My online dating site dilemma.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 7:55 pm

I'm a member of Plenty of Fish. I've been using it for awhile now. I've met two guys in the past off that website and one turned into a relationship, the other more of a friends with benefits kind of thing. So, the deal to myself was that I wasn't going to actively pursue anyone for the time being because I don't know if I'm ready to be in a relationship right now or not. With that being said I still allow myself to check if I get any e-mails on POF.

In the past I didn't mind approaching guys to talk to them on the website. I also had a good job back then and a bit more confidence. Lately I'm been very shy. I'm extremely picky about my guys. Lately I've had a couple of really good looking guys with personalities that make my heart jump when I read their profile who messaged me.

This is what I'm scared of, I don't think of myself as an attractive girl so I'm wondering why these guys are going for me. I'll admit I think I wrote a really good profile but I'm just so scared. I'm not officially diagnosed with AS but I'm certain I have it and I'm afraid that I'm going to screw up these potential relationships if I meet these guys with my quirks. I'm dreading that the meet ups will turn out really awkward and when they see me up close and in person they'll be regretting they even wanted to talk to me. Sometimes I think I'm too crazy to be with anybody. I have 7 pictures on my profile but I'll probably look different to him up close.

I really want to talk to this guy who messaged me but I'm so scared I'll screw up. Honestly, I know looks aren't everything but he's so good looking I'm afraid I'll be intimidated by his good looks and close myself off. I know I need to boost my confidence because guys don't like girls with no confidence. Sorry, I'm just freaking out. I'm just scared I'll screw everything up. I'm sorry if I sound shallow. Has anybody been in a similar situation or can relate to any of this?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 8:19 pm

nothing boosts confidence like experience. meet with someone you're interested in and don't say anything negative about yourself while you're with them. sounds like you're pretty hard on yourself. give yourself a chance.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 9:02 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
I'm a member of Plenty of Fish. I've been using it for awhile now. I've met two guys in the past off that website and one turned into a relationship, the other more of a friends with benefits kind of thing. So, the deal to myself was that I wasn't going to actively pursue anyone for the time being because I don't know if I'm ready to be in a relationship right now or not. With that being said I still allow myself to check if I get any e-mails on POF.

In the past I didn't mind approaching guys to talk to them on the website. I also had a good job back then and a bit more confidence. Lately I'm been very shy. I'm extremely picky about my guys. Lately I've had a couple of really good looking guys with personalities that make my heart jump when I read their profile who messaged me.

This is what I'm scared of, I don't think of myself as an attractive girl so I'm wondering why these guys are going for me. I'll admit I think I wrote a really good profile but I'm just so scared. I'm not officially diagnosed with AS but I'm certain I have it and I'm afraid that I'm going to screw up these potential relationships if I meet these guys with my quirks. I'm dreading that the meet ups will turn out really awkward and when they see me up close and in person they'll be regretting they even wanted to talk to me. Sometimes I think I'm too crazy to be with anybody. I have 7 pictures on my profile but I'll probably look different to him up close.

I really want to talk to this guy who messaged me but I'm so scared I'll screw up. Honestly, I know looks aren't everything but he's so good looking I'm afraid I'll be intimidated by his good looks and close myself off. I know I need to boost my confidence because guys don't like girls with no confidence. Sorry, I'm just freaking out. I'm just scared I'll screw everything up. I'm sorry if I sound shallow. Has anybody been in a similar situation or can relate to any of this?

you've gotta jump in there and see what happens. You've every right to meet up with a guy that invites you / accepts your invitation. Under no circumstances should feel the need to apologise for your appearance. Good luck and let us know

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 10:06 pm

:) Thanks so much guys. It means a lot. I'm going to message him back and going to try and stop being a downer on myself.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 10:18 pm

Yup, better to just go on and do it than regret what could have happened.

Aand... about your image issues, does spe ding time in yourself help? Because when I'm feeling lie not in the mood to socializing in the mornings I put on my best clothes, wash my face thoroughly, spend extra time in my hair and put on my best perfume, and I leave the house feeling like a boss :lol: Maybe doing that before meeting him would help? (to the extent it doesn't make you look like too tryhard of course)

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 12:45 pm

Okay, so he gave me his phone number and told me to text him sometime. He said he has a feeling we could have some awesome conversations. I in reply, gave him my cell number.

I don't know what to do now. Should I wait until he texts me or should I text him first? Also, I find texting a bit more awkward, I think it would probably be easier having conversations over POF rather than texting but I don't want to be rude by saying that. I'm not ready to talk to him over the phone yet either because I just met him this week.

He works nights. Should I wait or should I text him and if so when should I do it?

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 12:47 pm

Shatbat wrote:
Yup, better to just go on and do it than regret what could have happened.

Aand... about your image issues, does spe ding time in yourself help? Because when I'm feeling lie not in the mood to socializing in the mornings I put on my best clothes, wash my face thoroughly, spend extra time in my hair and put on my best perfume, and I leave the house feeling like a boss :lol: Maybe doing that before meeting him would help? (to the extent it doesn't make you look like too tryhard of course)

Yes, that's what I usually do when I go on dates but then I feel like if the relationship would continue it's not like I'll have time to do this every time I see him. It takes me forever to straighten my hair and do my makeup, etc. I have self-esteem issues with my body image and I have to get my hair and makeup perfect to feel confident but it takes forever sometimes.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 4:37 pm

Good to see it is progressing. How long have you two been messaging each other already?

And for better or for worse, my advice will come from the point of view of a man. It may be insightful in some ways, but I'd also love to hear what a woman has to say about.
I believe texting him would be a good idea. You start messaging each other, then up the commitment with texting, when that's comfortable you call each other and in the end you meet for a date. What the man usually does in these cases is to make the woman interested and comfortable enough to up her commitment, you appear to be interested but not quite comfortable? I know tose things are awkward, I still remember those times when my heart raced whenever I had to call my would-be girlfriend, and when I triple checked every text I sent, and when I obsessively checked myself in front of the mirror, all I can say is that you'll get used to it, and as you know him better as another human with flaws as we all have instead of the handsome face and the carefully chosen words in his profile and messages, you'll be more at ease. If it is really daunting, you can always begin with a small message, and hope he takes it from then on.

Hopefully later in the relationship you won't feel as nervous around him, as you get to know him better and stuff. If the relationship goes for long enough, he's bound to see your morning hair anyway, and from the point you are right now to that one there will be a progression of feeling less and less awkward, as you see that he likes you for what you are. And if he doesn't at that stage, then, you probably shouldn't be with him anyway~

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:27 pm

Shatbat wrote:
Good to see it is progressing. How long have you two been messaging each other already?

And for better or for worse, my advice will come from the point of view of a man. It may be insightful in some ways, but I'd also love to hear what a woman has to say about.
I believe texting him would be a good idea. You start messaging each other, then up the commitment with texting, when that's comfortable you call each other and in the end you meet for a date. What the man usually does in these cases is to make the woman interested and comfortable enough to up her commitment, you appear to be interested but not quite comfortable? I know tose things are awkward, I still remember those times when my heart raced whenever I had to call my would-be girlfriend, and when I triple checked every text I sent, and when I obsessively checked myself in front of the mirror, all I can say is that you'll get used to it, and as you know him better as another human with flaws as we all have instead of the handsome face and the carefully chosen words in his profile and messages, you'll be more at ease. If it is really daunting, you can always begin with a small message, and hope he takes it from then on.

