Page 17 of 20 [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 11:17 am

Kurgan wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:
I'm not saying people should set high unrealistic expectations or goals when they have limitations and disabilities but remember, small steps lead to big distances, small steps come before big ones and crawling comes before walking and running.

Before his film career, Arnold Schwarzenegger got into property and started out by renting out 5 rooms, after he expanded to rent out 16 rooms and after that expanded to 30 rooms. This was in the early days of his career when he ran a mail order and construction business. You have to start small and multiply it.

Actually, Arnie was a millionaire by the age of 20 :) He was a natural talent for business. Because bodybuilding is an art, you never see stupid mr. Olympia winners. Those idiots from high shool who pushed drugs, were loudmouths and eventually dropped out, never got past the "just bicep curls and bench press with a big bounce" stage.

you can be both stupid and a Mr. Olympia winner. they are not mutually exclusive as people who are driven and/or ambitious and/or narcissistic are not necessarily intelligent.

Brain and brawn aren´t mutually exclusive either. Most stupid people I know who´ve worked out (you´re average IQ 85 loudmouth who dropped out, started smoking at 12 and is happily oblivious to his own stupidity) have no dicipline whatsoever and seem to think that just bench pressing and bicep curling with a crappy technique is a good way to exercise. Of course, they don´t eat enough protein, they eat too much junk food, they continue to get wasted every week--with the result being that they give up in a matter of three months.

Bodybuilding is more than lifting weights. You need knowledge on how to create a workout routine specifically for your body type, a strict diet with knowledge about what´s good for you and above all dicipline. None of the above are found in your typical loudmouthed dropout who works as an asskisser at the warehouse, your typical wannabe gangster cruising in his 17 year old Ford Probe or your typical inbred hick who eats roadkill in his trailer.

Ronnie Coleman has an IQ of almost two standard deviations above the norm and a degree in economics. Nasser el-Sonbaty has a master´s degree in history and speaks seven languages. I´ve bought proteins from the former strongest man in Norway (Arild Haugen) before; off the television screen, he actully seemed both friendly and intelligent. Lastly, Frank Zane holds a master´s degree in chemistry and a bachelor´s degree in psychology.

you CAN be an intelligent or educated bodybuilder, but it is not necessary to be one. there is no known or demonstrated correlation between bodybuilding success and education or intelligence. simple research into such programs can be done by *anyone* with a basic education. they may not choose to take such a narcissistic path, but they could.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 11:18 am

SINsister wrote:
b9, I'd thumbs-up your whole post, if I could.

Mods, can we have a "notworthy" smiley? Pretty-please? :D

we don't choose or make the smileys. only alex has access.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 11:20 am

hyperlexian wrote:
i should that some people find others physically attractive only if their personalities are attractive first, so in that sense physical attractivenes is less shallow.

I've never understood this notion, though it does make sense to me on some level. There's no way I can get to the personality if the appearance is (for me) off-putting or uninteresting.

What would be the "draw" in the first place? What about the individual would've compelled me to want to get to know him/her, if there was no immediate, "superficial" attraction or visual interest, of some sort? *That* doesn't make any sense to me.

I guess I kind of view most humans along the lines of insects - ants, or something - that are generally a nuisance, in my way, pests. There has to be something about a particular person that catches my eye, or I won't even acknowledge a person's existence (well, it's not quite that extreme, but I feel no need or desire to interact more than superficially with most people - why should I bother?). Humans are mostly interchangeable, in my eyes. :?

~Steve Jobs

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 11:37 am

hyperlexian wrote:
you CAN be an intelligent or educated bodybuilder, but it is not necessary to be one. there is no known or demonstrated correlation between bodybuilding success and education or intelligence. simple research into such programs can be done by *anyone* with a basic education. they may not choose to take such a narcissistic path, but they could.

I don't get what you mean about the narcissistic part. Sure, many celebrities are narcissistic. But how can you generalise that to bodybuilders or people who learn exercise science?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 11:46 am

SINsister wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i should that some people find others physically attractive only if their personalities are attractive first, so in that sense physical attractivenes is less shallow.

I've never understood this notion, though it does make sense to me on some level. There's no way I can get to the personality if the appearance is (for me) off-putting or uninteresting.

What would be the "draw" in the first place? What about the individual would've compelled me to want to get to know him/her, if there was no immediate, "superficial" attraction or visual interest, of some sort? *That* doesn't make any sense to me.

