Why do Women do this on Dating Sites?

Page 10 of 14 [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 1:55 am

LKL wrote:
I don't understand why a rape case should be more difficult to prove than a theft case, though. Why should "She wanted it" be a better defense than "He gave it to me,"?

Is 'he gave it to me' a common defense from theft charges? I mean, depending upon the item in question and the relationship between the accused and the accuser, I could see it being easier to prove theft purely because of the nature of the crime, the stolen item being in the possession of the accused being fairly persuasive and all, where as sex and why and with whom we have it being far more nebulous. Short of a massive breakthrough in F-MRI technology or something, I can't think of a good answer, but I certainly don't think lowering the burden of proof is a good way to go.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 11:14 pm

Dox47 wrote:
LKL wrote:
I don't understand why a rape case should be more difficult to prove than a theft case, though. Why should "She wanted it" be a better defense than "He gave it to me,"?

Is 'he gave it to me' a common defense from theft charges?

It would be if society and/or the police bought it.

Quote:
I could see it being easier to prove theft purely because of the nature of the crime, the stolen item being in the possession of the accused being fairly persuasive and all, where as sex and why and with whom we have it being far more nebulous.

In either case, the defendant is acknowledging that something occurred - the sex happened, an change of possession occurred - and the question is entirely whether it was voluntary on the part of the accuser.

Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 5:58 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
So I decided to throw a Hail Mary and try OK Cupid for the third time. It was a monumental waste of time before but then again my eHarmony experience was literally ten times better the second time around. No relationships but a did get both friends and a greatly expanded social circle (and a chance to meet a woman in that circle who might eventually be GF/wife material!). I saw this lovely girl who was a 96% match and had a profile free of clichés. Not drop dead gorgeous but seemed like a down to earth, emotionally available gal I have been searching for. She even had a green under her response level! I was going to message her until I realized she re-wrote her profile. Here is what she says now(direct quotes):

"Just a heads up, since I've been getting messages of these kinds far too often for my tastes, I'm looking for a relationship. I'm not here because you're horny and you feel I'm the most likely to cyber with you at the time. I'm not looking for one night stands, or casual 'encounters'."

"I'm the kind of person that is perfectly fine by myself"

"If you do something that annoys me, or upsets me you are going to know it. I don't mean by giving you the silent treatment until you 'figure it out'. I will tell you right then and there what you are doing is upsetting and you had best not do it again."

"I don't share. Period. The second I find out you are or were cheating on me, your ass is grass. First offense I am gone, I don't need that s**t in my life."

"you like anything you see/read here! Though one rule:
Instead of sending me a dick pic (because this happens more often then I thought it really would) you can send me:"
and a long list of "acceptable" pictures.

Why would someone write a profile like that? Is that really going to motivate a high quality male such as myself to message her? What is she thinking? Can you say "bitter?" :roll: All I can think of is why would any decent, self-respecting guy respond to that nasty profile? She literally has nothing to offer in her new profile except to show what a nasty attitude she has! Maybe I should re-write my profile to say "I am sick of emotionally unavailable women who can't seem to figure out what they want! Get lost until you are serious about a relationship!" I'm blunt as they come like most Aspies but I do know how to phrase my desires in a respectful and polite way. If she is that bitter about the poor responses, why the heck doesn't she take the time and energy to make that terrible profile to get up off her butt and message guys she thinks match her criteria? Makes no sense to me!

See, as much truth as there is to what you're saying, you also have to understand what women go through on okcupid. There is a never-ending daily supply of horny men with no filter messaging them, and it drives them to put such things on their profile. Online dating is a black hole for stereotypes, narcissism, cynicism, gender roles, the list goes on and on. If you want to get to know her, just ignore all that crap and start a conversation with her, you never know, she could in fact be what you're looking for, and you could have a great conversation. Or you could just be another message in her inbox along with 90 other people. Either way, life goes on.

