Aspies and non-aspies, how do you tell what 'love' is?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Jeanna
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Nov 2012, 9:47 am

I know this is going to sound like a weird question, but I don't know what love is. The entire concept just makes no sense at all. You can't really quantify or define 'love'. And from what I've heard lots of people say, the media's version of love isn't what it's really like. So what is it actually?
There's a guy whom I used to hang out with a year ago, and he was really wonderful and I liked being around him more than anyone ever. He wanted to date me after a while, but I freaked out because dating is completely unchartered waters and being too close to people scares me (and, again, I didn't know if I loved him), so told him no and we drifted. We still talk very rarely, but now I don't know if I actually did love him. Because I felt safe with him, and comfortable, and I really enjoyed being around him and I did like him more than I'd ever liked a person before. And sometimes I just suddenly remember that we aren't close anymore, it kind of makes my insides hurt a bit and I feel sad because I do still miss him a lot. Now I don't know if that is love, but I can't tell and it keeps making me really confused and upset because I can't look it up, and I'm completely clueless, so I've decided to post this here in hopes that someone can help makes things easier to understand.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 11:42 am

'Love' is just a word. It could mean different things to different people. Your feelings are real. From the way you described your feelings for your friend, I think you can call that love.

helles
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 1:13 pm

Marybird wrote:
'Love' is just a word. It could mean different things to different people. Your feelings are real. From the way you described your feelings for your friend, I think you can call that love.

agree

There is this thread about falling in love, or not being able to fall in love http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt168069.html
Seems that there are quite a few aspies that do not fall in love/crush. If you do not have that ability I guess it can be a bit difficult to deside if you love people (I do not fall in love with people, but I do love people).