why men don't chase rich women

Page 4 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2013, 9:20 pm

billiscool wrote:
ok,we know,that rich men are popular with the ladies.
but why isn't the same with rich women.I never hear
guys go ''I want a rich women''so,why don't
guys chase or desire rich women,the same
way women chase or desire rich men.

I think it may be the other way around tbf. If I was chasing a rich woman she might think I was some kind of sponger, so I would expect them to be the one to find a man they want.

More controversially (everyone knows how I love controversy :p), I would expect the relationship to be about sex if it was she who sought me out, because I would not be high status enough for her to take me seriously.

cdharders
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Dec 2013, 10:43 pm

It's a matter of ego. A lot of guys want to be the bread winner and are intimidated of what would happen if the chick made more than them in the power struggle.

Woman value wealth for security. Most men are career focused while women are family focused.

And women don't want rich guys. They want guys that will make them feel comfortable and valued.

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 11:12 pm

I had a "rich girl" have a crush on me once. I was working for an insurance company and it was the franchise holder's daughter. The funny thing is that the franchise holder (my boss) was completely ok with this and even offered to give me money to take his daughter out.

I was furious. Granted, the girl was very pretty but I didn't see how I could ever be hey boyfriend and the idea of becoming basically reliant on her dad for money was not appealing at all. I actually confronted him about it. The pay model for the company was commission only, over the course of 6 months I earned a grand total of 25$ which I never ended up getting paid due to a clerical error and my apathy. But he was offering to pay for me to take his daughter out, which in my mind roughly amounted to a salary. I could already imagine the ridicule from the other workers: (this is entirely in my head fyi) "Hell, if I knew all I had to do to get a salary was f**k his daughter I would have done so long ago!"

In short, I imagined myself dating this girl and becoming a slave to her father's money, being unable to progress the relationship in the way I wanted and instead being beholding to him. I imagined becoming hated by fellow employees who were discontented and jealous. I also hated the idea of having my decisions made for me by a sponsor. I imagined becoming the archetype of the guy who owes his entire success to having married/ dated up and leaching off the clout of a "father in law" who grants him position because of his relation to the daughter rather than his merits.

surprisingly he didn't give up even after I made such arguments as he would be "paying me to f**k his daughter," "would ruin the morale of his workers," and "hard work means nothing if the rock falls back down the hill every day." (in response to his argument that I was, in fact, a hard worker.) I'm not entirely sure why I didn't just do it. I think that I had a poor view of my own value and ability to maintain the relationship. I also knew I was not NT and didn't know how that revelation would play.

Ultimately I made the analogy of mating monarch butterflies. Butterflies have culture. They chose their mates based on their ability to do a very specific Ariel dance. But different nests of butterflies have different culture and thus dances. A researcher studying the monarch noticed a male doing the dance from a different clutch attempting to attract female butterflies. The dance was beautiful with swoops and dives and graceful maneuvers... but it was still the wrong dance and despite his best efforts there was absolutely nothing the butterfly could do to attract a mate. my boss replied that was a beautiful analogy. to which I replied that it was, but in this equation I was a moth and not suited to the courtship of monarchs.

In retrospect I think I was a f*****g idiot. TBH, She might not have even wanted a second date but I didn't give her, or myself, the chance.

You are very likely an Aspie

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 3:28 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Men are attractive for their manlihood, the ability to provide for a family and serve himself. The ability to come off better in a fight. It's engrained into our genes.

I agree. It's sad, but if a male displays these traits, it's almost like a dinner bell.

Cynic wrote:
That's the 100% truth. Females seek males for money + power. End of story. Males seek females to enhance their status. End of story. Many deny it, but the truth is staring you in the face.

I don't agree 100% with this one. Females (and men) also seek out companionship, the goals do vary depending on the individual and where they are in their life. I have no problem dating a woman who has nothing, not status, no wealth. Just someone who is there for me, someone who would be willing to put up with my issues (giving me space when necessary, being there the share my life for the other times).

hurtloam wrote:
Not all people are shallow self obsessed morons. I feel sorry that you don't know any nice well rounded people with interests and aspirations other than money and showing off. They are out there. Ugh!

In my cohort, we compare notes on this, and there are many well rounded individuals, but when we're dating (or seeking mates) the topic of money, job or ability to put security (both physical and financial) comes up early enough, often times too early. We're talking relationships with people from Stanford, Berkeley and other nearby decent colleges. Honestly, I had more fun dating girls from SJSU and CSUS.

Dantac wrote:
Read up the David Buss study on female vs male (what each prioritizes in the other). Essentially the study covered cultures world wide, from extremely poor and undeveloped villages in the middle of Africa to people in large cities in 1st world countries...of all economic and social status. Regardless of culture, women always sought the male with better resources as priority, looks/personality came after. Males sought looks/beauty first, everything else after.

