I like to comfort and be comforted is this bad?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 6:21 pm

I don't know why but sometimes I want to comfort a woman but also at time same I want to be comforted to is this normal?

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 6:42 pm

Autism's Empathy issues should effectively prevent you from even knowing how to comfort anyone, or having the impulse to do so.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 7:47 pm

Willard wrote:
Autism's Empathy issues should effectively prevent you from even knowing how to comfort anyone, or having the impulse to do so.

If I care about someone enough I'll want to comfort them when they're upset. My attempts are clumsy and awkward, but a lack of empathy doesn't preclude a lack of care.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2014, 8:03 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Willard wrote:

If I care about someone enough I'll want to comfort them when they're upset. My attempts are clumsy and awkward, but a lack of empathy doesn't preclude a lack of care.

you have no idea what is going on inside their head though or how distraught they really are.

Most of us can't even tell when someone is fake smiling

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 8:06 pm

AutisticGuy1981 wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Willard wrote:

you have no idea what is going on inside their head though or how distraught they really are.

Most of us can't even tell when someone is fake smiling

Normally the type of people who I bother getting to know well are the type of people who'll tell me if they're upset rather than making me guess.
Also, I don't know about you, but if I spend enough time around a person, I can learn to read them.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 10:44 pm

http://www.thestar.com/life/health_well ... tface.html

Basically, the article says that those with AS might actually be more empathetic than NTs, but the aspie trait of being unable to process their emotions and show them in a socially acceptable way means that others usually don't pick up on it. Also, Who_Am_I 's comment makes sense and adds to the theory, since its very possible that poor attempts to help others are often confused with not trying to help.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Apr 2014, 12:57 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
I don't know why but sometimes I want to comfort a woman but also at time same I want to be comforted to is this normal?
It's normal for me & I'm decently good at comforting my girlfriend but she's on the spectrum herself & dealing with depression & anxiety stuff. She doesn't always tell me what's wrong or that she's upset but like Who_Am_I said I kind of learned to read her. The problem I have is that I sometimes feel like I'm walking on eggshells with her & whatever I do makes her more upset but it's the nature of her depression & most anyone would have the same problems handling it & lots would probably be worse than me. She does an OK job of comforting me but the problem I have is that I kind of keep things to myself sometimes because I don't want to burden her because I know she's dealing with alot but my stuff sometimes comes out in the worst ways & at the worst times. We comfort each other then & get through it so that's what counts.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

daydrinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2014, 2:12 am

AspieOtaku wrote:

Perfectly, I feel the same way. I like my role as the protector/comforter. When I'm sick, I shutdown. Fetal position in the blankets and all of that non-sense. When that happens she has to comfort me.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 4:41 am

daydrinker wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

Perfectly, I feel the same way. I like my role as the protector/comforter. When I'm sick, I shutdown. Fetal position in the blankets and all of that non-sense. When that happens she has to comfort me.
I guess Im not alone then. ..I just wish I had someone to comfort and comfort me in return and hug and embrace and...even share feelings. I have a mushy soft side.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 4:44 am

Willard wrote:

Speak for yourself.
I used to be like that, but I learned how to do it. It still feels stupid and I feel like a fool, but it's what's right and what others need.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 5:38 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Willard wrote:

Speak for yourself.
I used to be like that, but I learned how to do it. It still feels stupid and I feel like a fool, but it's what's right and what others need.
You could have many kittycats comfort you! Teehee!