Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 10:04 am

I think I've finally gathered enough evidence to convince me that I simply cannot function in a romantic relationship and I've given up trying - I am simply too oblivious regarding my own feelings, and especially the way I make others feel, either good or bad.

Anyone else ever get to this point?

Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 10:15 am

I think I reached this conclusion long ago.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 10:24 am

Yes. Though I'm telling myself it's just a long, long, long break.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 10:26 am

01001011 wrote:

How did you make the transition? I find myself just trying to immerse myself in my hobbies and special interests, which certainly helps, but my self-image has always been as one half of a "couple", even when I wasn't in a relationship.

I simply can't conceive of a world view where it's just "me" - does that make any sense?

Or maybe I can, but for some reason it scares the sh*t out of me...

mv
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 10:28 am

I think you have to make a conscious paradigm shift and realize that even when you're part of a couple, you're still an individual person in most ways.

It's lifechanging (to make paradigm shifts) but can be very helpful.

In my opinion, you should be a healthy individual before you're part of a couple, always. And you should remain an individual even within a couple. Always.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 10:40 am

mv wrote:
Yes. Though I'm telling myself it's just a long, long, long break.

^ Same.

A ten year long break, for me. It doesn't feel like it's been that long, though.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 10:41 am

I have yet to start.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

Grisha - my advice; glob-trot, go everywhere you've always wanted to, become a profound hobbyist, indulge whatever creative dreams you have to the fullest if you have any aspirations in that direction.

IMHO you're pretty much situated to be the Dos Equis 'Most Interesting Aspie Alive'. Climb Kilamajaro! Drink Malbec in Patagonia! Take an ATV out the dunes around Dubai! Do research into sound engineering and start your own recording label! Grab some foreign restaurant franchises and try them out here! Start an AI research firm! Buy a really slick little condo in Gold Coast Queensland, or on Ibiza, or in the Canary Islands for vacations!

I guess I'm just saying - when you have the mind on you and the interest to draw resources together to whatever extent you want, why follow the roadmap of society when you can be one of the elite few who are the map-builders? I have a feeling to that, by the time you really figure out how to have fun and can be your best self, you'll throw out a lot more gravitation to the right women anyway and the ones that are turned off by you being you - that's 10% cloud, 90% silver lining since really that saves you from a bunch of awkward dates with people who wouldn't like you anyway and if they pretended you'd be in a relationship that you'd absolutely hate.

(edit: I originally said Goldcoast NSW - big brainfart)

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 24 Feb 2012, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:27 am

Grisha wrote:
I think I've finally gathered enough evidence to convince me that I simply cannot function in a romantic relationship and I've given up trying

Aw, that seems like such a waste.

Grisha wrote:
Anyone else ever get to this point?

No, not yet, which might be surprising for someone with a track record like mine, lol. I'm pretty sure can I can stand having my heart trampled on at least a few more times before my hope will be killed completely.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:37 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Grisha - my advice; glob-trot, go everywhere you've always wanted to, become a profound hobbyist, indulge whatever creative dreams you have to the fullest if you have any aspirations in that direction.

IMHO you're pretty much situated to be the Dos Equis 'Most Interesting Aspie Alive'. Climb Kilamajaro! Drink Malbec in Patagonia! Take an ATV out the dunes around Dubai! Do research into sound engineering and start your own recording label! Grab some foreign restaurant franchises and try them out here! Start an AI research firm! Buy a really slick little condo in Gold Coast NSW, or on Ibiza, or in the Canary Islands for vacations!

I guess I'm just saying - when you have the mind on you and the interest to draw resources together to whatever extent you want, why follow the roadmap of society when you can be one of the elite few who are the map-builders? I have a feeling to that, by the time you really figure out how to have fun and can be your best self, you'll throw out a lot more gravitation to the right women anyway and the ones that are turned off by you being you - that's 10% cloud, 90%
silver lining since really that saves you from a bunch of awkward dates with people who wouldn't like you anyway and if they pretended you'd be in a relationship that you'd absolutely hate.

Thanks for the pep-talk! :)

I'm definitely doing my own thing in life with a fair amount of success, but the current situation has more to do with my inherent inability to fulfill someone's emotional needs - it's not a matter of attracting the right person. I honestly don't believe this can be overcome.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:42 am

I prefer being solo, and yes, you can be happy and complete as "one" person. People who think they need to be with other people all of the time in order to be happy, are too needy. My younger brother's ex girl friend was like that. Unfortunately, the shack-up led to a shacklet, and neither parent was suited to being a parent, so my nephew was raised by his maternal grand parents. People who aren't suited to parenthood should keep their legs crossed, or at least use birth control. And I am not referring to the murder of the pre-born.

