Can stalking lead to happy ending?

Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2013, 10:05 pm

octobertiger wrote:

On the other hand, there are obviously different shades of 'stalking', and to lump in looking at someone's past post, for instance, with the above is, of course, patently absurd. My take is this - anything is possible, but is it likely? Clearly by participating in online activities, one accepts a small risk and will be cautious without being paranoid - then again, perhaps I'm being naive to the way the internet is now, as to opposed to the way it used to be.

I agree with Octobertiger that "stalking" is the wrong word to use for that. People have jokingly said that I "stalked" Octobertiger just because I looked up one of his posts to find out how old he was on behalf of another user. It's all in fun, but in all seriousness, the technical term for that is "monitoring."

Online monitoring, online profiling, and online stalking are three different things. Monitoring can often be innocent. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Unless you make someone aware that you're monitoring them, or use the information you gather to stalk them with, then monitoring does no harm at all.

Reading is not illegal. People often screech: "Oh my goodness! Someone is reading my Facebook page! How can I stop them?" Er, reading your Facebook page is not a crime, neither is it "stalking." If you don't want to be monitored or profiled, you shouldn't make public posts on the world wide web.

Joking aside, I am actually fairly good at online profiling and monitoring because I did once actually have to monitor and profile somebody online for legal reasons. In the process of doing so, I became aware of just how much information people carelessly leave behind online. Most people don't know how to use sites like Spokeo, Pipl, 192, and how to do a reverse email search. When I meet somebody online, I normally do a check on them now as standard, not because I'm a stalker, but just because I'm incredibly curious by nature.

It's incredible how indignant new internet acquantances will get when you tell them: "by the way, this email account is loaded with information. By emailing me from this address, you've just given away that your name is XXXX and you live in ZZZZZ street and you used to work at XXX and the items on your Amazon wishlist are XXXXX and by the way, you are a liar; you're not single. You are married to XXX."

They will scream: "why, have you been stalking me?" "Er, no, I haven't. You are the one who has been posting details about your life all over the internet, in places that are linked to the email account from which you have emailed me. You're an idiot for not emailing me from a different account. It's your fault, not mine!"

I don't bother telling them any more. It's useless trying to explain to people that I am not a stalker; I am just an individual performing basic common sense background checks, using resources that are available to anyone online.

Last edited by LogicalMolly on 03 Nov 2013, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 10:08 pm

● Don't count on it
● My reply is no
● My sources say no
● Outlook not so good
● Very doubtful

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 10:17 pm

LogicalMolly wrote:
I don't bother telling them any more. It's useless trying to explain to people that I am not a stalker; I am just an individual performing basic common sense background checks, using resources that are available to anyone online.

rofl you're like a female Sheldon, it's absolutely charming.

Mogical Lolly.

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2013, 10:20 pm

Shau wrote:
LogicalMolly wrote:

rofl you're like a female Sheldon, it's absolutely charming.

Mogical Lolly.

:oops: Sorry. I am a bit like him, I suppose. And I go on and on and on and make very long posts that no one else cares about but me. Oops.

Thank you for understanding my avatar! :thumright: Please do a high five with me.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 10:26 pm

LogicalMolly wrote:
:oops: Sorry. I am a bit like him, I suppose. And I go on and on and on and make very long posts that no one else cares about but me. Oops.

Thank you for understanding my avatar! :thumright: Please do a high five with me.

Yes, dear. We shall engage in the mutual colliding of our palms raised above our heads so as to gesture good fellowship between each other. :D

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2013, 10:37 pm

I don't understand. Did you just look up "high five" in the dictionary or something?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 11:27 pm

Only in pre-1990s media.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLhy-tmQ7BY[/youtube]

Song today would promote stalking and get mentioned on Jezebel or something.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 1:42 am

LogicalMolly wrote:
I don't understand. Did you just look up "high five" in the dictionary or something?

Not just the dictionary, but the Sheldon dictionary!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 2:21 am

LogicalMolly wrote:
octobertiger wrote:

On the other hand, there are obviously different shades of 'stalking', and to lump in looking at someone's past post, for instance, with the above is, of course, patently absurd. My take is this - anything is possible, but is it likely? Clearly by participating in online activities, one accepts a small risk and will be cautious without being paranoid - then again, perhaps I'm being naive to the way the internet is now, as to opposed to the way it used to be.