People are shallow self obsessed beings. No matter how you want to give yourself a moral high ground the truth is you won't be asking out the superbly charming/handsome yet also superbly homeless guy asking for money around the corner. You're far more likely to go out with the decent looking PhD guy that drives that new high end Mercedes. 'tis how things are.

Yes. There are exceptions, but for what we consider the vast majority of the world, you are correct. It gets to the point where we start to obfuscate what we do and how much we make. However, not all women are like that, I have to hope, I really do.

This is YTD from a recent pay stub Image and doesn't even involve the brokerage accounts.

I don't think this is rich, but I do know (from personal experience and talking with my friends) that it's not something we like to mention in the initial rounds of dating. If our experiences (males) translates to the ladies, then I would expect that the ladies would also be hesitant to let a guy know how much they earn or their net worth.

We want someone who is interested in us, for who we are, and to do things with us. Not that we can't nor won't spoil - but the relationship is between partners who share and should be considered equals. We want appreciation, we want someone to like us for who we are, not for how much we make.

So why do we hide it? Because we have encountered those who are interested in our financial situation, a bit too much.

We hear the stories about women who conspire to trip up men and have a relationship merely to have children, children to be used as tools and not as a natural outcome of the relationship.

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 5:30 am

http://www.evanmarckatz.com/blog/marria ... nd-men-do/

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:30 am

I'm beginning to realise that I live in a bit of a bubble. I try and be-friend people like me so I tend to spend my time with people that are not focussed on material goals. I was just having a conversation with an older couple I know and they were saying that they are having problems finding friends their own age that aren't obsessed with money and one of the reasons we get along is because of our values. I do tend to walk in the other direction when I meet people who constantly talk about their holidays and getting their kitchen re-modeled and so on.

So I am filled with empathy for men who meet a woman who seems nice and then she starts talking about money. That must be awful. Sometimes I feel a bit indignant that I am single when I am so budget conscious.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:39 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It also hits the male nature in the core: To provide.

That's an interesting point. A female friend once told me that a male friend of hers said about me: "what does she need me for, she's got everything."

Which I found to be slightly insane because I was on a really low income at the time and had a house full of shabby second hand furniture and was struggling to feed myself and pay my rent. I think he still lived at his parents house at this point, so it may just have been that I was living on my own that was the "everything" part. But still he didn't feel like I needed anything provided for me. Hello, what about hugs! But no that's not what his mind considered to be important. It's weird how people think i have it all together. I'm like a swan, seemingly floating along, but under the surface I'm paddling my feet like crazy.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:41 am

most men would rather walk through hot coals and get beaten up and bloodied daily than have to be on hand to provide hugs as needed.

Cynic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2014, 1:41 pm

buffinator wrote:
a part of dating from the guy's side is impressing the girl. If you have a less prestigious job/car/clothes/(body type)/family/general achievements you cannot fulfill your social role and continue to later stages of the relationship.

Truth spoken.

buffinator wrote:
I have only been aware of being open flirted with by a girl pursuing me 4 times. In each time I had done something physically impressive: Disarmed a guy with a knife, pulling the girl out of the path of a strobe light that was going to trigger an epileptic seizure, humiliating a guy who was teasing another classmate, getting in a fight with a guy over a political dispute and picking him up and throwing him bodily over a fence.

Quality. Except, nowadays it isn't a good idea using violence during political disputes, unless your views happen to be in sympathy with the government's. What made the political disupute lead to violence?

buffinator wrote:
After each of these incidents I was approached by girls who were clearly interested in me. I have never been approached out of the blue.

Exactly, it was your demonstration of prowess that attracted them to you. It wouldn't matter whether you were acting in self-defence, defence of another, or if you had done it just to stamp your authority and demonstrate toughness. Why is it that so many women fall for hardmen and themselves become the victim of domestic violence? Why is it that so many are willing to put up with the violence and abuse and won't leave for someone who would treat them better? Because the violent abuser provides her with a life of relative luxury and protects her from other predators. It can be seen over and over again, and proves that all that females are concerned with is one's power, status and ability as provider and protector. Everything else comes a very distant second.

buffinator wrote:
My buddy in high school was. About 3 months after he started taking steroids a girl came up to him unprompted and started massaging his shoulders and they dated for about 6 months.

Another buddy started taking steroids and had three girlfriends in succession after never having had a date before.

I find it rather strange that birds would take an interest in someone just because he takes roids. Surely these guys must have some $$$ and/or heavy connections behind them as well(?)

buffinator wrote:
My best friend is a girl and has confided to me that if her boyfriend tries to propose with a ring worth less than 10,000$ she will refuse and possibly dump him.. they have been dating for 10 years. (both have or are working on advanced degrees as well though.)

