Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

a saying i am getting sick of.
My boyfriend and i have known eachother since November last year. and we started Dating at the begining of this year.
But everytime something goes wrong, his aspie rage n all that follows with an upset aspie male and i hear from his family "its just his aspergers"

So its okay that His aspergers is abusive
that he runs away from the problem. Its been a week, i accidently broke up with him. He wont come and let me sort it out.
I hear "just wait, be patient, it's his ASPERGERS."

I have AS, my best friend has AS, my BFF has AS. and a lot of other people i know have AS.

I am begining to wish he would just grow up and be a man instead of acting like this child who cant get their own way. Being aspie myself I often am childish but i face my problems. I am also loyal thus i am standing by him, but I really do not know what to do with his childish behaviour. Also his aspie rage is dangerous. His sister is scared to get hurt by him if she tried to intervein.
I dont know I really love him. I am just so sick of hearing ""it's his ASPEGERS" as an excuse cause no one wants to deal with his behaviour. I am sick and tired of him being able to get away with anything and everyone just turning their backs on his bad behaviour.

I feel so helpless...

It's been a week, while he now talks to me, as soon as i try to head the subject in the area of teh accidental break up which hurt me a lot, and he said to me "I am not trying to hurt you." but he has and it did, and his childish actions are destroying me.
it's hard enough I have to deal with university, my family who refuses to believe i am an aspie, and now this with the guy i love.

Should I confront him about it? and if so how should I do it - i dont want to make things worse for him or I.

I just cant keep going on like this, something has got to give.

Also Aspergers, why is it the end all of excuses? why must people just say it and then turn a blind eye to their aspie family members behaviour, even though its clearly hurting many people.

I dont understand.

Sorry for my long-ish post. =/

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 10:56 am

In "Thinking in Pictures" Temple Grandin credits her mother with not letting her get away with bad behavior as a major reason why she grew up to be fairly well balanced and capable of dealing with the outside world. Ignoring bad behavior can become a tacit acceptance of that behavior. Why should your boyfriend change if no one demands that he be a better person.

My father, also an Aspie, has always been very good at getting his way and my mother seemed to feel she had no option but to let him have his way. As a result, he is now extremely rigid and severely restricts my NT mother's ability to do the things she wants.

Hopefully others can offer suggestions as to how to address the issue with your boyfriend, but if he is unwilling to change, do not stay with him. You could very well end up feeling like a prisoner in the relationship.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 11:12 am

jagatai wrote:
In "Thinking in Pictures" Temple Grandin credits her mother with not letting her get away with bad behavior as a major reason why she grew up to be fairly well balanced and capable of dealing with the outside world. Ignoring bad behavior can become a tacit acceptance of that behavior. Why should your boyfriend change if no one demands that he be a better person.

My father, also an Aspie, has always been very good at getting his way and my mother seemed to feel she had no option but to let him have his way. As a result, he is now extremely rigid and severely restricts my NT mother's ability to do the things she wants.

Hopefully others can offer suggestions as to how to address the issue with your boyfriend, but if he is unwilling to change, do not stay with him. You could very well end up feeling like a prisoner in the relationship.

Thanks, thats exactly how it is also in my house hold. but for some reason they brought me up with "you cant get your own way all the time"
So i guess i just expect the same from other people. you're completely right I shouldn;t stay in a caged relationship and yes i agree I hope somebody can help me address my boyfriends issues with his "behaviour."

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 11:18 am

It depends. It can be very difficult for someone with Aspergers to put in a stressful full day at work, and then spend a few more hours in the evening helping out with chores. I think this is also true for NTs, it is just that what is easy for normal people can be very difficult for Aspies, like talking to demanding customers all day. But, it can also be argued that someone like that isn't ready for a new relationship--they have other issues that need to be sorted out first.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 11:36 am

Quote:
i accidently broke up with him.

How do you accidently break up with someone?

And why do you want to get back together?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 11:44 am

Well if he is behaving in a terrible manner intentionally and using AS as an excuse then he is being kid of an ass, I mean AS is not an excuse for such a thing.

If he's having some difficulties with his symptoms and is unable to control it then that is a different matter and maybe he should get help with that.

However from your post it does not specify what behavior is a problem, so that's all I can really say based on the info provided.

tronist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2012, 12:08 pm

Teredia wrote:
My boyfriend and i have known eachother since November last year. and we started Dating at the begining of this year.
But everytime something goes wrong, his aspie rage n all that follows with an upset aspie male and i hear from his family "its just his aspergers"

that he runs away from the problem. Its been a week, i accidently broke up with him. He wont come and let me sort it out.

I have AS, my best friend has AS, my BFF has AS. and a lot of other people i know have AS.

I am begining to wish he would just grow up and be a man instead of acting like this child who cant get their own way. Being aspie myself I often am childish but i face my problems. I am also loyal thus i am standing by him, but I really do not know what to do with his childish behaviour. Also his aspie rage is dangerous. His sister is scared to get hurt by him if she tried to intervein.
I dont know I really love him. I am just so sick of hearing ""it's his ASPEGERS" as an excuse cause no one wants to deal with his behaviour. I am sick and tired of him being able to get away with anything and everyone just turning their backs on his bad behaviour.

I feel so helpless...