I guess I kind of view most humans along the lines of insects - ants, or something - that are generally a nuisance, in my way, pests. There has to be something about a particular person that catches my eye, or I won't even acknowledge a person's existence (well, it's not quite that extreme, but I feel no need or desire to interact more than superficially with most people - why should I bother?). Humans are mostly interchangeable, in my eyes. :?

they talk to them, get to know them as fellow humans and something grows over time. people have fallen in love without even seeing each other's pictures on the forum before, so i've observed the phenomenon in action. i don't think it is as common as people feeling physical attraction from visual stimuli, but it does happen.

i think the most common of all is somewhere in the middle, where there is a bit of a fluid mixture of people who become more or less attractive as we become acquainted with them. people who have unattractive personalities seem less physically attractive to us, or if they are awesome people they ma become more attractive to us. some studies have shown how that happens. but individual mileage varies.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 11:52 am

deltafunction wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

I don't get what you mean about the narcissistic part. Sure, many celebrities are narcissistic. But how can you generalise that to bodybuilders or people who learn exercise science?

if a person is intentionally sculpting their body to appear a certain way, i don't know how it can be anything besides narcissistic as it is focused on the self. i think diet and exercise for health are not narcissistic (neither is sports science), but trying to create a certain body type for aesthetic reasons seems like it fits the definition:

Quote:
narcissism  
inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love; vanity. Synonyms: self-centeredness, smugness, egocentrism.
Psychoanalysis . erotic gratification derived from admiration of one's own physical or mental attributes, being a normal condition at the infantile level of personality development.

i dunno, maybe "vain" is a better word.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:04 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
if a person is intentionally sculpting their body to appear a certain way, i don't know how it can be anything besides narcissistic as it is focused on the self. i think diet and exercise for health are not narcissistic (neither is sports science), but trying to create a certain body type for aesthetic reasons seems like it fits the definition

No different to an artist painting a beautiful picture or a sculptor who spends hours, they are all doing it to accomplish a certain looks. Would you go so far to say that decorating is vain? that architecture is a vain pursuit? that art is a vain pursuit? after all they are also about aesthetics to an extent.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:11 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:
I think what we've learned from this thread is that it's not superficial to want a partner to the same standards you set yourself towards. If you live a healthy lifestyle and spend hours in the gym, you don't drink alcohol, smoke, sunbath or do anything that will cause ageing, you should want a partner that has a similar lifestyle, there's nothing wrong with choosing to go out with someone because they share a similar routine and diet.

I spend a lot of devotion towards training and diet..I want a partner who looks good at 30 or 40 or 50 even, I don't want to like marry them and make a big investment in a house or whatever it is and they let themselves go. Mental attraction is an important factor like creativity, intelligence, shared interests, similar ambitions and goals.

Physical attraction is important, people who say it isn't are fooling themselves in some attempt to prove they are deep.

no, that isn't what you should have learned from this thread. what you should have learned from this thread was that you are basing attraction on more than just lifestyle standards, but also on aesthetic preferences. that's absolutely fine as it is your own personal choice, but you can't pretend it is anything but superficial. it is less "deep" than any other factors simply by definition. yes, superficial attraction based on looks is only is probably only _one_ of many factors, but don't pretend it isn't one of the factors involved.

i should that some people find others physically attractive only if their personalities are attractive first, so in that sense physical attractivenes is less shallow. and some people find non-traditionally goodlooking people attractive, as they find beauty where others do not. and to some other people, appearance simply isn't that important. it's all over the map.

Are you saying you would go out with someone you found no physical attraction towards whatsoever ?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:15 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
if a person is intentionally sculpting their body to appear a certain way, i don't know how it can be anything besides narcissistic as it is focused on the self. i think diet and exercise for health are not narcissistic (neither is sports science), but trying to create a certain body type for aesthetic reasons seems like it fits the definition

No different to an artist painting a beautiful picture or a sculptor who spends hours, they are all doing it to accomplish a certain looks. Would you go so far to say that decorating is vain? that architecture is a vain pursuit? that art is a vain pursuit? after all they are also about aesthetics to an extent.

a house can't decorate itself, so it's not really the same thing. but if it did, yes it would be just as vain.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:17 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:
I think what we've learned from this thread is that it's not superficial to want a partner to the same standards you set yourself towards. If you live a healthy lifestyle and spend hours in the gym, you don't drink alcohol, smoke, sunbath or do anything that will cause ageing, you should want a partner that has a similar lifestyle, there's nothing wrong with choosing to go out with someone because they share a similar routine and diet.