I agree with Octobertiger that "stalking" is the wrong word to use for that. People have jokingly said that I "stalked" Octobertiger just because I looked up one of his posts to find out how old he was on behalf of another user. It's all in fun, but in all seriousness, the technical term for that is "monitoring."

Online monitoring, online profiling, and online stalking are three different things. Monitoring can often be innocent. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Unless you make someone aware that you're monitoring them, or use the information you gather to stalk them with, then monitoring does no harm at all.

Reading is not illegal. People often screech: "Oh my goodness! Someone is reading my Facebook page! How can I stop them?" Er, reading your Facebook page is not a crime, neither is it "stalking." If you don't want to be monitored or profiled, you shouldn't make public posts on the world wide web.

Joking aside, I am actually fairly good at online profiling and monitoring because I did once actually have to monitor and profile somebody online for legal reasons. In the process of doing so, I became aware of just how much information people carelessly leave behind online. Most people don't know how to use sites like Spokeo, Pipl, 192, and how to do a reverse email search. When I meet somebody online, I normally do a check on them now as standard, not because I'm a stalker, but just because I'm incredibly curious by nature.

It's incredible how indignant new internet acquantances will get when you tell them: "by the way, this email account is loaded with information. By emailing me from this address, you've just given away that your name is XXXX and you live in ZZZZZ street and you used to work at XXX and the items on your Amazon wishlist are XXXXX and by the way, you are a liar; you're not single. You are married to XXX."

They will scream: "why, have you been stalking me?" "Er, no, I haven't. You are the one who has been posting details about your life all over the internet, in places that are linked to the email account from which you have emailed me. You're an idiot for not emailing me from a different account. It's your fault, not mine!"

Looking someone up online implies you don't trust them and you were skeptical and it offends them you got suspicious about them so you had to look them up to be sure they were genuine and search can give out inaccurate information.

I just looked myself up on Spokeo and it has some inaccurate information because it doesn't always update. It says I live in Montana. I don't know what else was said because I am not paying full membership to see my full results. I take it you have a membership. It also claimed I am on websites I am not even on. I suspect people use the same username as me on those sites. But it's still fun to look yourself up to see how much is true and how much isn't. My ex used to read through my posts here and it didn't bother me and people were telling me he was stalking me and I said how is it stalking if it's posted online. It's there for everyone to read. If someone was going through my posts to use against me, that is a different story because they can be taken out of context and use to twist things and it's pretty common during a divorce when there are children involved.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 2:54 am

You normally would have to pay extra for the happy ending part.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 3:29 am

If the person being stalked is really really REALLY naive I could see a relationship coming about.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 3:40 am

blue_bean wrote:
If the person being stalked is really really REALLY naive I could see a relationship coming about.

And the stalker is Johnny Depp!

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 4:12 am

As long as the paparazzi stalks him though he'd never get away with it :P

If a celeb was stalking me I'd avoid them double time, because a psycho celebrity is even worse than a psycho nobody. The former can easily overcome the consequences and is in a position of power/influence.

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2013, 4:17 am

How I met your mother dealt with this. Its called the dobler-dahmer theory. Not sure I know who the dobler is, obviously someone who did something romantic, but dahmer was a serial killer. http://how-i-met-your-mother.wikia.com/ ... mer_Theory

"If both people are into each other, then a big romantic gesture works: Dobler, but if one person isn't into the other, the same gesture comes off serial-killer crazy: Dahmer."

Stalking can come off good if the other person's into you because they can see it as romantic.

Logical Molly, ive done a little of the looking up/monitoring of peoples previous posts myself, practically everyone that writes a post I find interesting gets me looking them up and trying to get a feel for the person over their last few pages of posts. That's both male and female though, just I don't think I'd use those other sites u mention, doesn't seem worth the bother more than anything and it doesn't connect with my desire to get a feeling for the person through things they've said.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 5:22 am

blue_bean wrote:
As long as the paparazzi stalks him though he'd never get away with it :P

If a celeb was stalking me I'd avoid them double time, because a psycho celebrity is even worse than a psycho nobody. The former can easily overcome the consequences and is in a position of power/influence.

What if he was just hopelessly in love with you and couldn't help it? Could you forgive him then?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 5:54 am

If cybersex is involved.