Maybe she has high standards? The amount of $$$ he is able and/or willing to spend on her is a sign of his ability as a provider.

buffinator wrote:
I don't mean to say that all girls think/ act this way but as a generalization it applies to the average girl, or at least in my experience. The number of girls who will date anyone who is a musician, or an artist etc etc is also a testament to this. They want someone who is special and talented. Music and art give someone value, as compared to money and position. Thats the duel problem with the "women want money/power" contention is that they do <BUT!> They also SHOULD want their mate to have value. The previous argument that "well I don't see them dating the handsome homeless man" is quite valid because clearly mr. homeless comes with a lot of problems he can't solve himself. Dating someone with the intention to solve their problems to no benefit to yourself is not logical.

Exactly. You have to have things to offer that other men don't have, otherwise you're screwed.

buffinator wrote:
The same thing I tell people when going to interviews. The interviewer doesn't give a damn who you are or what your needs are. They care how you can provide value to their company. Once you prove that you are valuable, only then will they worry about maintaining their investment in you. The same thing applies to dating: there is no "who you are" outside of the value you create for others. Do you create entertainment? Happiness? Comfort? Monetaty value? Social equity? What do they have to gain from having a relationship with you? What do you have to gain from having a relationship with them?

Exactly and well said.

buffinator wrote:
Sex has no value because you can have sex with literally anyone, it is transferable and not rare. The lack of scarcity makes it worthless. That is part of the reason that "Looks" are of limited value. They set a social "price floor" but otherwise serve little purpose in the long term. There is no ROI on looks. After you have had sex a few (or few hundred) times you have obtained the full value of someone else's looks and hit diminishing returns.

IDK what 'ROI' means, but again with sex, both men and women aspire to spread good genes, which is why they won't have sex with just anyone. Even the most promiscious among us will be picky to some degree or other, in order to produce fit strong offspring.

Cynic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2014, 1:46 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I guess the problem is that most of us people on the spectrum aren't even average.

We don't do small talk like regular people, we may not even have a job, we may not be able to afford a car because we don't have a job. That's simply below average.

And even when other 'below average' folks don't want you either, you know you're in the s**t then. :lol:

hurtloam wrote:
Why would she go out with someone who was at the same stage she was at when she was 15? Seriously? Why would she? What would she get from that emotionally?

That's what I say to people who have never had a partner once they're +25-30 etc. Normal human behaviour is to shun the abnormal. Always has been and always will be.

Cynic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2014, 1:48 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I knew a girl who dumped her bf because he got her a shirt as a birthday gift (and it was the first gift), the guy even came from another country to see her. She still loves him and cries when she thinks of him but she can't forgive him for his cheap gift.

Stupid greedy cow. :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
No guy would dump his gf over a silly reason like that.

Guys don't rate women based on their purchasing power. ;-)

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I also relate to the steroid phenomena, the most desired guys at the gym I attend (girls obviously appraoch them), are the same guys who take products such as steroids, GH, testosterone injections. Those girls never know that but these guys always expose their secrets in guys-only conversations and they always advice a physically "weakling'' like me to take what they take, I am sure you met a lot of such guys.

I've heard steroids cause impotence - something one of these bodybuilder types told me.

Cynic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2014, 1:52 pm

savvyidentity wrote:
If I was chasing a rich woman she might think I was some kind of sponger

Well Iain Duncan Smith married woman from a wealthy family. Now he leads the war against the welfare state ("scroungers") in the UK. ;-)

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 2:54 pm

ROI means return on investment i.e. value created by making the investment.

The "political dispute" was some gay kid being outed and a stranger started hitting him until I told him to stop, then when I turned away 3 people started hitting him so I picked up the ringleader and chucked him while the other two ran away like little b*****s.

Also, either someone start it or remeind me to start it we need a thread about NT grifting protocols because I have no f*****g idea how that works.

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2014, 3:29 pm

Men only date rich women because they care about money.

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2014, 4:37 pm

Cynic wrote:
savvyidentity wrote:
If I was chasing a rich woman she might think I was some kind of sponger

Well Iain Duncan Smith married woman from a wealthy family. Now he leads the war against the welfare state ("scroungers") in the UK. ;-)

Lol, that's convenient for him - since he's part of the club he can now demonize poor people.

In my experience most of those "scroungers" are working hard to find work, and the myth that "the majority make it look bad on the few" is more like "the few are being used to make the majority look bad". Flattering a certain group of people is a good way to secure votes - ie "working people are better than scroungers and middle class people are better than the working class".

That's off topic I know, it's just good to talk about home.

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2014, 4:57 pm

queensamaria wrote:
Men only date rich women because they care about money.

Ah, wouldn't it be nice if there were hordes of successful/rich women looking to pick up the average guy at a bar. Though I'd be up for that if she had anything else to recommend her I think it an unlikely match.