Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

LifeOfALez
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2011, 8:34 am

i have AS and my Life Partner does not. Its a hard struggle everyday but we make it work. She tries so hard to be understanding and I do my best to accommodate her and do what I can. Everyone else sees our relationship as extremely good or extremely bad because of the way we have to deal with everything but all that matters to us that it works for us. we are actually coming up on our 2 year anniversary in April.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 1:27 pm

LifeOfALez wrote:
i have AS and my Life Partner does not. Its a hard struggle everyday but we make it work. She tries so hard to be understanding and I do my best to accommodate her and do what I can. Everyone else sees our relationship as extremely good or extremely bad because of the way we have to deal with everything but all that matters to us that it works for us. we are actually coming up on our 2 year anniversary in April.

Congratulations, it shouldn't matter what other people see or how they perceive your relationship as long as you're happy, it's also good that you're facing situations directly and making an effort to show understanding and effort towards each other.

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

This is good to hear. You seem to be doing great so don't pay attention to what other people say. I think the relationship depends on the two people involved more than their neurodiversity status. Yes, a relationship between someone on the spectrum and a NT person has its challenges, but I do think it depends on the individuals more than the diagnosis.

Personally, I feel good in a relationship with an understanding NT. Helps me get back on track when I get too involved into the AS things and thoughts.