The Dating Game: What I've learned from WP Love&Dating

Page 6 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 8:49 am

MCalavera wrote:
It doesn't follow that someone obsessed with an activity that's not intellectual cannot be an intellectual.

Probably not but I'm just going on my own experience

I've never met a fitness fanatic type that I've had anything in common with

They invariably seem self-obsessed vain bores to me

Venger seems to buck the trend but then he readily admits to not being fanatical about it

People with a bit of weight on them are usually more fully-rounded (excuse pun lol) human beings personality-wise

They are more forgiving of flaws and more interested in talking about ideas, books, films - things not focused on the self

After you've said 'Gosh look at your impressive six-pack!' - what else is there to say?? You want to move on to talk about other
more interesting stuff but the fitness people stay stuck in endless discussions about fitness/muscles - it's tedious and to me shows a distinct lack of intellect

Last edited by nessa238 on 10 Feb 2013, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 8:53 am

It does tend to be the case, I agree.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 8:59 am

After working at a gym, I can say that there are people who are fitness buffs that are also smart. As in they take care of their bodies but also go to/went to school and have/had intellectual pursuits.

But I can see it being harder to find someone who has similar interests as you in a gym, unless you're just as interested in fitness itself.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 9:06 am

nessa238 wrote:
After you've said 'Gosh look at your impressive six-pack!' - what else is there to say?? You want to move on to talk about other
more interesting stuff but the fitness people stay stuck in endless discussions about fitness/muscles - it's tedious and to me shows a distinct lack of intellect

Just noticed the edit. I won't deny your observations here. My cousin is exactly like that. Every time we meet, he has to talk to me about his muscles. And his body aches.

That said, I know enough body builders to know you're not entirely spot on. Some of them can be quite deep in philosophy and I've had some interesting intellectual conversations with a few of them.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 9:09 am

deltafunction wrote:
After working at a gym, I can say that there are people who are fitness buffs that are also smart. As in they take care of their bodies but also go to/went to school and have/had intellectual pursuits.

But I can see it being harder to find someone who has similar interests as you in a gym, unless you're just as interested in fitness itself.

Yes, it's a particular type of self-improvement mindset

I'm all for self-improvement, it's just behavioural improvement that is my main focus

I don't have the willpower or the motivation to improve my body apart from trying to eat healthily and not drinking and smoking

I find people who are overly focused on making themselves look good are often far more judgemental of other people s' flaws
and less tolerant generally ie 'I'm in peak condition, you're a fat slob - keep away from me!' - there's more likelihood of body fascism coming from these people hence I'd tend to avoid them.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 9:17 am

MCalavera wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

Just noticed the edit. I won't deny your observations here. My cousin is exactly like that. Every time we meet, he has to talk to me about his muscles. And his body aches.

That said, I know enough body builders to know you're not entirely spot on. Some of them can be quite deep in philosophy and I've had some interesting intellectual conversations with a few of them.

Logically there would have to be a variety of types of people into it. Alan Turing was in a running club so he was evidently into fitness and he was certainly not stupid.

It's just a general observation

it's a bit like fit people are seen as alphas by society and they look down on unfit people as lesser and I personally resent that
because I dont have the willpower or inclination to get fitter and when I have been much fitter/slimmer I was not happier ie being fit in and of itself did not bring me happiness

I'm heavier now than I have been in a while yet I feel a lot happier in myself - why is this? I think it's to do with better hormone balance due to taking the progesterone-only pill, which has fostered greater feelings of self-acceptance

To an extent I think a lot of fitness obsessed people don't accept themselves and are trying to create the perfect body in a futile attempt to 'prove' they are 'good enough' when they are good enough whatever their fitness level.

I had a friend who was fit, did running competitions and went to the gym a number of times a week yet he never seemed happy with his body or himself. He seemed constantly dissatisfied with himself, saying he was too fat which was ridiculous! I thought he had some male form of anorexia.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 10:34 am

wtfid2 wrote:
Shau wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
I disagree totally that body-builder/gym types are intelligent. They are brawn over brain.

Negative. The most successful bodybuilders are the ones smart enough to understand nutrition, sleep, and the assorted technical aspects of weights, of which there are many. There are many ways to apply intelligence to bodybuilding as a whole.
to be honest the best bodybuilders have the best genetics and steroids...diet and hard work are secondary to those things.

Unless "the best" bodybuilders are Zyzz and Chestbrah, then this is false information. Take a look at Steve Reeves or Reg Park prior to steroids (both started taking them in 1958). They had slightly higher boy fat percentages than moderns builders, but the latter could bench press 500 lbs before he started juicing.

