Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Zylon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jul 2014, 5:18 pm

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's due to severe social and worldly problems. However, I am so unlike Asperger's in some ways. I am just wondering here if I can still be classified "Asperger" with the differences I have from them.

Here I will give one aspect of me which I fear separates me from Asperger. If you think it is compatible, please let me know.

1. Once I am accepted as the personal friend of someone I like, that person becomes the most important aspect of my life; they always will come first. I can get very close, caring, warm, and affectionate with them. I am always there for them. The "coldness" I hear about aspies is the complete reverse for me.

My severe social problems has to do with having a very different mind from NTs, like we are from different planets. I cannot share superficially with them. My interests and orientation to life and reality itself is deeply different from them. However, this is only a problem between strangers, not close friends. I am a very poor stranger, since we have nothing superficial in common. I am also extremely shy. As close friends there may still be a problem of sharing mutual worldly interests, but there would be no problem with the personal part; they would very much feel loved.

However, sex, in the post-pubescent sense, is completely alien to me; it never developed in me, and it has no meaning to me. I can be very intimate and romantic, but I am totally non-sexual. This non-sexuality has nothing to do with intimacy issues, my brain just never changed since early childhood.

If this is not compatible with Asperger, there definitely is no other category in the DSM or ICD for me; I must be either classified "Asperger" or I am out of the DSM or ICD, even though my problems are severe.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 5:26 pm

Certainly seems like something to meditate upon, though I think most of us are more comfortable around others than we're ever willing to admit. The more one is affected by AS, the more everyone else notices it, we aren't solely discussing your reflexes.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2014, 5:57 pm

Diagnosis is just the subjective opinion of your psychiatrist based on his medical training. Someone else might diagnose you differently. It sounds like you've done a lot of reading up on different mental illnesses. If you feel that you fit nothing in there, then I don't know what to say. I'm just the opposite. When I read about different conditions, I find a piece of myself in all of them.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 12:09 am

Many of us have people we are comfortable with and put before anything else. For me it's my mom. When I trust someone they become very important to me. But I am still an aspie. Many of us feel closeness to others, the coldness you hear so much about is the N.T. perception of us based on our inability to always show our affection in a way they can recognize.

Just because I'd catch a bullet for my mom or baby brother doesn't mean they know it. Mom has spent the past three decades coaching me to say "I love you too." I never am the originator of the phrase, I only parrot it back to her. I feel it, but I don't say or really show it. That's were the" coolness" comes from. Not what we feel, but what they see.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 1:27 am

I get super attached to people, like the OP. Also, I felt asexual for years after I was an adult. I guess I was just a late bloomer because that did eventually change.

I am an Autistic person who needs people, mostly other Autsitic people. { I don't need people who treat me 'less than."]

I am also atypical because I am extroverted[sometimes] Basically, what this means is that not only do I annoy NTs' but many other Autistics as well. :(

Zylon

15 Jul 2014, 1:29 am

Halfmadgenius wrote:
Many of us have people we are comfortable with and put before anything else. For me it's my mom. When I trust someone they become very important to me. But I am still an aspie. Many of us feel closeness to others, the coldness you hear so much about is the N.T. perception of us based on our inability to always show our affection in a way they can recognize.

Just because I'd catch a bullet for my mom or baby brother doesn't mean they know it. Mom has spent the past three decades coaching me to say "I love you too." I never am the originator of the phrase, I only parrot it back to her. I feel it, but I don't say or really show it. That's were the" coolness" comes from. Not what we feel, but what they see.

If with someone I like, and if I feel that the people around me will allow it, I do very, very much show affection in the way people will recognize it.
I also have the instinct to say "I love you", and it hurts very much when that is considered inappropriate, such as to a stranger (yes, I can love strangers). But when it is deemed appropriate by the people involved, hugs and "I love you"s fly out of me constantly, more than NTs.
What does this do to my Asperger Dx?

Zylon

15 Jul 2014, 1:44 am

vickygleitz wrote:
I get super attached to people, like the OP. Also, I felt asexual for years after I was an adult. I guess I was just a late bloomer because that did eventually change.

I am an Autistic person who needs people, mostly other Autsitic people. { I don't need people who treat me 'less than."]

I am also atypical because I am extroverted[sometimes] Basically, what this means is that not only do I annoy NTs' but many other Autistics as well. :(

I was born to love a certain type of person, it is "love before first sight". Sex is incompatible to my brain, because my brain has developed full before I was 7 years old; there is no more room, so I will never have sex in me. However, my heart overflows with warmth and physical closeness. One I love someone, it is stable and unconditional.
I am introverted, and extremely shy. I do not approach strangers, even when I should.
I need people desperately, but only of certain types.
I never treat people I like as "less than"; to me a person I like is more, much more, than others.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 6:37 pm

Zylon wrote:

Here I will give one aspect of me which I fear separates me from Asperger. If you think it is compatible, please let me know.

1. Once I am accepted as the personal friend of someone I like, that person becomes the most important aspect of my life; they always will come first. I can get very close, caring, warm, and affectionate with them. I am always there for them. The "coldness" I hear about aspies is the complete reverse for me.

I'll leave the rest alone. This much here sounds a little on the obsessive side if you ask me. Not overly though. It does show a great sense of loyalty to the friend which is well liked as well by good people.

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2014, 4:32 am

From your descriptions, Zylon, I think you might be an aspie. There is a lot of variety among aspies, they are not all "textbook" stereotypes.

Zylon

19 Jul 2014, 2:22 pm

stabilator wrote:
From your descriptions, Zylon, I think you might be an aspie. There is a lot of variety among aspies, they are not all "textbook" stereotypes.

Again, you are saying what aspie is not. I need to know what it IS. Not everything is aspie, that would be ridiculous. Many things can cause social problems.
So I ask you, what IS aspie, that I may be one?