Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 8:39 pm

This topic is about the posts from people stating that they want a girlfriend, describing what attributes they would like, and not giving any information about themselves. Example:

"Hi, I'm Billy. I am looking for a girlfriend between the age of 15 and 21 who is into card games and eating mangoes. I prefer short blondes. Message me, ladies!"

What do they hope to achieve? Do they think that girls are just going to say "Hey, I'm a girl who meets his description! As a male who likes a small number of my traits, he must be perfect for me!"

I don't understand it.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 8:41 pm

I think it's somewhat worse when they don't really take the time to engage with the personalities on the board. It all comes across as a bit half-hearted, I think.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 8:42 pm

Nick007. Where are you?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 8:48 pm

This topic wasn't about Nick. He does talk about being lonely a lot, but he also posts enough for people to get some indication of his personality, and he does state what he would offer in a relationship.
This is about people who only have a few posts and thus have given no way for people to gauge their personality.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 8:52 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
This is about people who only have a few posts and thus have given no way for people to gauge their personality.

Would you date me? ;)

At least you have a fair crack of the whip with some of the more prolific posters though. The other point is that if you do respond to some of the people who only have a few posts, it's somewhat pointless because they may never visit the boards again anyway.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 9:05 pm

What I find most baffling is the effort put into those posts and how unlikely it really is to meet someone through them.
For example, I won't try finding a girlfriend here, as I think it's a completely futile attempt.

I live dozens of miles away from the closest active female users of this website, who live in another country, and hundreds or even thousands away from most.
Additionally, I'm such a specific case that I couldn't find one girl interested in me in ten thousand random girls, let alone the very few users on this continent.
I'm sure this applies to many of them, too.

It's not really a problem that they don't tell too much; it won't increase a nearly non-existent chance.
It seems to be more of a practical issue. They could write literary masterpieces and find women near them instead of pouring energy into this.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 9:08 pm

awesome topic is awesome.

Ellendra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2012, 9:16 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
I don't understand it.

Agreed. But then, this IS an aspie forum, so a certain amount of fumbling is understandable. I can hardly expect everyone here to understand the unwritten social rules of forum postings. Or of how to attract a girl online. :)

MissingSei
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Mar 2012, 9:54 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
This topic wasn't about Nick. He does talk about being lonely a lot, but he also posts enough for people to get some indication of his personality, and he does state what he would offer in a relationship.

I probably don't have much of a say here, but I don't think the problem is people who aren't really known members (as far as finding a date online goes). A lot people make these "wish lists" of characteristics, like you exemplified. You can't Build-A-Date....people usually go for some pretty specific things. I've done that while internet dating. I always ended up getting into guys who were nothing like what I thought I wanted. Of course some key similarities are necessary, but people need to lighten up and get to know others. even if they're not the hottest thing you've ever seen. You never really know what kind of spark you can have with a person. Go for common ground, general attraction and see what you get from a date. I think the whole world of internet dating would work better if at least half of the people on there felt this way.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 10:50 pm

Ellendra wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
I don't understand it.

Agreed. But then, this IS an aspie forum, so a certain amount of fumbling is understandable. I can hardly expect everyone here to understand the unwritten social rules of forum postings. Or of how to attract a girl online. :)

This! It might even be a good idea to sticky a thread saying we DON'T want those kinds of threads...or would that seem too unwelcoming :?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 11:14 pm

AScomposer13413 wrote:
Ellendra wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
I don't understand it.

This! It might even be a good idea to sticky a thread saying we DON'T want those kinds of threads...or would that seem too unwelcoming :?

people don't really read the stickies too much.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 11:27 pm

Hello, my name is being withheld because I don't want the drama.

I am a single male, about 5' 7", somewhat chunky (but working on it). I have brown hair, brown eyes, and more than likely tan skin (im in denial). I also obey all "no shirt, no shoes, no service signs". I enjoy origami, being alone, and traveling to interesting places. In my free time I post on WP and watch Netflix. I go out late night grocery shopping to avoid people and generally look quite pensive/angry in person.

What I'd be looking for in a girl is someone fair, and slightly brash. Not easily excitable and quite literal in how she takes statements. I'd like her to be preferably shorter with a proportionate build. She should be interesting and possess quality's and hobby's which I could learn from her/make my own. I'd also like someone who has the ability to read maps so she could help me when we are going places, and also find North, South, East, and West for me.

I'd prefer someone without a overbearing cultural background that consists of family events. Someone I could play a game with on the computer in pajama's. Computer literate is a must so I don't always have to end up fixing your computer every time something breaks - and then have to explain what I'm doing as if speaking to a child. Favorable traits would be, a interest in sci-fi'ish type movies. Or romantic comedy's like "As Good As It Gets"... She should have at least some musical talent, preferably piano so I could listen to her play.

Traits I would not enjoy are liquor, drugs, party culture, or gang related history. Use of microwaves is a major no (don't bring one into my house), also the consumption of milk (I don't want it in my house). Also diet products are a no, they are making you fat while calling it diet - learn already. Also if you have a fascination with drug humor, I hate you... do not watch these movies near me, do not turn on rap. This is annoying.

If you fit this, and want to pursue me further, PM me, via WP. Ah, and I'm located in Arizona.

-Nim

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Mar 2012, 12:06 am

MissingSei wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

I probably don't have much of a say here, but I don't think the problem is people who aren't really known members (as far as finding a date online goes). A lot people make these "wish lists" of characteristics, like you exemplified. You can't Build-A-Date....people usually go for some pretty specific things. I've done that while internet dating. I always ended up getting into guys who were nothing like what I thought I wanted. Of course some key similarities are necessary, but people need to lighten up and get to know others. even if they're not the hottest thing you've ever seen. You never really know what kind of spark you can have with a person. Go for common ground, general attraction and see what you get from a date. I think the whole world of internet dating would work better if at least half of the people on there felt this way.

I agree with that MissingSei.
I thought so as well when I read the post Who_Am_I. & BTW Nim I haven't been as active as usual on WP lately; I'm getting a little burnt-out/withdrawn/less obsessed from my obsessions lately. I'm still around but I'm not checking as much.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MissingSei
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2012, 12:19 am

nick007 wrote:
MissingSei wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

I thought so as well when I read the post Who_Am_I. & BTW Nim I haven't been as active as usual on WP lately; I'm getting a little burnt-out/withdrawn/less obsessed from my obsessions lately. I'm still around but I'm not checking as much.

Finding a good partner is hard enough without putting a bunch of restrictions on them....eh.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Mar 2012, 12:24 am

MissingSei wrote:
nick007 wrote:
MissingSei wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

Finding a good partner is hard enough without putting a bunch of restrictions on them....eh.

Or in my & some others here case; just finding a woman who will give us a chance seems almost impossible sometimes. Besides those list are meaningless 1ce you fall in love with the person

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MissingSei
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2012, 1:17 am

nick007 wrote:
MissingSei wrote:
nick007 wrote:
MissingSei wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

Or in my & some others here case; just finding a woman who will give us a chance seems almost impossible sometimes. Besides those list are meaningless 1ce you fall in love with the person

Eh, it's not always so simple. I give a lot of guys a chance and seem to never end up anything but a little heartbroken. Could be th other way around too you know. Who knows? =\