Two concert tickets but no date

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 1:21 pm

I received a pair of free tickets to the opera. Amazing seats, worth big bucks. But I have no one to go with me. I've asked a bunch of people, but no responses. Just depresses me to no end, that I have this great opportunity to go do something with someone, and there's no one who will go. What do I do? I'm tempted to just sell or give them away, and stay at home. I'm just sick of trying and winding up alone, and reminded of what it's like to be single and dateless.

Templeton
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

I'd go with you. I expect you live too far away though. And, as you mentioned dating, I'd want you to be a straight female.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 7:21 pm

Brianruns10 wrote:
I received a pair of free tickets to the opera. Amazing seats, worth big bucks. But I have no one to go with me. I've asked a bunch of people, but no responses...

Maybe they don't like opera music? I'd venture a guess and say that there's a very small population of late 20s-30 year olds who like opera. If I were you, I'd go by myself and enjoy the music...heck, there's no shame in doing things by yourself (I've even gone to theme parks solo), but if you have bills/important finance matters to take care of, then sell them.

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 9:16 pm

I've written ten friends/acquaintances asking each of them to the opera with me. Praying to GOD one of them accepts.

Christ you know you're a loser when even the offer of a free front row concert ticket isn't enough to convince someone to go with you.

I hate myself.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 9:31 pm

Should've mentioned that you received the tickets for free as a gift to imply that you don't care much if they get used for a date or not, since you're supposed to not appear desperate or whatever. lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 9:34 pm

It might not have anything to do with you. Many people dislike opera because of its "heaviness."

Some people might not like front row seats because the sensory input is intense there.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 2:24 am

Opera is quite a niche type of concert, i myself don't really like it either, yet i enjoy musicals and other (classical) concert performances.

Don't take every rejection personally, it is at least equally likely that the person rejects the activity or the timing.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 5:38 am

Brianruns10 wrote:
I've written ten friends/acquaintances asking each of them to the opera with me. Praying to GOD one of them accepts.

Christ you know you're a loser when even the offer of a free front row concert ticket isn't enough to convince someone to go with you.

I hate myself.

Most Americans hate opera. I would be hard pressed to convince even my closest friends of family members to go with me, and if they did they'd be doing it more to please me than anything. Just go by yourself and enjoy it - I've been to plenty of classical performances alone, and every time I go I always see quite a few people my age who are also there alone...probably for the same reasons.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 7:03 am

+1

I personally can't think of any circumstance in which I would attend the opera without a gun being pointed at my head. I'd say it's more the activity than the company that people are rejecting. If you want to spend time with other people, you'd be much more likely to receive a favourable response by offering to do something that THEY like, or better yet, something you both like. If you're dead-set on wanting to go on dates to the opera, reach out and try to meet opera lovers via groups or whatever.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 7:53 am

Cmon Brian, you're a smart guy.....you'll find your one and only one day!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Oct 2015, 8:01 am

I get it, if it was just opera it would be one thing but there are a lot of "fun" things I don't do just because I won't do them alone. Concerts of any kind being one of them, I don't go to any. An opera does seem pretty "heavy" and formal, I'd get not wanting to go it that if it wasn't your thing. Hopefully you find someone to go so you're not by yourself.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 8:31 am

My wife would cantor at her parents church, and some how I got pulled into singing in the choir after we got married and before we had kids. I thought I was good until the music director hired some professional singers. This one alto sung a solo (Favre Requiem??) so beautifully during a rehearsal, everybody in the choir became mute and could not come in at the right time, not just little ole Aspie me. I broke the ice by saying "My God that was beautiful." We all knew that if that happened during the concert we were toast.

Point being, its is f****ing hard to sing on key, loud, no microphones, on a stage, in makeup and costume, while moving around. They are talented! Makes you appreciate it. My in-laws had seasons tickets to the matinee at the Lyric Opera in Chicago, and we would go a few times. They had seats on the floor in the aisle. They have since passed away.

Might want to post where you are, and when is the opera, if you are looking for takers here. And what is the opera.

In my opinion, chose comfort over style when selecting what to wear to the opera. And go easy on drinking beverages. Some looooong lines during intermission.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 3:05 pm

I'd say sell/give away 1 ticket and still go yourself....I mean there is a good chance people you're wanting to bring along don't like Opera. I honestly don't particularly like it at all, and probably would not go to a concert of it even if someone did offer a ticket. Also concerts in general aren't all that great for a first date anyways since the focus is more the event and the music and you wouldn't have much time to talk or get to know each other and it can feel like too much of an obligation....maybe try simpler things like inviting someone for a cup of coffee some morning.

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 9:57 pm

I unfriended and/or blocked on FB every single person who declined or didn't answer my invitation. Because F*CK those worthless people. They don't want to hang out with me? They don't want to go out for an evening and not have to pay a dime? they don't want to share an amazing experience with me by going to see this opera? Fine. I don't need or want them in my life. I don't want them to hang out with me. It's their loss, not mine. I'd rather go alone.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 10:07 pm

Or they didn't want to go to an Opera concert or already had other stuff going on do any of these people hang out with you normally in general?....deciding to rage unfriend everyone you know because of declining a concert probably wasn't the best way to handle it. You could have just went alone without all that.

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 10:14 pm

Real friends do stuff together. It's not like I'm sitting at home alone waiting for the phone to ring. I'm the one trying here. I just want someone to come along, and they'd have to pay nothing. And they might discover they'd actually enjoy the show. Goodness knows how many times I've suffered through some horrid party or event because a friend invited me and I wanted to be there for that person. Isn't that what friends do?

I don't need worthless people in my life, and that's what these people are. Because anyone who takes but does not give is worthless.