But still, I feel it's better to meet people in person, by accident, and not forcing the situation. It's more natural, you know? No need to force the situation like online dating does.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 6:30 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
So I decided to throw a Hail Mary and try OK Cupid for the third time. It was a monumental waste of time before but then again my eHarmony experience was literally ten times better the second time around. No relationships but a did get both friends and a greatly expanded social circle (and a chance to meet a woman in that circle who might eventually be GF/wife material!). I saw this lovely girl who was a 96% match and had a profile free of clichés. Not drop dead gorgeous but seemed like a down to earth, emotionally available gal I have been searching for. She even had a green under her response level! I was going to message her until I realized she re-wrote her profile. Here is what she says now(direct quotes):

"Just a heads up, since I've been getting messages of these kinds far too often for my tastes, I'm looking for a relationship. I'm not here because you're horny and you feel I'm the most likely to cyber with you at the time. I'm not looking for one night stands, or casual 'encounters'."

"I'm the kind of person that is perfectly fine by myself"

"If you do something that annoys me, or upsets me you are going to know it. I don't mean by giving you the silent treatment until you 'figure it out'. I will tell you right then and there what you are doing is upsetting and you had best not do it again."

"I don't share. Period. The second I find out you are or were cheating on me, your ass is grass. First offense I am gone, I don't need that s**t in my life."

"you like anything you see/read here! Though one rule:
Instead of sending me a dick pic (because this happens more often then I thought it really would) you can send me:"
and a long list of "acceptable" pictures.

Why would someone write a profile like that? Is that really going to motivate a high quality male such as myself to message her? What is she thinking? Can you say "bitter?" :roll: All I can think of is why would any decent, self-respecting guy respond to that nasty profile? She literally has nothing to offer in her new profile except to show what a nasty attitude she has! Maybe I should re-write my profile to say "I am sick of emotionally unavailable women who can't seem to figure out what they want! Get lost until you are serious about a relationship!" I'm blunt as they come like most Aspies but I do know how to phrase my desires in a respectful and polite way. If she is that bitter about the poor responses, why the heck doesn't she take the time and energy to make that terrible profile to get up off her butt and message guys she thinks match her criteria? Makes no sense to me!

I am actually legitimately confused as to why this is perceived as nasty, only that maybe there is just some kind of assumption that the intention is nasty.

...what she is really doing is being completely upfront and explicit about her expectations and what she wants. i have no idea why any of this is rude. It does not seem rude to me at all. Also, having BEEN a female on OKCupid, I agree with the previous poster: being totally clear, without niceties is very necessary.

But also: what makes you think that this woman can not be equal parts of both versions of the profile? Had she done any of the quiz questions? ...would you take the two minutes to message her and ask why she changed her profile and comment that you really thought you two had in common when you read the previous one?

Why hadn't you if you hadn't?
How do you know she isn't messaging guys?

It kind of seems like you really have no idea what kind of messages women get on OKC, though. Some of them are completely unreal. I ended up putting some stuff toward the end of my profile [not at the complete bottom] just to weed out weirdos. One of the things was something like "if you got this far, please mention [whatever it was i put] so i know you didn't just check out my picture an not give a crap about anything else kgreatthanks" because I was getting a lot of strange and sleazy messages- much like the ones this woman referred to.

[and I would certainly message people I found interesting first]

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 8:55 am

jerry00 wrote:
I always see profiles saying no dick pics etc. I respond saying hey I'm a good guy who doesn't take pictures of his dick and also I have interests in common with you blah blah blah, and guess what? Never get a reply. I think they do it to get attention mostly.

It's happened enough times that I'm tempted to take some pics of my dick and start sending them out just to be contrary. It's not like they could treat me any worse than they already do... and I don't even deserve it, so I might as well start doing bad things if they're going to treat me like a bad person whatever the f**k I do.

I think its bad treatment to get blocked all the time for sending polite, friendly, bespoke, thoughtful, and sincere messages. I'd probably get a better response if I did just email my dick to 100 women.

Just my two cents.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 8:29 pm

jerry00 wrote:
I always see profiles saying no dick pics etc. I respond saying hey I'm a good guy who doesn't take pictures of his dick and also I have interests in common with you blah blah blah, and guess what? Never get a reply.

