The "Hi, how are you?" opening messages on okc.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 10:44 am

Women often complain that they get a lot of those (ie. "Hi", Hi hru", Hi I am Sam, what's your name?") on dating sites; and they demand to get well-crafted opening messages that show they read their profiles + an "interesting question" at the end, in order to even consider replying; but is it the latter the natural thing?

The truth is, no, it is not.

Because, in real life, the first step in the *natural* process of getting to know someone new is by saying a form of "Hi" / "Hello" and then the conversation progresses naturally, and not by cracking some random joke or telling about something you noticed about the person.

In real life, when a guy X sees a girl Y who is appealing to him, he would simply say "hi / hello" "- I am Sam" to her and the girl replies the same, and the conversation should take its flow, saying more as intro would sound really creepy or pua-like (ie. "Hi, I 've noticed you often wear Benetton, I like Benetton too, where do you often shop?") --> exactly like the well-crafted intro okc messages you ladies demand, composed of something he noticed about you + the question.

I bet that most "Hi /hello" guys on okc are newcomers to online dating or simply are not too savvy into the "online life" so they're simply applying what's common sense and normal in real life. Those guys probably aren't aware yet of the 1) abnormally imbalanced gender ratio 2) The abnormal process of getting to know someone new on dating sites.

They're simply thinking of dating sites as real public places but not as what they really turned into: job board sites, where:
Gender ratio as imbalanced as Employers:Candidates ratios.
Woman = Employer
Man = Employee
Intro message = Cover letter
Man's profile = CV
Woman's profile = Company profile/ Job description with a lot of requirements.
Date = job Interview

And by insisting on getting well crafted intros, you're simply reinforcing the job board culture of date sites.

The "Hi/Hello" guys might don't know about all this abnormally-constructed enviroment of the dating sites. They probably don't even need dating sites that much because they can get dates elsewhere hence why they didn't research much about the tips and how a guy is supposed to do there.

So for Yuzu and other women who are disregarding "Hi/hey" guys there simply because of their very short intro (which is the normal thing in real life), don't you think they might be leading more normal and balanced lives than guys who write well-crafted messages and who spent ages of their lives learning how to optimize online dating?

Just give what I said a thought. I personally recommend to look into their profiles before dismissing them, they might turn out way more interesting and normal than us guys who write well-crafted and "clever" cover lett....*cough* I mean intros.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 13 Nov 2013, 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 10:54 am

The thing I notice about these people online is that they often don't contribute much to the conversation. This applies to all forums and websites, not just online dating which I'm not currently involved with. I'd be pretty disinterested IRL if I was getting answers like "pasta" or "wow" to everything I asked or said.

I try to be polite and give them a chance before I let a conversation die, but some days I just don't have the energy. I have to be pleasant, analytical, and engaging with disinterested, unresponsive, or distraught people every afternoon at work. *shrug*

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 11:11 am

Back to treating dates like job interviews, are we? You know that kind of mindset all but kills any chance of romance developing, right?

Wafflemarine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Nov 2013, 11:12 am

I think it all goes back to women thinking that if a guy gives them a well thought out message it means they are more into me and willing to put in more effort I f*****g hate one sided conversations and women can't seem to get that it is a huge turn off.

Online dating to me just seems like a giant ego trip for women with minimal effort.

Wafflemarine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Nov 2013, 11:15 am

Geekonychus wrote:
Back to treating dates like job interviews, are we? You know that kind of mindset all but kills any chance of romance developing, right?

It is on a dating site. Shouldn't be but the same concept applies if you give someone so many choices they have no choice but to treat it as such.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 11:16 am

Well, it's an online dating site, not a bar. The information (the profile) you can work with is right there in front of you.
And if they disregard all of that and choose to only say "hey how are you?" then they are not very smart, rather lazy I'd say.
I mean we all put some effort to write our profiles and answer questions, I wish they also put some effort to read them and come up with a somewhat original message. It doesn't have to be long. The best message I got was just 2 sentences long but it was very clever and sweet.

