Page 5 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 2:31 pm

Teredia wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
...saying a 10-year-old child...?

ill clear this up as the grade 12 was my post (pages ago). I was a highschool drop out who grew up in the bottom level of schooling zones in Australia, because my parents could not afford better schooling. I was doing an adult education, and that was grade 11/12 in the one year... not everyone is able to afford the same education as everyone else, please be more considerate of others!! !

Yes s/he should be more considerate.

Good for you that you got it completed at a later stage in life, I admire that.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 2:32 pm

aSKperger wrote:
Who_Am_I - have you ever heard about Zeno's Paradoxes? It shows us that logic has it's bounds. And that you can't try to expain everything with simple human logic. Sometimes you need more. Thus this test has no value at all. But nice try :wink:

No, but you can explain some things, and there is no paradox here. It is very, very basic and simple logic applied to a routine sort of problem. It has value in demonstrating a particular sort of thing as ... being something that isn't the product of reasoning at all, because it simply isn't rational. And therefore, it is grounded in emotion/psychology, not reason or fact.

aSKperger wrote:
Ok imagine this. John is trying lo learn how to ride bike. I advise him to do it with bike that has wheels. 4, 3, 2 of them at least for start, unicycle should by the last chance. But John refuses and tries it on the bike without wheels all the time, falling on the ground surprised. In my opinion his effort is futile, but it is promising he keeps trying. ... No, why? Look, why not to be more specific? I know it is all about male/female stuff. So come back to it. I think you disagree with this post for example http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4767859.html#4767859 Not so? Why?
And I am very happy you mention evolutionary psychology, we are getting somewhere now :)

This is amusing because the person who made the post you referred to is not and has never had any luck at all ... but most of the people who disagree with his opinions, have. He is, in effect, the "John" in your parable, and that attitude he has, is his bike that has no wheels. He is, nonetheless, convinced that everyone riding around on bicycles are John and he is not.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 3:42 pm

Blownmind wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
I know 10-year-old children who could pass that test without so much quibbling; it's kind of depressing that such basic reasoning skills need to actually be taught in year 12.

Could you please write/rewrite the test as intended, and then explain what the point you were trying to make was?

...saying a 10-year-old child could pass the test when YOU made errors writing it, is kind of insulting to those who answered, and erroneous. So pretty please (with sugar on top) explain yourself.

I cleared up the error in the top of page 4; reading that post will really help.
And please don't try to make this about what sort of education people could afford; I was university-educated, but it was long before then that I figured out such things as "some does not mean all".
For those who didn't read my correction/clarification (the very first post on page 4), I will rewrite it tonight. Right now it is 6:45am and I have to get ready for work, and I am too tired for too much typing. Sorry if it hurts you to wait a while.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 3:49 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
Could you please write/rewrite the test as intended, and then explain what the point you were trying to make was?
(...)
So pretty please (with sugar on top) explain yourself.
I cleared up the error in the top of page 4; reading that post will really help.
(...)
For those who didn't read my correction/clarification (the very first post on page 4), I will rewrite it tonight. Right now it is 6:45am and I have to get ready for work, and I am too tired for too much typing. Sorry if it hurts you to wait a while.

That vague clarification (If I get almost all the answers correct on a test, it means I got some wrong. However, without further information, you can't conclude that I got any specific answer right or wrong) did nothing for me, sorry. Looking forward to seeing your rewrite.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:03 pm

Edit: wrong post, sorry; I thought I explained everything in the one post. I've quoted the one I meant below. You've clearly read it, since you've spent so much time complaining about how I was mean to Tereida, while somehow missing the MAJOR clarification in the first sentence.

Last edited by Who_Am_I on 13 Jul 2012, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:06 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
Hrrm. I just assumed the third premise was a typo, and was meant to be a conclusion. As evidenced by "therefore" and the pattern in the previous two statements.

Yes, it was a typo.
I know 10-year-old children who could pass that test without so much quibbling; it's kind of depressing that such basic reasoning skills need to actually be taught in year 12.

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2012, 4:23 pm

Quote:
And therefore, it is grounded in emotion/psychology, not reason or fact.

It may and may not be. You need to get deeper in topic with them, after that you can find the truth. But if you just think you are right and they are emotional, you are very likely to make a mistake. Once again: Zenon made similar mistake, because he didn't had knowledge we have today. And simple human logic betrayed him/ us when we try to resolve his paradox.