It's been a week, while he now talks to me, as soon as i try to head the subject in the area of teh accidental break up which hurt me a lot, and he said to me "I am not trying to hurt you." but he has and it did, and his childish actions are destroying me.
it's hard enough I have to deal with university, my family who refuses to believe i am an aspie, and now this with the guy i love.

Should I confront him about it? and if so how should I do it - i dont want to make things worse for him or I.

Also Aspergers, why is it the end all of excuses? why must people just say it and then turn a blind eye to their aspie family members behaviour, even though its clearly hurting many people.

I dont understand.

tell him how you feel.

if his behavior doesnt change, you have to break up with him (forrealsies). after which, find someone new! maybe even another aspie who doesnt use his diagnosis as a crutch.

having aspergers is absolutely NOT an excuse to abuse you, and its hardly an excuse to act like a child.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

tronist wrote:
Teredia wrote:

I feel so helpless...

I dont understand.

tell him how you feel.

if his behavior doesnt change, you have to break up with him (forrealsies). after which, find someone new! maybe even another aspie who doesnt use his diagnosis as a crutch.

having aspergers is absolutely NOT an excuse to abuse you, and its hardly an excuse to act like a child.

Well actually since it is a developmental disorder, depending on the severity it certainly could contribute to some more or less childish behavior or at least behavior that comes off as childish. But yeah no excuse for abuse.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 1:14 am

Lene wrote:
Quote:

Apparently Its official if its on Facebook. So when I blocked him for some down time, so i wouldnt be forced to talk to him. (which i do when i am on FB its all i ever do do is talk to people, especially him) He took it as a Break up. Hence I accidently broke up with him!!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 1:27 am

Teredia wrote:

I dont understand.

Personally I would confront him about it. I would tell explicitly what I will no longer tolerate in a relationship and if he can't accommodate that then the relationship won't work.

There comes a time in the life of some individuals with AS where they have to learn the hard way that society, and other people will not tolerate behavior their family did, whether it is intentional behavior or not.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 2:13 am

Sounds like he's being overbearing, which might be insinuated by the mental instability and acceptance of his family. But people are all different. I myself would rather be single than in a relationship where fighting and drama goes on. If he's not taking "don't talk to me" as a sign to leave you alone, and you have to block him on facebook. Then its probably a good thing you guys are broken up...

But I suspect your problems lie in your personality's and nothing more. All this "I have aspergers", "No, I HAVE ASPERGERS!" talk is quite childish. Your not even diagnosed.... :roll: This whole thing sounds like its going to end in a giant explosion, with a lot of kicking and screaming.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 8:35 am

Nim wrote:
Sounds like he's being overbearing, which might be insinuated by the mental instability and acceptance of his family. But people are all different. I myself would rather be single than in a relationship where fighting and drama goes on. If he's not taking "don't talk to me" as a sign to leave you alone, and you have to block him on facebook. Then its probably a good thing you guys are broken up...

But I suspect your problems lie in your personality's and nothing more. All this "I have aspergers", "No, I HAVE ASPERGERS!" talk is quite childish. Your not even diagnosed.... :roll: This whole thing sounds like its going to end in a giant explosion, with a lot of kicking and screaming.

Actually its backwards, he told me not to talk to him, so i blocked him so i wouldnt talk to him.
He's diagnosed im in teh process of it.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 9:03 am

Teredia wrote:
Lene wrote:
Quote:

Apparently Its official if its on Facebook. So when I blocked him for some down time, so i wouldnt be forced to talk to him. (which i do when i am on FB its all i ever do do is talk to people, especially him) He took it as a Break up. Hence I accidently broke up with him!!

Ah right. Could you not have simply asked him not to chat to you?

Quote:
Actually its backwards, he told me not to talk to him, so i blocked him so i wouldnt talk to him.

Ah, apologies, just read this bit. I might have reacted the same way as you, depending on how he asked. Unfortunately, when you make changes on facebook the world and his brother are informed and it can be a bit humiliating to be'dumped' (as he's chosen to take it) that way.

You might need to give him some space now to heal his pride. Also, on some level, he may be trying to 'punish' you by making you feel the same way as he did (Ii.e. rejected).

I still think injured pride is a big part of why he still doesn't want to get back yet. But it takes two to get back together and you've already apologised and explained. Maybe give him another week (without mentioning the break up) and then play it by ear?

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2012, 11:38 am

I think a big part of what led to my last breakup was the way my ex and his family interact. They're a very small family, just him and his mom and his older sister. He has issues with anger and frustration, and I thought for a long time that the argumentative/hurtful behavior was something that they all did...after a while it started to become apparent that there's an imbalance there, and that he's the one who is most often being angry and sullen and the other people in his life kind of tiptoe around it, or just won't call him out on things.

He's not a bad person by any means but it is starting to seem to me like he was given the impression through his childhood that loving someone means being able to lash out at them emotionally (not physically, he is not abusive)when frustrated or angry and have them accept it.

I'm not trying to derail this topic, I just thought this experience might somehow reflect a part of yours.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 12:09 pm

Teredia wrote:
Nim wrote:

He's diagnosed im in teh process of it.

My comments remain valid.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 5:21 pm

I sense that he maybe further along the spectrum.

He shouldn't abuse you if he gets angry or upset, he should just let it all out in tears and let you know why he's upset instead....that would be a better solution.

Tell him that from me. :P