Men, Math and Marriage--arguments against marriage

Page 2 of 12 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 6:15 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
IMO, this man has been badly burned and that is the sole reason for his speech. He lacks positive marriage experience, and therefore is seeking to open a school for misogynists

I know nothing about this man, but he seems more of a gynophobe than a full-blown misogynist.

Certainly, chasing after the wenches often leads to trouble. On the other hand,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DJQu9RQYWs[/youtube]

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 6:18 pm

And, on the other hand once again.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHAqdZ2f5cM[/youtube]

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 May 2013, 11:11 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
IMO, this man has been badly burned and that is the sole reason for his speech. He lacks positive marriage experience, and therefore is seeking to open a school for misogynists by proliferating these types of ideas. You never hear much about happily married people, but the media plays up and publicizes the bad ones. You don't see worldwide media coverage of quietly happy married couples just living their lives, but let some celebrity marriage fail, and it makes headlines. I take this presentation with a grain of salt, because it is extremely biased against women as well. Sure, a lot of what he says is true, but the scenarios that he sets forth here are not the only possible outcomes for marriage. People can be happy in marriage too, can stay married for fifty years and raise healthy children. You just don't hear about it as much. The people whose marriages have failed are the loudest protesters and the most bitter arbiters against marriage. That shouldn't be a reason for anyone to decide against marriage. The person considering marriage should gather equal evidence about successful marriages, in order to offset all the negativity out there.

When some man talks about men's rights, he has past issues and inviting misogynists.

And when a feminist talks about women's rights, she's defending women's rights.

Nice logic, hartzofspace.

Thank you.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

04 May 2013, 11:43 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
IMO, this man has been badly burned and that is the sole reason for his speech. He lacks positive marriage experience, and therefore is seeking to open a school for misogynists by proliferating these types of ideas. You never hear much about happily married people, but the media plays up and publicizes the bad ones. You don't see worldwide media coverage of quietly happy married couples just living their lives, but let some celebrity marriage fail, and it makes headlines. I take this presentation with a grain of salt, because it is extremely biased against women as well. Sure, a lot of what he says is true, but the scenarios that he sets forth here are not the only possible outcomes for marriage. People can be happy in marriage too, can stay married for fifty years and raise healthy children. You just don't hear about it as much. The people whose marriages have failed are the loudest protesters and the most bitter arbiters against marriage. That shouldn't be a reason for anyone to decide against marriage. The person considering marriage should gather equal evidence about successful marriages, in order to offset all the negativity out there.

When some man talks about men's rights, he has past issues and inviting misogynists.

I don't quite agree with either of you.

Unfortunately, men's rights has a bad reputation for doing the exact opposite of what it should be doing. Instead of advocating abolition of the institution of marriage and getting rid of the requirement that the man has to do all the hard stuff in relationships while the woman can just sit back and be "desired," many of them instead advocate importing filipina women who are "submissive" and returning to the stone age.

As for the video, I tend to agree with the substance, even if not the style. As one who has studied some economics, I believe that it's important to be able to separate a flawed institution which gives people incentives to do bad things from simply labeling a group of people as bad people.

I don't think it's accurate to attack women as a group. However, the institution of marriage is still flawed because it creates an imbalance of power and perverse incentives for women, all of which unfairly hurts men. Thus, I believe that traditional marriage ought to be abolished. Marriage as it exists definitely also has lots of stone age trappings that hurt women as well, like the fact that "spousal rape" is still allowed in many states and many countries.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 6:06 am

hartzofspace wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

Thank you.

You're welcome.

I was being sarcastic btw.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 8:59 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Unfortunately, men's rights has a bad reputation for doing the exact opposite of what it should be doing. Instead of advocating abolition of the institution of marriage and getting rid of the requirement that the man has to do all the hard stuff in relationships while the woman can just sit back and be "desired," many of them instead advocate importing filipina women who are "submissive" and returning to the stone age.

Stone age? The Tasaday thing was a hoax.

There was Henry Makow, who, when he was about 50, went to the Philippines to marry a teenager, and wrote a book about it.