Also Anselm relies on this very deficiency of our mind in his antological argument about God existence. I have to agree with Anselm, although I am atheist :D

So this test can help slightly to come to truth about people Who_Am_I had in mind when she was writting it. But if she base anything on it, she gets wrong results. But I think this is too much and nobody would understand what am I saying anyway :D

Quote:
person who made the post you referred to is not and has never had any luck at all

Luck? What does it matter if he had luck? How does it impeaches his arguments?

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:25 pm

Not all Nigerian princesses who contact people by email to solicit money are fake scammers

therefore, it is a good idea to give those who contact me $10,000.

Not all carjackers kill people

therefore, it is a bad idea to assume that all carjackers kill people and it is a good idea to resist them.

Not all lottery tickets lose,

therefore it is a good idea to invest all of my money into lottery tickets.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:27 pm

aSKperger wrote:
Luck? What does it matter if he had luck? How does it impeaches his arguments?

By the logic of the analogy you used about riding a bike with no wheels, over and over again.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:28 pm

aSKperger wrote:
Quote:
people keep doing all or nothing thinking about men/women

Could you make a list of this people here at WP please, thanks.

no, please do not start calling out members. you can observe it for yourself on the forums. if you don't see it, lucky you.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:29 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
Hrrm. I just assumed the third premise was a typo, and was meant to be a conclusion. As evidenced by "therefore" and the pattern in the previous two statements.

Yes, it was a typo.

Ahh, so what I asked on page 1 was what you intended to write, thanks.

It seemed to me you didn't agree with me, but I see now you do. But still, I do wonder what the point of the test is. :D

Quotes from my posts on page 1 below:
Blownmind wrote:
shouldn't it be like this?
Quote:
Premise A: Most x are y.
Premise B: C is an x.
Conclusion: Therefore, C is a y.

Is this

A. True.
B. False.
C. Not enough information to tell.

Sorry for picking on your test :D I just used logic, perhaps I failed then.

AND

Blownmind wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Premise A: Most x are y.
Premise B: C is an x.
Premise C: Therefore, C is a y.

If the word "Therefore" hadn't been there, it could have been "Not enough information to tell", but as it stands now, it is "False", and "Premise C" is actually a conclusion(which makes it false).

Perhaps you really meant for the word "Therefore" to never have been there in the first place?

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:30 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Not all Nigerian princesses who contact people by email to solicit money are fake scammers

therefore, it is a good idea to give those who contact me $10,000.

Not rational, because most are.

Quote:
Not all carjackers kill people

therefore, it is a bad idea to assume that all carjackers kill people and it is a good idea to resist them.

Not rational, because some do.

Quote:
Not all lottery tickets lose,

therefore it is a good idea to invest all of my money into lottery tickets.

Not rational, because most lose.

The problem here is the 0% or 100% mindset. If not all, then none - but this makes no sense. Neither does assuming "all" in its place.

Last edited by edgewaters on 13 Jul 2012, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:32 pm

i think the test was largely facetious, Blownmind. your results will not get you a special L&D forum award, nor will the results bar you from posting.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:39 pm

Blownmind: yeah, that is what I meant. :) Sorry I couldn't directly answer all your suggestions before; I don't know how to quote multiple posts into one post using my phone.
My next post will rewrite the test to hopefully make it more clear to people.
As to the point, do you read this forum regularly? If you do, you may have noticed that there are many posts saying things like "women don't like me because women are x, or prefer x trait". Then when a woman comes along and points out that she is a counterexample to the trend, someone else will come along and insinuate that she's a liar and doesn't know her own mind, because "studies have shown that women tend to say this and do that instead", while ignoring the fact that just because a study says that many of a particular group does something, it doesn't mean that members of that group do, and to imply that someone is lying when they provide themselves as a counterexample is evidence of unscientific thinking.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:40 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i think the test was largely facetious, Blownmind. your results will not get you a special L&D forum award, nor will the results bar you from posting.

Hehe, I rather meant why he feels it belongs here, his initial post insinuated he would be back with a more specific reason, atleast thats how I read it. But apparently I suck at reading between the lines.. :D
"Yes, this is relevant to this section." said to me that he would be back with an explanation. :) ..because if he wouldn't, what would stop you from locking or moving the thread, riight? :)

Bah, too tired now, I probably missed something in one of the many posts, will be back tomorrow with a vaguely clearer mind. ;)

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2012, 4:47 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye - do you think this is appropriate? I think you exaggerate too much.

edgewaters - don't get it. What do you mean by his luck?

hyperlexian - well, yes :) But I am an aspie. I really hardly ever find out they speak about me. So I may be the one on the list too... And if so, I need to deal with it, I need to improve myself and my appearance in their eyes. And other users would like to do it too, I suppose.

Who_Am_I I am waiting :wink: