How should I approach women?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2012, 7:42 am

Hi everyone. I was wondering if you could help me. Today I asked out a girl who worked at the Waterstones (UK based chain of bookstores) in the town closest to me. I had spoken to her a couple of times before and just made conversation but when I asked her out for coffee today she just smiled and kind of laughed (Not in a horrible way I don't think) and said no. This has happened with almost every girl I have ever asked out and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I'm always clean-shaven, I have short hair, I'm slightly overweight but working on it and I wear t-shirts, jeans, sweaters and hooded and non-hooded sweatshirts. Should I be more confident and flirty when talking to women? Where do you draw the line between flirting with someone and harrassing them? (I don't harrass women) Maybe it's a confidence thing. I always get nervous when I approach someone I fancy. Can anyone suggest anything that might help? Is it a confidence thing? Thanks everyone :)

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 8:08 am

It's rather difficult to tell without seeing you on video, you could always go to a club, bar or any environment and observe how people socialize, this will give you a good perspective if you observe closely. Try reading some books on body language and social skills, don't get ripped off by paying thousands for some pick up artist seminar.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC4sXnox8Vo&list=UUznQwonpzuFdMzaTt7rgGEQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]

This guy has a very good channel and some really good videos that I think you'd find helpful.

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2012, 8:36 am

Thanks Wolfheart I'll check that channel out. I'll also try and find some books on body language and social skills as you suggest :)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 10:24 am

I don't approach women very often at all. I'd only do that if they'd shown signs of being interested in me.......if we'd talked together I'd be scanning the conversation for evidence........it's difficult with shop girls because they often pretend to like the customers just to get them buying more stuff. If we'd exchanged basic information (name, rank, serial number, whether or not they already had a partner, etc.), if she seemed glad to see me, and absolutely crucially, if we had any common interests, then I'd probably try inviting her to share a specific interest, rather than this stereotyped "would you like dinner with me," which always seems too bald and difficult to refuse without effectively saying "I don't fancy you." Though if we both had a passion for playing with food, I'd suggest somethig specific along those lines.

So rather than approaching them "cold," I'm just being my usual friendly self until and unless the lady hands out some kind of permission or lets me know that she likes me. If she speaks to me about anything social or superfluous to the superficial transaction, she's giving me permission to speak back. If I'm interested in her and don't see any reason why a relationship couldn't work out, I'll step up the warmth every time she says something nice or invitational to me.

I gather it's mostly about being able to interpret signals. Lots of women really love it when a guy puts his balls on the line for them, confidently making no bones about liking her but still being perfectly in control, being used to women liking him. He's not really taking much of a risk because he's read her signals and thinks nothing of jumping through a couple of hoops to pass her little tests, if she makes any. Naturally, if the guy can't detect any positive signals (either because of poor social intelligence or because she didn't actually give out any signals), he might impulsively try to force it, and he'll probably look awkward and scared, and she might pick up on the negativity and just get embarrassed. If I hadn't seen any signals, my next mission would be to observe her more carefully and find out where she's at with me. I'd also be asking myself why I was getting so interested in somebody I knew nothing about.........that always makes me suspect that narcissistic needs are getting the better of me and that I should back off.

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2012, 11:42 am

You make a lot of good points that I hadn't considered ToughDiamond. I approach and ask out quite a lot of women whether they give me the signals or not so there's something to be said for narcissistic needs getting the better of me. I will try to find out if a woman shares my interests and if so suggest we do something around that so thanks for that advice. :)

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 12:46 pm

DominictheStampede wrote:
Hi everyone. I was wondering if you could help me. Today I asked out a girl who worked at the Waterstones (UK based chain of bookstores) in the town closest to me. I had spoken to her a couple of times before and just made conversation but when I asked her out for coffee today she just smiled and kind of laughed (Not in a horrible way I don't think) and said no. This has happened with almost every girl I have ever asked out and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I'm always clean-shaven, I have short hair, I'm slightly overweight but working on it and I wear t-shirts, jeans, sweaters and hooded and non-hooded sweatshirts. Should I be more confident and flirty when talking to women? Where do you draw the line between flirting with someone and harrassing them? (I don't harrass women) Maybe it's a confidence thing. I always get nervous when I approach someone I fancy. Can anyone suggest anything that might help? Is it a confidence thing? Thanks everyone :)