The book is mostly a long, soul-baring, anti-feminist tirade. And, she divorced him shortly after moving to Canada. Mr. Makow strikes me as being more than a little bit nuts. If I were a woman, or even a hot teenaged Filipina, I'm sure that I wouldn't want to marry him, either.

I haven't yet come across Paul Elam advocating that we import women from the Philippines. Once they've acquired their citizenship, then the potential dangers would be the same, at least (I think) in his view.

For your entertainment, some more Paul Elam

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfsoJLe9PFg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ueQnPCqhoo[/youtube]

I don't know, but I have the impression that Mr. Elam thinks that we should stay away from women all together.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 9:10 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
Well, I don't know about family court giving women all the rights.

I don't either.

I know of too many cases in which the wealthy husband got the kids, the house, the money, everything, and the ex wife was living out of her car, spending the day in the local library for warmth.

Those are extreme examples but logic dictates when the husband works for decades and the wife is at home rather than building a resume, the wife suffers more in a divorce. Also, men can remarry and have more children but women stop being able to have children at a certain age. Men typically age better as far as looks (other than losing their hair, but not all men do.) Society is more forgiving of May-December romances if the older one is male. Starting over is not easy for women after a divorce.

I don't agree that women cheat more often, either, and I think studies could be found to prove either contention on that.

Women still make less money than men do for the same work. Men still overwhelmingly run things, from business to politics, worldwide. Women typically finish raising the children in a divorce while the ex husband moves on to a younger wife and starts over fresh.

And no I haven't been divorced. But I completely disagree that men suffer more in marriage. In fact studies show men live longer if married and women's lives are cut shorter than if they had stayed single.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 11:37 am

Oy... I'm not going to bother de-bunking the usual feminism rhetoric... it's been disproven a million times before and instead of listening, the zealots will just keep screaming, "Misogyny! Fight the patriarchy!! We deserve more! !!" :roll:

The facts and stats are there.

Wouldn't it be nice if people (of either gender) weren't greedy, selfish dirtbags?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 11:57 am

Popsicle wrote:
men can remarry and have more children but women stop being able to have children at a certain age.

Thanks to Pfizer, elderly divorced gents have this option

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWT19QPZ6KE[/youtube]

Or, the rich alpha dogs have this option

Or, if they aren't too picky, then they can move to Florida and enjoy an all-you-can-eat buffet of widows.

Popsicle wrote:
Men typically age better as far as looks

8)

Popsicle wrote:
Women still make less money than men do for the same work. Men still overwhelmingly run things, from business to politics, worldwide. Women typically finish raising the children in a divorce while the ex husband moves on to a younger wife and starts over fresh.

Robert Herrick wrote:

GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day
To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
The higher he 's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he 's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
And while ye may, go marry:
For having lost but once your prime,
You may for ever tarry.

But, yes, the younger broads tend to have almost all of the attention from gents of all ages.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 May 2013, 12:26 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

Thank you.

You're welcome.

I was being sarcastic btw.

I knew you were going to say that! :lol:

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 1:54 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
1. Studies show that women are more likely to cheat than men.

Everything I've read on the subject indicates that more men cheat than women.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

05 May 2013, 1:55 pm

Popsicle wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:
Well, I don't know about family court giving women all the rights.

I don't either.

I know of too many cases in which the wealthy husband got the kids, the house, the money, everything, and the ex wife was living out of her car, spending the day in the local library for warmth.

Those are extreme examples but logic dictates when the husband works for decades and the wife is at home rather than building a resume, the wife suffers more in a divorce. Also, men can remarry and have more children but women stop being able to have children at a certain age. Men typically age better as far as looks (other than losing their hair, but not all men do.) Society is more forgiving of May-December romances if the older one is male. Starting over is not easy for women after a divorce.

I don't agree that women cheat more often, either, and I think studies could be found to prove either contention on that.

And no I haven't been divorced. But I completely disagree that men suffer more in marriage. In fact studies show men live longer if married and women's lives are cut shorter than if they had stayed single.

