A simple logical reasoning test

Page 4 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2012, 6:33 am

Quote:
Only on an aspie board would this thread be in the dating section.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: great one :wink:

Who_Am_I - have you ever heard about Zeno's Paradoxes? It shows us that logic has it's bounds. And that you can't try to expain everything with simple human logic. Sometimes you need more. Thus this test has no value at all. But nice try :wink:

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Jul 2012, 6:43 am

aSKperger wrote:

Who_Am_I - have you ever heard about Zeno's Paradoxes? It shows us that logic has it's bounds. And that you can't try to expain everything with simple human logic. Sometimes you need more. Thus this test has no value at all. But nice try :wink:

You missed the point, but nice try.

And your "Thus..." nonsense conclusion is False regardless of context.

Logic has bounds!!
Since you can't explain everything with logic, everything is a potato and has a value of 3!!

Uh, yeah, ok.

You certainly put the Tsk in aSK. :roll:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 6:56 am

aSKperger wrote:
Quote:
Only on an aspie board would this thread be in the dating section.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: great one :wink:

So what you're saying is that if a test can't explain everything; it's worthless?
I'm not trying to account for the entire universe, just the very simple situations outlined in my first post in this thread. Is coping with those too much for you to handle? I see you didn't answer the questions. Were they too hard for you?
And yes, I am familiar with Zeno's paradoxes. I'd like to know: how did infer that I was claiming that logic DIDN'T have bounds?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2012, 7:29 am

Quote:

please explain it to me so I am not an as*hole anymore, thank you :wink:

Quote:
You certainly put the Tsk in aSK. Rolling Eyes

this too

Quote:
if a test can't explain everything; it's worthless

No

Quote:
Is coping with those too much for you to handle?

No

Quote:
you didn't answer the questions. Were they too hard for you?

No, too easy and predictable :wink:

Quote:
I'd like to know: how did infer that I was claiming that logic DIDN'T have bounds?

What I meant was - you put this as logic test, to show what mistakes people do. Than what, back to generalization stuff?

But as seen with Zenon, he could not come up with right answer, because the integral calculus didn't exist back then.
I see that kind of paralel here. You can't find the right answer, cause you ignore few basic facts about psychological and biological nature of human beings. You do not like it, ok. You do not agree with it, ok. But than your effort is futile. And you are frustrated... :/ But you are still trying, that's promising, keep it that way :heart:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 7:35 am

So are you saying that if something is generally true, it must be universally true?
Give me a yes or no answer, if you please.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 7:41 am

Oh, and when you've done that, would you care to outline exactly WHICH facts of basic biology you think I disagree with? Since I've never mentioned biology, you do seem to be jumping to conclusions a little.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 7:45 am

Be sure to keep in mind that biology and evolutionary psychology are not the same thing.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Jul 2012, 7:58 am

aSKperger wrote:
Quote:

please explain it to me so I am not an as*hole anymore, thank you :wink:

Quote:
You certainly put the Tsk in aSK. Rolling Eyes

this too

Since you asked so nicely, I shall. Basically, yeah, her point was pretty simple. The little logic example was to show how people keep doing all or nothing thinking about men/women, etc. She made the point. You then tell her, illogically, that because logic has no bounds, her test has no value at all. But the point of the test was to make her point. Which she did. But even if it didn't, you were not making a lot of logical sense. It makes you an a-hole, or it makes you APPEAR to be an a-hole, when you tell someone that basically they are a feeble little idiot, and then you tell them to keep trying. That sounds pretentious and condescending, and then it gets ludicrous when you try to tell them how they are wrong, and how they can't get the right answer, when you appear to be the one who is not getting it, and then you put winkey faces and hearts. Smiley emotions on their own cannot completely change what you are saying and make it polite. Telling someone that their effort is futile but promising? Well, don't do that, unless you are trying to piss people off.

Tsk is the sound in Ask. I was playing with the sounds in your name of aSK and the meaning in the disapproval of the word/sound "Tsk". You could alternately translate it to, "chastisement and regret into the asking of a question, shame on you"

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 8:26 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
I know 10-year-old children who could pass that test without so much quibbling; it's kind of depressing that such basic reasoning skills need to actually be taught in year 12.