I will look at their profiles if the matching percentage is high though. If not forget it.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 11:20 am

Wafflemarine wrote:
I think it all goes back to women thinking that if a guy gives them a well thought out message it means they are more into me and willing to put in more effort I f***ing hate one sided conversations and women can't seem to get that it is a huge turn off.

Online dating to me just seems like a giant ego trip for women with minimal effort.

Of 4 guys I've seen I initiated contact with 3 of them. So some women put some effort.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 11:20 am

Since okcupid adjusted my matching, got one of those notifications. It went downhill from there.
i'm thinking of creating a new profile.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 11:30 am

Geekonychus wrote:

Well, this is is the reality of dating sites Geeko, it is not me who created it, I am just describing it.

Developing romance happens after meeting the person and the date goes so well, but before that you are simply a one candidate of the many candidates in most women's eyes there.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 11:37 am

Yuzu wrote:
Well, it's an online dating site, not a bar. The information (the profile) you can work with is right there in front of you.
And if they disregard all of that and choose to only say "hey how are you?" then they are not very smart, rather lazy I'd say.
I mean we all put some effort to write our profiles and answer questions, I wish they also put some effort to read them and come up with a somewhat original message. It doesn't have to be long. The best message I got was just 2 sentences long but it was very clever and sweet.

I will look at their profiles if the matching percentage is high though. If not forget it.

Or it means they are not too absorbed into the online dating thing; they might turn out less lazy in their lives than those who rely too much on dating sites.

And by real life, I don't mean bar, this is the other extreme

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 13 Nov 2013, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 11:38 am

Geekonychus wrote:

I said something on here about dates feeling like interviews sometimes. But it seems a few have cottoned on to the idea that it's all about job-hunting.

As for the "Hi, how are you?" messages, it looks like the person hasn't even bothered to look at your profile, so the effort of creating your profile wasn't worthwhile. It also looks like they've sent that message to lots of others, making you appear just a number/unspecial.

Imagine writing out a text or letter to somebody and they ignore most/all of what you've said...and you're like, "Oh, fine. I'm not bothering with you either then."

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 11:46 am

i don't like the "hi, how are you?" opening. i find it annoying.

i like a simple "hello"

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 11:48 am

Well, that's simply an out-of-the-box advice ladies, just take it or leave it.

*Yawn* I don't feel like wanting to debate over it.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

Dude, it's really pretty easy. Read their profile, find something you have in common or something interesting that they're doing (college majors, hobbies, careers, ect.) and comment on it. If you have experience with what they're doing, mention it. Let's say she likes zombie movies, and you like zombie movies. So you could write a message that says:

"Hey, did you see that new movie that just came out? I liked it, but it wasn't as good as ______________."

Boom, you've established that you have something in common and you've started a conversation. Women get a million messages a day. If you make the effort to actually prove that you read their profile and actually are legitimately interested in what they're interested in, you'll see a lot more success.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 2:46 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
Dude, it's really pretty easy. Read their profile, find something you have in common or something interesting that they're doing (college majors, hobbies, careers, ect.) and comment on it. If you have experience with what they're doing, mention it. Let's say she likes zombie movies, and you like zombie movies. So you could write a message that says:

"Hey, did you see that new movie that just came out? I liked it, but it wasn't as good as ______________."

Boom, you've established that you have something in common and you've started a conversation. Women get a million messages a day. If you make the effort to actually prove that you read their profile and actually are legitimately interested in what they're interested in, you'll see a lot more success.

Dude, I do this, I am not one of the "Hi/Hey" guys.

I am just saying an unpopular theory ;p.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 2:57 pm

I stopped bothering a couple years ago initiating contact with people. Reading through profiles and finding a way to message people lead to way too much overthinking and too many no replies. I then realized "I enjoy life outside of this too much to care about this." I made friends, some I got romantic with, and a few would message me on POF, OkCupid and Match.com. Sadly enough, the sad puppy routine got me more attention than anything else. I would get replies like "awww, I bet I could be a positive influence on your life." One date, and then done with them.