Men who hold traditional views make more money.

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 2:44 am

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/ ... -pays.aspx

Quote:
Women with egalitarian views don't earn much more than those with traditional outlooks, researchers conclude
WASHINGTON—When it comes to sex roles in society, what you think may affect what you earn. A new study has found that men who believe in traditional roles for women earn more money than men who don't, and women with more egalitarian views don't make much more than women with a more traditional outlook.

Quote:
Their analyses showed that men in the study who said they had more traditional gender role attitudes made an average of about $8,500 more annually than those who had less traditional attitudes.

Quote:
Put another way, if a married couple holds traditional gender role attitudes, the husband's earning advantage was predicted to be eight times greater than a married couple where the husband and wife have more egalitarian attitudes.

It makes sense why the presence of those traditional men in workplace (especially those in power) damage women's earnings; what doesn't make much sense is why egalitarian men's earnings are that damaged too.

Why is that? traditional men are more likely to be aggressive/competitive? Gap in testosterone levels?

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 29 Oct 2013, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 3:15 am

Those traditional views are probably still seen as more normal (by both men and women). So, if you're a guy that doesn't share them then you'll be seen as less than normal and the office politics will mean less pay for you. It's like how if you're a guy you're better off erring on the side of being a jerk than on the side of being too considerate, because you're more likely to be forgiven for the former because it's sort of expected.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 3:42 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Those traditional views are probably still seen as more normal (by both men and women). So, if you're a guy that doesn't share them then you'll be seen as less than normal and the office politics will mean less pay for you. It's like how if you're a guy you're better off erring on the side of being a jerk than on the side of being too considerate, because you're more likely to be forgiven for the former because it's sort of expected.

This is a pretty good guess, but I'm willing to bet there's a lot more to it. It's rare when social problems like this can be broken down to one simple thing.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 3:48 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Why is that? traditional men are more likely to be aggressive/competitive? Gap in testosterone levels?

I wouldnt know whats so hard to understand about. In traditional way, the value of a man was much depending on his salary. So if you have yourself an traditional view, you have more reasons to go for better job.

While someone, not depending his worth on his money income, has no more reason to earn more, the moment he/she has sufficient for living, there is no more reason to put more effort into work/carriere. Someone depending his worth upon that, still feels benefits, while for someone not depending on worth on it, its only a waste of good quality time, that he/she can use him/herself better for acchieving stuff, that makes him/her feel better.

Nothing about testosterone levels or whatever. If you simply gain more happyness, when acchieving something, then you have as well more reasons to want to acchieve that. While someone gaining no benefit anymore, when reaching a certain point, has as well no reason to put more effort and time into it, when gaining no benefit from doing so.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 3:49 am

Well... one traditional view is to want more money to no end, so I think this holds true in general for women too.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 4:19 am

It could also be the profession choices.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 4:33 am

Being the nice guy at work doesn't get you ahead, which equates to the same as less pay.
I don't know how that correlates with traditional or conservative views, mind.

I don't know if this topic is really a dating or love thing per se.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 4:51 am

well he obviously would not be going part time to help raise the kids, would he?

:lol:

So I'm never in a rush

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 4:57 am

Solvejg wrote:
well he obviously would not be going part time to help raise the kids, would he?

:lol:
Hah! Yes, true.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 5:31 am

Does this study factor age into the equation? Older people pull more dosh. Older people also came from less progressive times, making them more likely to have traditional views on men and women.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 9:09 am

More research. Yummy.

What about more traditional male valued males doing traditional, safe careers. What about opportunity based on education based on privilege? And yes, what about age? Profession?

Think the information proves nothing. Too many holes. Suggests h usual pointless media filler. To make any comment about testosterone would be even more ridiculous.

Wafflemarine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Oct 2013, 9:43 am

Got to factor in to that America is built on old religious traditional views. They keep the money in the church/family and with anyone else who shares their views. Its like some select club and I bet they even work together to crush opposition as well.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 9:45 am

All seems like common sense to me. Less egalitarian men do place a higher priorty on a career.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 9:50 am

octobertiger wrote:
More research. Yummy.

What about more traditional male valued males doing traditional, safe careers. What about opportunity based on education based on privilege? And yes, what about age? Profession?

Think the information proves nothing. Too many holes. Suggests h usual pointless media filler. To make any comment about testosterone would be even more ridiculous.

Yeah, I believe you! because you Mr. Tiger is smarter than all researchers and scientists in the world! They are so stupid that they wouldn't even think of all those factors! but you can easily spot the holes in one shot.

Seriously, no reasearch is perfect but you claiming that you know any better and that every reasearch is false everytime is becoming too repetitive.

Please, I obviously lack your level of innate intelligence and know-how-of-all, so leave my humble brain to rely on researches and studies.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 9:57 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Men who hold traditional views make more money. Why is that? traditional men are more likely to be aggressive/competitive? Gap in testosterone levels?

Traditional men show a greater emphasis on competition than on cooperation - Traditional men are all about conquest, while traditional women are all about relationships.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 10:37 am

Geekonychus wrote:
All seems like common sense to me. Less egalitarian men do place a higher priorty on a career.

This. The traditionalist male I see focusing on career achievement, and sacrificing more from home front contributions and socially(outside of networking) to get there.