Could you please write/rewrite the test as intended, and then explain what the point you were trying to make was?

...saying a 10-year-old child could pass the test when YOU made errors writing it, is kind of insulting to those who answered, and erroneous. So pretty please (with sugar on top) explain yourself.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 10:15 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Oh, and when you've done that, would you care to outline exactly WHICH facts of basic biology you think I disagree with? Since I've never mentioned biology, you do seem to be jumping to conclusions a little.

aspies and asumptions, are 2 very dangerous processesors... (that made no sense)... lets try again.. Aspies making assumptions is a very dangerous act...

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 10:20 am

Blownmind wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
I know 10-year-old children who could pass that test without so much quibbling; it's kind of depressing that such basic reasoning skills need to actually be taught in year 12.

Could you please write/rewrite the test as intended, and then explain what the point you were trying to make was?

...saying a 10-year-old child could pass the test when YOU made errors writing it, is kind of insulting to those who answered, and erroneous. So pretty please (with sugar on top) explain yourself.

ill clear this up as the grade 12 was my post (pages ago). I was a highschool drop out who grew up in the bottom level of schooling zones in Australia, because my parents could not afford better schooling. I was doing an adult education, and that was grade 11/12 in the one year... not everyone is able to afford the same education as everyone else, please be more considerate of others!! !

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

Holy smokes - no wonder we Aspies have such a hard time dating... we quibble over the most minor details like a murder trial! ;)

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 10:58 am

BlueMax wrote:
Holy smokes - no wonder we Aspies have such a hard time dating... we quibble over the most minor details like a murder trial! ;)

:lmao:

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2012, 11:46 am

Quote:
people keep doing all or nothing thinking about men/women

Could you make a list of this people here at WP please, thanks.

Quote:
that because logic has no bounds, her test has no value at all

No. Logic is limited. Her test shows some people are not very good at (academic) logic. But that's all she may get out of it. But proficiency at logic doesn't mean that... Who_Am_I please add what you wanted to show us by this test :wink:

Quote:
when you tell someone that basically they are a feeble little idiot

Never ever. When did I suggest something like this?

Quote:
Telling someone that their effort is futile but promising? Well, don't do that, unless you are trying to piss people off

Ok imagine this. John is trying lo learn how to ride bike. I advise him to do it with bike that has wheels. 4, 3, 2 of them at least for start, unicycle should by the last chance. But John refuses and tries it on the bike without wheels all the time, falling on the ground surprised. In my opinion his effort is futile, but it is promising he keeps trying. Maybe one day he starts to consider using wheels... and then, he actually sits on bike with wheels and starts ride it! What a relief, what a great feeling to know something new.
I like "never hang in" attitude, that's why heart symbol after my statement. Don't know what is the problem here :/

Quote:
So are you saying that if something is generally true, it must be universally true?

No, why? Look, why not to be more specific? I know it is all about male/female stuff. So come back to it. I think you disagree with this post for example http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4767859.html#4767859 Not so? Why?
And I am very happy you mention evolutionary psychology, we are getting somewhere now :)

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 2:24 pm

edgewaters wrote:
Declension wrote:
Finally, if we interpret "almost all positive integers are positive" to mean "the set of positive integers which are not positive has natural density zero", then it is true that "almost all positive integers are positive", since the empty set has natural density zero.

Whoosh! Right over my head. I suck at math.

The details don't really matter.

Essentially, the mathematical statement "almost all X are Y" means "the set of X which are not Y is insignificant", where "insignificant" could mean "finite", "measure zero", "natural density zero", and so on. The point is, the empty set is "insignificant" no matter what notion of "insignificant" you use. It's pretty difficult to think of anything more insignificant than the empty set!

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 2:26 pm

BlueMax wrote:

Oh, but we need to! Logic is questioned. The very foundation of many Aspies world. You don't go chopping at the cornerstone of someones world, you know!

;)