Those are unusual examples. When I worked in the Attorney General's Office, in exactly 93% of child support cases, the woman got the kids, and the father had to pay child support. Also, alimony and multiple other rights. A lot of men simply had to quit school and get a menial job just to pay child support, and when their lack of education prevented them from getting a job, they were hauled off to jail. Then, after having a criminal record they still couldn't get a job to pay child support, they were hauled off to jail for even longer while the arrears piled up.

As far as the earning gap, it's true, and it's quite shameful that all the highest paying jobs go to men. However, the earnings curve does not have an even gap between men and women at all earning levels. Men are disproportionately concentrated at both the top AND the bottom of the earning scale, with women primarily in the middle. That means, at middle class and below, women probably have more earning power than men do, yet society and family law still act on the assumption that all women are just stay-at-home moms, men are always the breadwinners, and any man without higher education can simply go out into the private economy and get a decent-paying job. All of these assumptions are incorrect when applied to the middle class and below.

In some demographic communities in the U.S., nearly 1/3 of males 20 or above have a criminal record, which makes them virtually unemployable regardless. And family law, stuck as it is in the 19th century, refuses to recognize the reality of many people's lives, and it operates in a way that primarily screws over men.

Of course, wealthy men can afford to pay fancy divorce lawyers, and they might thus have an advantage over a wife of limited means. But the bulk of family law cases do not involve such a situation in my experience at my previous job seeing thousands of divorce cases.

I'm not saying that family law and traditional society only hurts men. It hurts women too. One of the ways that traditional society hurts women in both the U.S., Nigeria, Mexico, and many other uncivilized countries is in the "rape culture" behind a lot of unplanned births, and then the crazy troglodyte conservatives that try to shut off access to women's reproductive rights. But that's all the more reason to get rid of it.

Given the way that family law is stacked against men, I am against both marriage and kids--unless I end up wealthy; then, I might reconsider.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 5:31 pm

I'm waiting for someone to hit Tyri0n with the M-word.

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2013, 3:53 pm

as a woman i found this interesting,, however,, I am one of those woman he considers at the end possible keepers BUT<<< I find men find me TOO independent,, to smart and NOT enough of a woman to date.....

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 7:36 pm

So self-absorbed. I suppose he thinks things are just fine and dandy for divorced women with custody, who have to provide most of the childcare and most of the money to support those kids on their own, who might have fled an abuser or been abandoned by a cheat. They end up barely better off than single moms, having to do the work of two people and only getting a small check once in a while from their ex if they're lucky. And as for the kids, should kids be shipped back and forth between two different homes, or sent to live with a parent who had only a minor role in raising them before the divorce? As long as women are the primary caregivers most of the time (and I'm not saying they necessarily should be, but I don't see dads lining up to stay home or work fewer hours - probably because they'd end up making as little money as women do if they did) they ought to be getting custody most of the time. They put in the hours, they built the relationship with the child, and the child's well-being comes first.

But no, we all have to feel sorry for the dad who ends up paying child support and (*gasp*) driving an old car. Boo friggin hoo.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 May 2013, 8:02 pm

Nonperson wrote:
So self-absorbed. I suppose he thinks things are just fine and dandy for divorced women with custody, who have to provide most of the childcare and most of the money to support those kids on their own, who might have fled an abuser or been abandoned by a cheat. They end up barely better off than single moms, having to do the work of two people and only getting a small check once in a while from their ex if they're lucky. And as for the kids, should kids be shipped back and forth between two different homes, or sent to live with a parent who had only a minor role in raising them before the divorce? As long as women are the primary caregivers most of the time (and I'm not saying they necessarily should be, but I don't see dads lining up to stay home or work fewer hours - probably because they'd end up making as little money as women do if they did) they ought to be getting custody most of the time. They put in the hours, they built the relationship with the child, and the child's well-being comes first.

But no, we all have to feel sorry for the dad who ends up paying child support and (*gasp*) driving an old car. Boo friggin hoo.

I have to agree with this. I fled an abusive mate and ended up raising my child alone. I had to refuse the child support payments, because back then the rule was that if he paid child support, he had visitation rights. So yeah, I agree with this post a lot.