A simple logical reasoning test

Page 6 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:49 pm

Rewrite:

In this test, "No" will be taken to mean "definitely not". For example, in the first part, "No" would mean "It is definitely true that some y are not x". "Not enough information" means "it may be true, but we can't tell from the information provided". For example, in the first "Not enough information" means "It may be true that all y are x, but there is insufficient information to tell"

Does B follow from A, if A is accepted as true?

A: Some x are y.
B. All x are y.

1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Not enough information.

Does C follow from A and B, if A and B are accepted as true?

A: Most x are y.
B. C is an x.
C. C is y.

1. Yes.
2. No.

A: Almost all x are y.
B: Therefore, some x are not y.

1. Yes.
2. No.

Bonus question! Do either of D or E follow from A, B, and C, if A, B, or C are accepted as true?

A. Many women like men who are smartly dressed.
B. Jill is a woman.
C. Jill says that a man's dress sense does not factor into his appeal for her.
D. Jill is lying.
E. Jill does not know her own mind, or life history.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:49 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
As to the point

Thanks! That clearified it! :)

Who_Am_I wrote:
do you read this forum regularly? If you do, you may have noticed that there are many posts saying things like "women don't like me because women are x, or prefer x trait". Then when a woman comes along and points out that she is a counterexample to the trend, someone else will come along and insinuate that she's a liar and doesn't know her own mind, because "studies have shown that women tend to say this and do that instead", while ignoring the fact that just because a study says that many of a particular group does something, it doesn't mean that members of that group do, and to imply that someone is lying when they provide themselves as a counterexample is evidence of unscientific thinking.

I do read it regulary, and I have read the first post in all those threads.. and then mostly left the threads. :) I get it now, you just made your point by creating an example a logical mind would understand.

Too bad it was illogical and lost its intended meaning, because of a typo. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh well, thanks for explaining :D Have a nice day

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:50 pm

aSKperger wrote:
hyperlexian - well, yes :) But I am an aspie. I really hardly ever find out they speak about me. So I may be the one on the list too... And if so, I need to deal with it, I need to improve myself and my appearance in their eyes. And other users would like to do it too, I suppose.

you could just send the OP a PM and ask if you are one of the offending members.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:50 pm

AsKSPGerger: Well then KEEP waiting a little while. Your "logic" and "reasoning" just give me a strong "where the hell do I start" feeling.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:51 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
aSKperger wrote:
hyperlexian - well, yes :) But I am an aspie. I really hardly ever find out they speak about me. So I may be the one on the list too... And if so, I need to deal with it, I need to improve myself and my appearance in their eyes. And other users would like to do it too, I suppose.

you could just send the OP a PM and ask if you are one of the offending members.

No, please don't.
I've seen him say in other threads that he doesn't think that generalities are universals, anyway.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:52 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
aSKperger wrote:

No, please don't.
I've seen him say in other threads that he doesn't think that generalities are universals, anyway.

oh yeah, fair enough!! !

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:54 pm

Blownmind wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
As to the point

Thanks! That clearified it! :)

Who_Am_I wrote:
do you read this forum regularly? If you do, you may have noticed that there are many posts saying things like "women don't like me because women are x, or prefer x trait". Then when a woman comes along and points out that she is a counterexample to the trend, someone else will come along and insinuate that she's a liar and doesn't know her own mind, because "studies have shown that women tend to say this and do that instead", while ignoring the fact that just because a study says that many of a particular group does something, it doesn't mean that members of that group do, and to imply that someone is lying when they provide themselves as a counterexample is evidence of unscientific thinking.

I do read it regulary, and I have read the first post in all those threads.. and then mostly left the threads. :) I get it now, you just made your point by creating an example a logical mind would understand.

Too bad it was illogical and lost its intended meaning, because of a typo. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh well, thanks for explaining :D Have a nice day

Snarky comments: totally necessary.
It was a typing error, not a logical error. The test APPEARED illogical because of it.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:57 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
aSKperger wrote:

No, please don't.

oh yeah, fair enough!! !

But on the other hand, posts in this thread suggest that he takes "I can't get laid so I will explain it by trying to explain human behaviour, mostly through guesswork, in terms of the Paleolithic Era, while ignoring that we are not in the same circumstances now and that the ability to adapt to different situations, or at least notice that things are different, is a major survival trait for humans", aka evolutionary theory, seriously.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 5:14 pm

edgewaters wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Not all Nigerian princesses who contact people by email to solicit money are fake scammers

therefore, it is a good idea to give those who contact me $10,000.

Not rational, because most are.

[...]

The problem here is the 0% or 100% mindset. If not all, then none - but this makes no sense. Neither does assuming "all" in its place.

Yes, but I get the impression that that is what the OP is trying to argue. I.e. "not ALL women/men are like A so it is incorrect to assume that all W are A," but in certain ways people are so overwhelmingly a certain way that betting too much on the very unlikely outcome that they're not can be a bad idea -- but logic alone won't give you that result. You have to use probability and gain/loss considerations. I.e. "don't bet more than you're willing to lose."

