It's not just aspie men that are confused and oblivious

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 4:02 pm

I came across this thread on Reddit: Men of Reddit. How do you react when girls openly flirt with you?

Many of the comments from men there are very similar to what I've read right here. In a way, it's comforting to know NT males can be equally confused by female "hints" and "signals" and mixed messages. (Yeah, OK, I'm sure a number of redditors are aspies, too.) On the other hand, if it's more common than I previously thought, then it's all the more surprising that women don't get the hint that men don't get the hint!

ReverieMe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2014, 4:23 pm

Yep. People have books, blogs, podcasts, articles, and more on how to figure each other out and get a date for a reason.

I think Cosmo's tips might be making things worse, though...

OlivG
Raven
Raven

02 May 2014, 4:29 pm

It's pretty common knowledge that the male brains are more autistic than women's (autistic women excluded). Evolutionarily, women are required to be more selective (and thus more able to use and read social signals) in the search for a mate.

[img][800:375]http://i58.tinypic.com/339hjf4.jpg[/img]

It's not possible that they could read anyone's minds directly and thus know by default that men lack some of those abilities, so it's just a natural side effect that they tend to assume that everyone is as capable of using social signals as them.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 5:36 pm

While Wikipedia is nice to use, it might have been better if you used the links in those footnotes OlivG.

It probably has been discussed many times on this forum, but women signal interest and men either pick up on it or not. Hence men are the ones that have to do the pick ups or asking out. As a relationship unfolds, women may get frustrated at the man's inability to read her mind and will say things that the man will interpret as "criticizing". Women also complain that men are confusing and difficult to understand as well. Who would have thought?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 5:49 pm

Quote:
[–]thatlookslikemydog 2740 points 6 months ago
"Is she flirting with me? Nahhhhh...." And then 3 hours later I'm like, "s**t." Then I fap.

:lol:

The internet is crowded by socially inepts, they don't really represent most NTs.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 6:12 pm

I'm fixing to be fifty and I'm still confused.
That's why I stay at home mostly.
I tried going to parties and get togethers,it was no better than grade school.Always the same people at them,like some sort of Groundhog Day party.Even the music would be the same.The same small talk.Not even worth the gas or the time to get ready.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 6:22 pm

OlivG wrote:
It's pretty common knowledge that the male brains are more autistic than women's (autistic women excluded)

Polar bear facepalm.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 6:37 pm

It's been common knowledge for ice-ages that hetro-guys are not the first and finest example of fine-tuned social understanding and perception.

Blundering oaf is a much more accurate term.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 6:49 pm

jesus, not this evo-psych stuff again. I thought it had died a well-deserved death in the '00s. The way you guys make a beeline for the least reliable sources on sex and women is astonishing to me. It's surefire.

I love the very serious sex studies that go on at college campuses, too, as though they're representative of anything but...college campuses.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 6:58 am

But it refers to 'evolution' in the title! Only creationists question evolution! etc.

I guess it's a lot safer to consider women theoretically (however wacky the theory), to create an abstract 'woman' who can then stand in for all women everywhere ever, than actually get to know some.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.