Back on topic--before looking for a partner, you really need to first find yourself. That is, develop who and what you are. Trying to do that while also developing a relationship tends to put a strain on the relationship. It is very hard to be with someone who is still in the process of growing into who they are to become, because the relationship starts with the people being one thing, and then at least one of the people changes. They may not like what each has changed to.

Never forget that being solo is a viable option. You can do what you want when you want, within the limits of work, appointments, etc. You also don't have to put up with difficult people much when you are solo.

I am basically a hermit, and live alone, my phone is hooked to an answer machine to screen calls, and I don't have to pick up if I don't want to, and I get to not invite people over, since I don't go much for company. I also get to not attend parties and family get-togethers, unless I choose to go. I have health problems, which cause me to have an irregular schedule, so I eat when I choose, not on someone else's schedule. I also get to pick what I want to eat--as long as it is in the house, and without constant criticism of every molecule I injest. :-D

I lived with relatives most of my life, and have lived alone for several years now. I never want to live with anyone again! Alone is much better for me. When I lived with relatives, we all drove one another crazy, as they couldn't deal with my being different, and I couldn't handle their unrealistic demands that I behave normal. We get along better now that we don't live together.

So remember, being solo is not the end of the world. Just take time to grow into being yourself before you try couple-hood. That way, if it doesn't work, you can still fall back on being solo, and won't be freaking out about that.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:43 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
IMHO you're pretty much situated to be the Dos Equis 'Most Interesting Aspie Alive'. Climb Kilamajaro! Drink Malbec in Patagonia! Take an ATV out the dunes around Dubai! Do research into sound engineering and start your own recording label! Grab some foreign restaurant franchises and try them out here! Start an AI research firm! Buy a really slick little condo in Gold Coast NSW, or on Ibiza, or in the Canary Islands for vacations!

Lol, that all sounds like stuff you'd want to do, especially the sound engineering thing. Trying to live vicariously through Grisha a little?

Last edited by blueroses on 24 Feb 2012, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:43 am

Grisha wrote:
01001011 wrote:

How did you make the transition? I find myself just trying to immerse myself in my hobbies and special interests, which certainly helps, but my self-image has always been as one half of a "couple", even when I wasn't in a relationship.

I simply can't conceive of a world view where it's just "me" - does that make any sense?

Or maybe I can, but for some reason it scares the sh*t out of me...

To begin with I never have a date. But YMMV.

I did an experiment of fantasing having a girlfriend. The rules are:
- no magic: she can only do what a real person is supposed to do
- no sex robot: the relation is suppoesd to be permeanent based on mutual respect
- no split up

It appears such a relation is not going to fit anywhere in my real life - and that does not take into account the time it takes to maintain a real relation. Simply put I cant even live with a dog, let alone a person. At least as far as reason goes, that is the conclusion, whether I like it or not.

Pherhaps you can fantasize a girlfriend like I do and see how far you can go?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:52 am

Grisha wrote:
I'm definitely doing my own thing in life with a fair amount of success, but the current situation has more to do with my inherent inability to fulfill someone's emotional needs - it's not a matter of attracting the right person. I honestly don't believe this can be overcome.

I still say get yourself into something interesting, edgy, even sports-related (even if its motorsports). Buy a boat and start doing poker-runs for example, or get a yachting crew.

I figure you can do all kinds of things for financial success but there's certain things, like having a great sportbike and rubbing the chicken-strips clean or being into kyte surfing, that kind of command people's respect. Even much more respectively safe things; if you're out there, having fun, essentially IRL group videogames for grown-ups, you get to be a major somebody in a social sense. It would be great if you had any passions like that on the back burner, even if they were things that you knew you'd need to ease your way into for a long time.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 24 Feb 2012, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:55 am

blueroses wrote:
Lol, that all sounds like stuff you'd want to do, especially the sound engineering thing. Trying to live vicariously through Grisha a little?

One of my guy friends always argues that money can buy happiness and that its a matter of what you do with it. I don't know if I fully agree with his logic but, I would argue that if someone makes the willful decision to make their money work for them in the area of having all the tools for happiness its as good as theirs.

....and of course when I give examples I'll be speaking my own language. That kind of thing just goes with the territory. Just so long as he gets the general idea that I'm driving at....

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:57 am

Grisha, here's another thing; you could start an aspie investment group or mutual fund.