Hopefully later in the relationship you won't feel as nervous around him, as you get to know him better and stuff. If the relationship goes for long enough, he's bound to see your morning hair anyway, and from the point you are right now to that one there will be a progression of feeling less and less awkward, as you see that he likes you for what you are. And if he doesn't at that stage, then, you probably shouldn't be with him anyway~

Thanks, your advice makes sense. We just started text messaging today. I've noticed though that when I text, I'm usually the one doing most of the talking and asking questions. I can kind of hook him in when I mention one of his interests but I still only get sentences and no questions. It's kind of frustrating. He was already kind of like that on our last few messages on POF but he still gave me his phone number and he still constantly texts me to ask what I'm doing. I don't know what to do to engage him in a conversation. I feel maybe I'm not smart enough for him. I don't know, maybe I should just let him come around and not worry about it.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

Huh... when I'm talking with someone, gender aside, I use the length of their answers and the times they ask something in return as a measure of their interest in me. If they give me short answers and no more, I assume they are not interested in the conversation. But what you say is true, if he messaged you first and gave you his phone first, he should be interested, so... :huh:. And from what you know about him, are you still feeling interested? Because a meeting in person will certainly give you a better idea of who he is. And I must repeat it... I don't know how is the case with you, but I find it extremely hard to keep a conversation going when they give short answers and no questions, and while in texting you can just stop and be fine, this is how awkward silences are created in real time conversation. So if you have one of those, keep that in mind, regardless of his interest on you or lack thereof.

And that says nothing about your intelligence. Those three days you guys have been messaging and texting shouldn't be enough to measure his. Cheer up :D.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 4:49 pm

Shatbat wrote:
Huh... when I'm talking with someone, gender aside, I use the length of their answers and the times they ask something in return as a measure of their interest in me. If they give me short answers and no more, I assume they are not interested in the conversation. But what you say is true, if he messaged you first and gave you his phone first, he should be interested, so... :huh:. And from what you know about him, are you still feeling interested? Because a meeting in person will certainly give you a better idea of who he is. And I must repeat it... I don't know how is the case with you, but I find it extremely hard to keep a conversation going when they give short answers and no questions, and while in texting you can just stop and be fine, this is how awkward silences are created in real time conversation. So if you have one of those, keep that in mind, regardless of his interest on you or lack thereof.

And that says nothing about your intelligence. Those three days you guys have been messaging and texting shouldn't be enough to measure his. Cheer up :D.

Yeah, I'm kind of turned off by the whole one word answer thing now. I don't know what he was expecting. It doesn't matter what I mention, he can say something with a bit of enthusiasm and an exclamation mark but then that's it, I'm the one usually trying to bring something up. It's just weird because the first few messages we had on POF were really good. I have a feeling he's either really immature or he's playing around and talking to a lot of other girls. It doesn't matter, I don't really mind. Whatever happens, happens. Right now I'm just focusing on going back to school in September and getting my life back together.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 10:21 pm

A one word answer from a girl is pretty much guaranteed she's not interested, but it can be different for a guy.

How long have you been texting? The two girls I've met off POF, it was about 4 days from contact to meeting.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 3:31 pm

Checking in here :D

How did it go? Did you two by any chance went on a very awkward dinner date where you two concentrated on your food, or that's just me trying to find connections where they aren't :lol:

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 7:12 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
A one word answer from a girl is pretty much guaranteed she's not interested, but it can be different for a guy.

How long have you been texting? The two girls I've met off POF, it was about 4 days from contact to meeting.

We've been texting for about 5 days now. He keeps messaging me and I can catch his interest with quite a few things and he'll talk about it in a sentence or so now but it's hard to keep him focused on one thing and I'm still the one usually doing most of the talking.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 7:14 pm

Shatbat wrote:

How did it go? Did you two by any chance went on a very awkward dinner date where you two concentrated on your food, or that's just me trying to find connections where they aren't :lol:

:P Nope not yet. I was thinking about asking about that. We've been texting for about 5 days now. Should I keep texting him for awhile or should I mention that we meet up...or should I wait until or if he asks me?

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:08 am

lostgirl1986 wrote:
Shatbat wrote:

:P Nope not yet. I was thinking about asking about that. We've been texting for about 5 days now. Should I keep texting him for awhile or should I mention that we meet up...or should I wait until or if he asks me?

Well... do you want to meet him? Do you like being the one doing most of the talking? Does he seem interested?