I don't think I can go on with Fxs boyfriend

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SarahPrecious
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2016, 8:26 am

My boyfriend has fragile x syndrome it's like ASD They are both similar. When we first got together in November everything seemed fine. But now it seems like sometimes its very hard to have an understanding with him. Hes 25 years old and he didn't finish high school. There are alot of times where he would just be so negative about life. He mostly complains instead of trying to be positive and doing something about it he also complains about him not having his driver license I showed him the DMV app When I talk to his brother he tells me, He is lazy he could of done this stuff years ago finish school work on his permit but he didn't want to. He does have a job though. He says he wants to go to school in the spring.. and I don't know if he knows he can do something about it (Visit the school ask questions about the GED program, study the permit app) He constantly blames his grandmother for taking him out of school. When I try to talk to him about trying to be positive he goes "There is nothing positive about my life I could of finished school and had a family now my life is messed up I rather die and be with my mother" And this is repetitive when I try to talk to him. He acts very immature sometimes when I try to ask him questions he will just stare at me and smile. And I say why aren't you responding? He goes "I don't want to argue" He is the biggest sh$$t talker as well and will just smile in someones face afterwards. There are somethings I just cannot deal with I don't have the patience anymore. I want to help him but he doesn't want to help his self I took out my laptop and tried to read to him about his syndrome and he didn't care at all. He doesn't know that his condition is affecting the way he is. He doesn't want to get therapy because he says they won't understand his life. He used to be nice and sweet to me now he just tries to get me jealous because (sadly) I told him what type of girls i'm jealous of and he rubs it in my face if we go out.

Example: We go out to the mall I'm trying on jackets I say which one is better? He says "I don't know I cant help you but I can help the cute girl over there" And he actually go helps her and tells her which jacket he liked.

His immaturity and complaining about everything is way to much for me. I wonder if he knows what he is doing sometimes I think he is trying to upset me purposely. When I told him I wanted to end it he all of a sudden gets his act together and is serious with me and becomes a better boyfriend for a while until I say I can't take it anymore. The understanding level is just completely gone like non existent and he thinks i'm the one that doesn't understand. One minute he acts like a good boyfriend the next moment I don't know whats going on in his head. His brother says he acts like a 14 year old... After thinking about all of this I think I might be done... I don't know what to do anymore

Is it normal to have the characteristic of being really not knowledgeable, The day after we were sexual with one another I burped, and he said you scared me I thought you were going to throw up which is a sign of pregnancy.. He really has lack of understanding for most things

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 8:39 am

Have you read much about Fragile X? It is something that brings challenges to people who have this genetic disorder. Ironically, he seems like he functions rather well for somebody with Fragile X. It doesn't seem like he is too intellectually-challenged, for example. Some people with Fragile X have considerable intellectual challenges.

Fragile X might or might not cause autistic-type behaviors.

Why was he taken out of school?

You can't make an adult do what he/she doesn't want to do. As for driving, maybe he senses that he would have trouble driving, and might cause accidents. As I was saying, people with Fragile X have many challenges. Have you asked him why he doesn't want to get his license? He might not admit it--but I wouldn't be surprised if he fears driving.

Do you feel like you love this man? I sense that he has "grown on" you, but that you might see him more as a friend than as a romantic partner. Think about how you feel about this person. If you don't want to marry him, then I'd look for someone else.

SarahPrecious
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2016, 8:50 am

He told me that he wants to drive and get his own car and stop depending on people but he says he can't buy a car or take out a loan because he has low credit score because he owes a phone company money for over due charges or something not sure what he was talking about. So i'm not sure why he never put in the effort to get the permit. He just wants to blame other things instead of working on the present situation. I'm not sure how he keep saying he is going to start school in the spring it basically is almost spring he never signed up for any classes plus he says he can't take out a loan. Alot of things really just are not adding up. After thinking about everything I know I can't have a serious relationship with him.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 9:11 am

It seems to me like you should move on.

Or, as an alternative, play a more active role in helping him.

I get the feeling that he is really "in over his head" as far as living life is concerned. It seems like he needs some sort of support. I sense that he is doing the best he can, actually.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 9:22 am

Fragile x syndrome is a real genetic disorder, it is scientifically and medically proven, it can be tested medically, and it has a biological definition.

AS is just a psychiatric diagnosis, it is only defined by symptoms/behaviors, it doesn't exist in Medical books, it not yet proven scientifically/biologically. AS is just a theory.

Astro77
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2016, 12:43 pm

I know what it's like to date someone who complains about their situation a lot but does nothing about it. You want to be helpful, supportive, caring and understanding. After months of this you start to lose patience and wonder how serious they really are about wanting to change. Which doesn't even mean you want them to change, you just want them to be like the person you met and developed feelings for. That person might come back from time to time, which gives you temporary hope, but that person isn't real, it's just an act.

Regardless of what he might have, some of his behaviors are unacceptable. Trying to make you jealous on purpose? That's horrible. Don't put up with that