Was she working at the time?
When you work a service job being nice and friendly to people is part of your job. People misinterpret that as a sign of interest often enough that gracefully fielding propositions is also, unofficially part of the job.
Asking someone out at their work while they are working is a little trickier because it's a little inappropriate.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 1:00 pm

How do you approach a woman? With caution, and while in cootie armor :lol:

JK will delve into this seriously later when I get back. Wolfheart has got the right idea, though.

And similar to what DWH said - in a professional or working environment do not always take kindness as a sign of interest.
It's part of the customer-centric mentality companies force their workers into, and while the times have generally changed women are still employed to attract more men into spending money and they are encouraged to make men feel wanted so they become repeat business.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 2:43 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:

That was a lot more appropriate than my "from behind with chloroform" joke.

People in service professions are obligated to be nice and friendly to customers, so women in these professions tend to get constantly hit on.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 2:47 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I don't approach women very often at all. I'd only do that if they'd shown signs of being interested in me.......if we'd talked together I'd be scanning the conversation for evidence........it's difficult with shop girls because they often pretend to like the customers just to get them buying more stuff. If we'd exchanged basic information (name, rank, serial number, whether or not they already had a partner, etc.), if she seemed glad to see me, and absolutely crucially, if we had any common interests, then I'd probably try inviting her to share a specific interest, rather than this stereotyped "would you like dinner with me," which always seems too bald and difficult to refuse without effectively saying "I don't fancy you."

So rather than approaching them "cold," I'm just being my usual friendly self until and unless the lady hands out some kind of permission or lets me know that she likes me. If she speaks to me about anything social or superfluous to the superficial transaction, she's giving me permission to speak back. If I'm interested in her and don't see any reason why a relationship couldn't work out, I'll step up the warmth every time she says something nice or invitational to me.

I guess I have a similar pattern. I approach it like friends, no expectations, and genuine that way, I do enjoy having female friends, I like women quite a bit. What usually happens with me when anything else happens, is a pattern of escalation across a number of interactions (I can't read subtexts well enough in the moment for it to happen in a single interaction). Eventually somebody goes crazy from it, and either drops out, or comes right out with it (usually the former, but thats ok). I'm happy being single so I don't regard anything as a loss. I am what I am, take it or leave it, lots leave it, a tiny few have taken it, and they're enough for me to deal with it as it is, without trying to put more on my plate.

It was harder when I was younger, because I was curious, and I figured all my problems would be over if I got a girlfriend, like if I wasn't single anymore, life would turn into Easy Happy Magical Funtime Forever. Hahahahaha, oh God, how naieve that was! It's more like, be careful what you wish for, and the grass is always greener on the other side.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 2:50 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
And similar to what DWH said - in a professional or working environment do not always take kindness as a sign of interest.
It's part of the customer-centric mentality companies force their workers into

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zNsUTWsOc[/youtube]

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 2:51 pm

TM wrote:
JanuaryMan wrote:

People in service professions are obligated to be nice and friendly to customers, so women in these professions tend to get constantly hit on.

LOL I made that joke on Omegle once as funnily enough someone posed the same question. It didn't go down well..

And agreed. These girls are hit on all the time and have arguably more selection than women only going there to go about their daily business. If you are going to hit on a girl working in a public place of retail, food, sales or other commerce you better be prepared for rejection, or have something good up your sleeve (and no, not chloroform).

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2012, 3:25 pm

DogsWithoutHorses wrote:
DominictheStampede wrote:

Was she working at the time?
When you work a service job being nice and friendly to people is part of your job. People misinterpret that as a sign of interest often enough that gracefully fielding propositions is also, unofficially part of the job.
Asking someone out at their work while they are working is a little trickier because it's a little inappropriate.

