

The problem is I don't see anything special in your examples. I am the type of geek hiding in the 'lab' all day. 'Attractive clothing' is just as hard as other social interactions to me. Perhaps I never have any friend to teach me the taste.

For years I never cared about fashion or style. Never saw the point...it seemed like so much bullshittery (to use our forum's newly coined term). I'm just sort of learning things myself. So I understand your dilemma. And by and large it still isn't a huge deal for me if someone has style or not. But I look at it now as more of a fun thing, or as Grisha, I think, put it: a way to advertise who you are a bit. Thing to keep in mind is that style is highly subjective. There's no one 'correct' style, or taste.

I have a friend who loves Rockabilly. That style is pretty distinct. I was going to post another representative picture, but better if you google Rockabilly fashion images to get a wider scope of the style. Anyway, he's the one that sort of got me thinking about style, how it can help project, in a very short hand, quick way a sense of who you are and your interests.

I think the most shallow way to use fashion is to try to project how much money you make. But then again, it functions the same way regardless.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 9:54 am

ok, so i keep coming back to the thread and wanting to comment but i struggle with knowing how to explain what i mean. i'm going to try though, and i hope it makes sense.

for me, these are 3 categories:

1. clothing or personal styles that i appreciate or admire
2. clothing that i want my significant other to be wearing
3. clothing that i like to wear

number 1... i am really, really interested in fashion. i have studied fashion design (self-directed learning, but guided by my mother and sister who both have degrees in textile science / textile design), and i spent a period of time designing and selling some of my own concoctions. it was a hobby and i wasn't especially successful, but i really really notice clothing. i enjoy quirky fashions, vintage tems, unusual styles... and i am impressed with people who wear such things.

anything fun or interesing can catch my eye too... yes the bespoke suits, but also a person in skate style, or biker leathers, or a person in drag will make me look twice. but that's not to say that i would want to date them, and the people i date don't have to wear anything in particular. i dated one person who had unusual style once - he wore his own handmade chain mail and knightly garments he would wear in public, which was cool. but he was fine without all the dressup clothes too.

number 2... when i am seeing someone, if we are going out in public i like it if a man wears something relatively clean. i would like it if he feels comfortable in his garments and doesn't feel like he needs to "dress up" unless he enjoys doing it. around the house i don't see why i would care either way.

number 3... my workplace is casual so i am usually wearing jeans or sometimes an unusual dress. i have hats i like to wear. given the choice i wear vintage clothing, if i can find anything in my size (vanity sizing means that i am in regular sizes now but in vintage clothes i would wear a plus size so it is hard to find stuff that fits). i wear stuff that i feel looks cool or fun or interesting. i would like to have a bespoke suit of my own!! ! most days i wear normal-ish clothes because my weight loss has meant that i go through clothes too quickly to spend much time or money on them. however i have trouble dressing seriously, or like a grown-up.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 10:57 am

^^ that makes perfect sense. Struggle overcome!

I too sometimes fail to dress like a grown up, haha. And I know what you mean about being fascinated by a particular style, but not necessarily seeing yourself adopting it. This is how I feel with my friends Rockabilly style. It all looks really fun, and the aesthetic to me is appealing, but it's not a style I'd feel comfortable in.

That's why I believe it's more important to find a style and fashion that fits who you are, rather than trying to project something you're not.