I spend a lot of devotion towards training and diet..I want a partner who looks good at 30 or 40 or 50 even, I don't want to like marry them and make a big investment in a house or whatever it is and they let themselves go. Mental attraction is an important factor like creativity, intelligence, shared interests, similar ambitions and goals.

Physical attraction is important, people who say it isn't are fooling themselves in some attempt to prove they are deep.

no, that isn't what you should have learned from this thread. what you should have learned from this thread was that you are basing attraction on more than just lifestyle standards, but also on aesthetic preferences. that's absolutely fine as it is your own personal choice, but you can't pretend it is anything but superficial. it is less "deep" than any other factors simply by definition. yes, superficial attraction based on looks is only is probably only _one_ of many factors, but don't pretend it isn't one of the factors involved.

i should that some people find others physically attractive only if their personalities are attractive first, so in that sense physical attractivenes is less shallow. and some people find non-traditionally goodlooking people attractive, as they find beauty where others do not. and to some other people, appearance simply isn't that important. it's all over the map.

Are you saying you would go out with someone you found no physical attraction towards whatsoever ?

you have it backwards. i am saying that sometimes attraction is based on aspects other than physical appearance. yes i would go out with someone i was attracted to for those reasons. i would be physically attracted to them, but it would not be based on how they look. i like how they loo because of who they are.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:27 pm

Venger wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

Ronnie Coleman has an IQ of almost two standard deviations above the norm and a degree in economics. Nasser el-Sonbaty has a master´s degree in history and speaks seven languages. I´ve bought proteins from the former strongest man in Norway (Arild Haugen) before; off the television screen, he actully seemed both friendly and intelligent. Lastly, Frank Zane holds a master´s degree in chemistry and a bachelor´s degree in psychology.

Yeah but do any of them talk in a dumb sounding Austrian accent like Arnold? :doh: :lmao:

He´s been told by his manager not to lose his accent, since it´s a trade mark (the same goes for Van Damme). It´s a common phenomenon; back when WRC was at it´s most popular (when Colin McRae was alive) and Subaru dominated, Petter Solberg (at one time the world champion) was told to speak bad English on purpose, since his accent had become his icon.

aspiesandra27
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:30 pm

I just think that even physically, we are all attracted to different people, and it is a shallow view, that of which thinks otherwise.

It wreaks of "attractiveness is the be all, end all of relationships", failing to point out that attractiveness is subjective anyway.

I personally find men with lots of muscles, "a la Schwarznegger", *really* disgusting and off putting, no matter how intelligent he is or isn't.

Of course we can all be drawn to someone else, for the way they look, but to have the arrogance to think that looks are stereotyped to what a large percentage likes, makes me want to scream.

I would also like to point out that I have sunbathed a lot during my time, and because I did so, protecting my skin, I do not have many wrinkles and am always told I look younger than I am. I also don't need to "pump iron" to have a toned body. There are a million different ways to keep fit.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:39 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:

you have it backwards. i am saying that sometimes attraction is based on aspects other than physical appearance. yes i would go out with someone i was attracted to for those reasons. i would be physically attracted to them, but it would not be based on how they look. i like how they loo because of who they are.

I said that looks are a determining factor not the all deciding factor, of course there are other factors like creativity and personality.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:49 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:

I said that looks are a determining factor not the all deciding factor, of course there are other factors like creativity and personality.

i was explaining how i decide who i would date, so when i said "you have it backwards" i was referring to how i become attracted to someone. i wasn't referring to you, because you don't have the same criteria for attraction as i do.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:50 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
they talk to them...

Aye, right - but, for the sake of discussion, what compels a person to select one person to talk to over another one? I don't get this at all. To me, most people look pretty damn boring, unless there's something about them that I find visually compelling (which I've stated previously).

So I don't understand how I'd select "that" guy/girl to talk to over "that other" one. Do you see what I mean? Maybe I'm just the craziest/least human Aspie here. :?

~Steve Jobs

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:50 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Venger wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

Yeah but do any of them talk in a dumb sounding Austrian accent like Arnold? :doh: :lmao:

He´s been told by his manager not to lose his accent, since it´s a trade mark (the same goes for Van Damme). It´s a common phenomenon; back when WRC was at it´s most popular (when Colin McRae was alive) and Subaru dominated, Petter Solberg (at one time the world champion) was told to speak bad English on purpose, since his accent had become his icon.

Arnold's dumb sounding accent has an obvious humor aspect to it which is exploited in a lot of his movies including the "Terminator" series.