She was working at the time. I see what you mean about it being inappropriate to ask someone out where they work.

@ JanuaryMan: :lol: @ "With caution, and while in cootie armour." I'm not so great at being natural when I talk to someone I fancy. I think having something good up my sleeve may be something that will happen in the future when I'm more confident and experienced in talking to women.

@ edgewaters: Funny video :D One of my support workers said something to the effect that a relationship would not be all plain sailing but I'd still like to try.

@ TM: I can see how that would be the case. Maybe I should try meeting someone at a shared interest group, eg drama, yoga etc.

Thanks everyone :)

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 3:58 pm

I think that you should try to do some sort of flirting before asking them out.
If you are uncomfortable trying to flirt with them chances are that you are going to be uncomfortable during coffee/ whatever and things wont go well.

When you are trying to be flirty keep an eye on how she replies. If she is a passive/replying with a few words chances are she´ll say no.

This doesnt mean that if she replies well to the flirting she´ll have some coffee with you but it should help reducing the amount of girls that laugh at you when you ask them out

N.B: If you are unable to do flirting try to do whatever it takes to become more comfortable with it/better at it.
Currently Im in so many weird groups Im unable to go to all of them most of the weeks. This groups usually have a few female friends that are open to just about any kind of conversation and Ive been trying to become more comfortable flirting with them(this week there was some sort of success with a total stranger and I only had to say my line twice before she got it was a compliment :P).

TM
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 5:34 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
TM wrote:
JanuaryMan wrote:

LOL I made that joke on Omegle once as funnily enough someone posed the same question. It didn't go down well..

Yeah, unfortunately my criteria for "is this an appropriate joke" is "Is it funny" hence why I love Brendon Burns, Jim Jefferies, Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle type comics. Also why I tend to get in trouble for my sense of humor.

JanuaryMan wrote:
And agreed. These girls are hit on all the time and have arguably more selection than women only going there to go about their daily business. If you are going to hit on a girl working in a public place of retail, food, sales or other commerce you better be prepared for rejection, or have something good up your sleeve (and no, not chloroform).

It's not just about selection, they have an extremely good "shield" when it comes to being hit on. They are some of the hardest women there are to pick up simply because rejecting come ons is second nature to them.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:37 am

double post "deleted" :evil:

Last edited by ToughDiamond on 03 Jul 2012, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:38 am

edgewaters wrote:
I guess I have a similar pattern. I approach it like friends, no expectations, and genuine that way, I do enjoy having female friends, I like women quite a bit. What usually happens with me when anything else happens, is a pattern of escalation across a number of interactions (I can't read subtexts well enough in the moment for it to happen in a single interaction). Eventually somebody goes crazy from it, and either drops out, or comes right out with it (usually the former, but thats ok). I'm happy being single so I don't regard anything as a loss. I am what I am, take it or leave it, lots leave it, a tiny few have taken it, and they're enough for me to deal with it as it is, without trying to put more on my plate.

I've seen the "crazy effect" myself, yes. Just goes to show that there really were sexual feelings there all the time, though they'd mostly rather die than fess up. I think if the "friendship" gets to the point where it's likely to put off other suitors, yet has itself stopped developing, it's wise to talk it through, in the hope of pre-empting the "crazy effect." Generally it's still the man who takes the lead there I think.

Quote:
It was harder when I was younger, because I was curious, and I figured all my problems would be over if I got a girlfriend, like if I wasn't single anymore, life would turn into Easy Happy Magical Funtime Forever. Hahahahaha, oh God, how naieve that was! It's more like, be careful what you wish for, and the grass is always greener on the other side.

Oh yes, everything's a thornless rose garden until the honeymoon stage is over. By then I suppose the selfish gene thinks you've got her pregnant and that the magical feelings of parenthood will keep everybody sweet and distracted for a while longer........you can always kill each other when the kids have reached puberty and DNA has no further use for you. And we think we're so clever and classless and free. :(