Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 5:41 pm

So, last week I was sick at home and I was in contact with someone new. By Sunday, she had already agreed to meet for a coffee date and I was just organising the date and time with her, probably to organise it for this weekend. Now I've gotten a notification from OKCupid today that she had replied to my last message. The only problem is, I'm now back in university residence and for some reason, the university blocks access to OKCupid from it's internal network. Normally this isn't a problem fro me because I can usually still access it from my cellphone, but now I keep getting this error message on my cellphone saying "Browser was unable to connect to website", even though I'm able to connect to every other website. Now my cellphone obviously doesn't connect to internet through the university's proxy server because it's using Vodacom's internet service and I pay for it using my own airtime, so they can't block anything I do on it.

I've never had this problem before and the fact that I can connect to every other website on my cellphone, including Wrongplanet, seems to me to indicate that OKCupid is offline. Can anyone else confirm this? If not, what am I supposed to do now because I can't reply back to that girl now in order to organise our date.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 7:46 pm

I just logged in, they are up and running. Can you try at an off campus location?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 12:13 am

Halfmadgenius wrote:
I just logged in, they are up and running. Can you try at an off campus location?

No, I can't right now and it's got nothing to with the campus location because I'm paying for my own internet access and uses a direct satellite connection, not the university network. It doesn't use go through any on-campus wifi hotspot like you could on a smartphone. So my access to the internet via the cellphone should have nothing to do with the location because I'm not using anyone else's network, i't's a direct connection to the internet via satellite connection that I'm paying for. If I was accessing the internet through the university's network then I wouldn't have to pay for it (the university provides internet access by default to all the students but the internet access is restricted). I have been paying for my own internet access, and it's quite expensive under the Vodacom contract (I have to pay a few South African rand per megabyte), only so that I can have access to OKCupid because due it being blocked on the university's network. Could it be that just the mobile version of the site is offline?

akrasia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2014, 12:58 am

Download the OKCupid app.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Mar 2014, 1:59 am

Perhaps you can access OKC on campus by using a free web proxey server. I used em in the past a couple times(I have a VPN now) & I just found em by googling them

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 2:25 am

akrasia wrote:
Download the OKCupid app.

How does the OKCupid app work? Doesn't it still need to connect to the website? The one I found was for either iOS or Android and I'm not using either of those.

Last edited by Jono on 12 Mar 2014, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 2:26 am

nick007 wrote:
Perhaps you can access OKC on campus by using a free web proxey server. I used em in the past a couple times(I have a VPN now) & I just found em by googling them

Websites that provide free proxy servers are also blocked.

Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:36 am

Wait until you get home to do it.. :?

Any decent person would understand that you were at school..

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:42 am

886 wrote:

I'm going to go home this afternoon before I go to gym. The only problem is that I live on campus during the week, so if I can't access it from my phone, like I normally do, then I probably can't access it for the whole week, until the weekend. I don't really understand why OKCupid needs to be blocked, (they don't block Facebook, for example) but anyway.

Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:07 am

Jono wrote:
886 wrote:

I'm going to go home this afternoon before I go to gym. The only problem is that I live on campus during the week, so if I can't access it from my phone, like I normally do, then I probably can't access it for the whole week, until the weekend. I don't really understand why OKCupid needs to be blocked, (they don't block Facebook, for example) but anyway.

Oh okay, since you put it that way it makes a lot more sense.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 4:49 pm

OkCupid seems to have changed something on the site recently. I don't know what it is exactly, but I had to allow some new webpage scripts to get my browser to show the website properly.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 1:49 pm

I made this post a month ago and then was finally able to access OKCupid from home using a different browser. Can anyone access it now? I had problems getting onto the site yesterday and when I try to get onto it now, I get the error message "server not found" in Safari, even when I try to access it from home. I checked a website that tests whether other sites are down or not (www.isitdown.com), and their graph seems to show that it was down for a few hours yesterday but it seems to pass the test now, yet it still seems down for me.

Oh, and regarding that girl that I was talking about in the beginning of this thread, I did get to meet her. Unfortunately, she has a boyfriend now who she had met on another dating and decided to start dating site and only decided to start dating after re-establishing contact with him during the week that we had been chatting on OKCupid. Nonetheless, she didn't mind us meeting for a friendly chat as long as it was on the understanding that we weren't going to date each other. On top of that, OKCupid seems to have gone down now just when I had started to chat with someone else.