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 5:28 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Not all Nigerian princesses who contact people by email to solicit money are fake scammers

therefore, it is a good idea to give those who contact me $10,000.

Not rational, because most are.

[...]

The problem here is the 0% or 100% mindset. If not all, then none - but this makes no sense. Neither does assuming "all" in its place.

Yes, but I get the impression that that is what the OP is trying to argue. I.e. "not ALL women/men are like A so it is incorrect to assume that all W are A," but in certain ways people are so overwhelmingly a certain way that betting too much on the very unlikely outcome that they're not can be a bad idea -- but logic alone won't give you that result. You have to use probability and gain/loss considerations. I.e. "don't bet more than you're willing to lose."

That's what is called a heuristic, and we do have to use heuristics all the time because of lack of data, or because the processing would be too time consuming.

But false heuristics cause very serious problems. Example:

http://culturefusion.blogspot.ca/2005/1 ... istic.html

Therefore, it's best not to rely on heuristics too much, and be aware of the problems with using them. Even though we do have to use them, sometimes.

I think as far as the particular subject in question, there is a big flaw in the reasoning being used here. Faking it will never make you competitive with those for whom it is natural, and it usually precludes finding any sort of lasting relationship - you can't fake forever, and then the other person will discover they're with someone they don't actually know and who deceived them about their actual personal qualities. This usually ends badly, because it's essentially like forming a relationship with any random person, blindly. You're not going to ever find anyone compatible by faking it. Though this is not to say there is no effort involved.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 5:37 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Rewrite:

In this test, "No" will be taken to mean "definitely not". For example, in the first part, "No" would mean "It is definitely true that some y are not x". "Not enough information" means "it may be true, but we can't tell from the information provided". For example, in the first "Not enough information" means "It may be true that all y are x, but there is insufficient information to tell"

A: Some x are y.
B. All x are y.

1. Yes.
2. No.

It still doesn't quite make sense. Either B follows from A, or it doesn't. There is no such thing as "not enough information" when it comes to the question of whether B follows from A.

I think that your three options should be:

1. B follows from A.
2. NOT B follows from A.
3. Neither B nor NOT B follows from A.

Another way to put it would be like this:

1. A implies B.
2. A implies NOT B.
3. A does not imply B, and A does not imply NOT B.

Yet another way to put it would be like this:

1. If A is true, then B must be true.
2. If A is true, then B must be false.
3. If A is true, then it is possible for B to be true, and it is also possible for B to be false.

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2012, 5:41 pm

Quote:

Yes, 70 000 members will PM him to ask if they are on the list. How handy :wink: Not sure WP server could take it

Who_Am_I - no problem I am very patient :wink:
And add to your answer why do you mock someone who can't get laid?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 6:39 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Yes, this is relevant to this section.

Premise: Most x are y.

Conclusion: Therefore, all x are y.

Is this

A. True
B. False
C. Not enough information to tell.

Premise: Almost all x are y.

Conclusion: Therefore, some x are not y.

Is this

A. True
B. False

Premise A: Most x are y.
Premise B: C is an x.
Premise C: Therefore, C is a y.

Is this

A. True.
B. False.

The answer in EVERY case is C (not enough information).

Essentially your making the same statement over and over again: most X is Y, A is X, therefore A is Y.

In each case youve told us that "most" of X is Y.
You dont tell us anything about the minority of X that are not known to be Y- whether they are just not known to be Y or whether they are infact KNOWN not to be Y.

So in each case the answer has to be "not enough data to make a judgment".

So tell us the answer and tell us wtf this all has to do with dating and romance?

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Jul 2012, 6:46 pm

aSKperger wrote:
And add to your answer why do you mock someone who can't get laid?

Hey, if they can't take it online, they are certainly not going to handle it well in the bedroom. :lol:

So obviously, any mocking on my part would be out of the kindness of my heart.
Gotta thicken up the poor guy's... skin.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 7:23 pm

Blownmind wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

If the word "Therefore" hadn't been there, it could have been "Not enough information to tell", but as it stands now, it is "False", and "Premise C" is actually a conclusion(which makes it false).

Perhaps you really meant for the word "Therefore" to never have been there in the first place?

Agreed. Seems basic enough.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 7:29 pm

bizboy1 wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

If the word "Therefore" hadn't been there, it could have been "Not enough information to tell", but as it stands now, it is "False", and "Premise C" is actually a conclusion(which makes it false).

Perhaps you really meant for the word "Therefore" to never have been there in the first place?

Agreed. Seems basic enough.

The first problem is that, for me at least, the statement

Quote:
Therefore B.

is not quite the same thing as the statement

Quote:
The preceding statement implies that B is true.

The word "therefore" is a logical connective between statements, and it is not appropriate to use it unless the preceding statement implies the current one, but it does not really affect the truth-value of the statement in which it appears. For example, consider the following two statements:

Quote:
Cats are mammals.
On the other hand, cats are mammals.

Could you really say that the second statement is "false" simply because the phrase "on the other hand" is not appropriate?

The second problem is that if we interpret "false" to mean "A does not imply B", then there is no possible use for the answer "not enough information". You always have enough information to determine whether or not A implies B.