Another good example is Georg Hackenscmidt. This picture is from the early 1900's, roughly 50 years before the Russian powerlifters started juicing.

Genetics may help you, but take a look at some of the newbies you see every january at your gym. None of them are naturally big and shredded. Take a look at Dorian Yates or Markus Rühl before they started working out.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 11:01 am

Kurgan wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:
Shau wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
I disagree totally that body-builder/gym types are intelligent. They are brawn over brain.

Negative. The most successful bodybuilders are the ones smart enough to understand nutrition, sleep, and the assorted technical aspects of weights, of which there are many. There are many ways to apply intelligence to bodybuilding as a whole.
to be honest the best bodybuilders have the best genetics and steroids...diet and hard work are secondary to those things.

Unless "the best" bodybuilders are Zyzz and Chestbrah, then this is false information. Take a look at Steve Reeves or Reg Park prior to steroids (both started taking them in 1958). They had slightly higher boy fat percentages than moderns builders, but the latter could bench press 500 lbs before he started juicing.

Another good example is Georg Hackenscmidt. This picture is from the early 1900's, roughly 50 years before the Russian powerlifters started juicing.

Genetics may help you, but take a look at some of the newbies you see every january at your gym. None of them are naturally big and shredded. Take a look at Dorian Yates or Markus Rühl before they started working out.
not really sure what you're getting at. I said genes and steroids are the number one factors, and you give me an example of a guy who benched 500 without steroids? That proves my point, his genes were epic. Comparing modern bbers to old school bbers is ridiculous bc drugs have changed. I havent heard of any of the guys in the top part of your post. i already knew who markus ruhl is but i forgot how small he was at 19, im shocked...that was prob without lifting though...still have to have amazing genes and response to steroids to get there...he was the most muscular body builder ever.

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 11:24 am

nessa238 wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
It doesn't follow that someone obsessed with an activity that's not intellectual cannot be an intellectual.

Venger seems to buck the trend but then he readily admits to not being fanatical about it

People with a bit of weight on them are usually more fully-rounded (excuse pun lol) human beings personality-wise

They are more forgiving of flaws and more interested in talking about ideas, books, films - things not focused on the self

There is a subsection of fitness enthusiasts who are quite nerdy. These are the ones who learn the Krebs cycle so that they can better understand how to best power their mitochondria for greatest health.If you want to talk about literature they may not be much fun to talk to. But the nerdiest of them will know an enormous amount about biology. They are often attracted to the Paleo movement, which is where I encountered them.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 11:53 am

Janissy wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

There is a subsection of fitness enthusiasts who are quite nerdy. These are the ones who learn the Krebs cycle so that they can better understand how to best power their mitochondria for greatest health.If you want to talk about literature they may not be much fun to talk to. But the nerdiest of them will know an enormous amount about biology. They are often attracted to the Paleo movement, which is where I encountered them.

I take your point

I suppose it's like a typical aspie 'special interest' that just happens to cross over into NT territory so is considered mainstream,
like football

But a person into fitness to this extent invariably wants a person who is also fit/into fitness as a partner so we have nothing in common

I've been with a fit person (fit through playing tennis not weight training etc) and they were always on about their prowess, timed themselves during sex ffs! Lol and it was tedious, like some kind of continual contest! They also lost too much weight and I could feel their bones digging into me so it was not a pleasurable experience.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 12:42 pm

Kurgan wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:
Shau wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

I doubt zyzz is much good anymore. You know after he died of heart issues due to excessive roux usage

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 12:44 pm

I am going to the gym for about a year, I didn't take a single supplement, let alone steroids.

Yet I got a fairly good shape.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 12:47 pm

and how, there's a huge difference between becoming in good shape (well in enough to make the opposite sex's heads turn) and becoming a fitness champ, my aim was never the latter.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 12:48 pm

MXH wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:
Shau wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

I doubt zyzz is much good anymore. You know after he died of heart issues due to excessive roux usage

I'm well aware of that. Take a look at his legs (or how he deadlifted: with a rounded lower-back and a big bounce) and you'll see that steroids alone won't make you a beefcake, though.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 1:07 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
and how, there's a huge difference between becoming in good shape (well in enough to make the opposite sex's heads turn) and becoming a fitness champ, my aim was never the latter.

And this is what separates fitness for me, its between the ones who do it to stay fit and healthy, and then the ones that do it for the sake of being larger than the rest. I see it the same as buying a hummer truck or something else like that.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 1:11 pm

MXH wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

And this is what separates fitness for me, its between the ones who do it to stay fit and healthy, and then the ones that do it for the sake of being larger than the rest. I see it the same as buying a hummer truck or something else like that.

;)