Do you actually say that? I'm pretty sure she doesn't want you to mention the word "dick" in your message to her at all. Just leave it out of the message (like she should have left it out of her profile).

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 12:27 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
jerry00 wrote:
I always see profiles saying no dick pics etc. I respond saying hey I'm a good guy who doesn't take pictures of his dick and also I have interests in common with you blah blah blah, and guess what? Never get a reply. I think they do it to get attention mostly.

It's happened enough times that I'm tempted to take some pics of my dick and start sending them out just to be contrary. It's not like they could treat me any worse than they already do... and I don't even deserve it, so I might as well start doing bad things if they're going to treat me like a bad person whatever the f**k I do.

I think its bad treatment to get blocked all the time for sending polite, friendly, bespoke, thoughtful, and sincere messages. I'd probably get a better response if I did just email my dick to 100 women.

Just my two cents.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-iMVsi0IuY[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 7:36 am

SignOfLazarus wrote:
I am actually legitimately confused as to why this is perceived as nasty, only that maybe there is just some kind of assumption that the intention is nasty.

I am confused that anyone would see it as anything other than nasty. Again, if this was a cover letter it would be instantly trashed. These statements scream "I have excess baggage" and it turns out in this case, I was right.

Quote:
But also: what makes you think that this woman can not be equal parts of both versions of the profile? Had she done any of the quiz questions? ...would you take the two minutes to message her and ask why she changed her profile and comment that you really thought you two had in common when you read the previous one?

Why hadn't you if you hadn't?
How do you know she isn't messaging guys?

[and I would certainly message people I found interesting first]

Yes, I did message her and as typical for that site, she flaked after the second message. Turns out she is showing all the signs of a classic Borderline/Cluster B personality and I don't want to repeat what a nightmare that was for me last time around. I don't doubt women get nasty messages but my point is don't punish those of us who don't engage in such behavior. Doesn't matter because the quality of women on that site is downright terrible when it comes to looking for a long term relationship anyway, no doubt because the good ones (of both genders) aren't prepared for the cascade of BS that comes with online dating.

Judging by the fact that I received more messages on eHarmony in two days than from OKCupid in two years should tell you all you need to know about how many women message first where I live. BTW, In case you are wondering, I am permanently closing my account there after my date on Wednesday. I am even tempted to cancel the date because she is showing serious red flags already.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 7:38 am

How is being upfront about not liking certain behaviour "punishing people who don't engage in that behaviour"?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 7:51 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
How is being upfront about not liking certain behaviour "punishing people who don't engage in that behaviour"?

There is a difference between saying "no tattoos or body piercings please" (like I once did) to "if I discover you have ink or metal on your body, your ass is out the door." If nobody can see the difference in those two statements, I officially give up.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 7:55 am

I see that one is more blunt than the other. I still don't see how it's punishing anyone.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 8:14 am

The first statement implies, as I guess, "I don't date people who have tattoos or body piercings" .
The second implies: "I'll kick you out of my house if I find out you have tattoos or some body piercing".

The first is a condition statement, the second is.....a willingness for an act of intolerance. Am I getting that right?

But not sure how this analogy is related to what she said on her profile, she didn't say she would kick anybody's butt.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 8:25 am

I'd suggest finding out whether the person has tattoos or body piercings before getting to the living-together stage. That way, no kicking out of anyone's a$s will be needed.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 9:04 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

There is a difference between saying "no tattoos or body piercings please" (like I once did) to "if I discover you have ink or metal on your body, your ass is out the door." If nobody can see the difference in those two statements, I officially give up.

I can I can! Don't give up!

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 10:55 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
I'd suggest finding out whether the person has tattoos or body piercings before getting to the living-together stage. That way, no kicking out of anyone's a$s will be needed.

On an unrelated note, since I removed any mention of that in my profile, all the girls I went out with have no tattoos and only one ear piercing. None of them worked out but one introduced me to her friends and other than one having a small tattoo, they all fit my preference. Maybe if I mentioned it they might have got the wrong idea and thought I was intolerant and judgmental. I do say on the second date though. I can tolerate small tattoos and piercings as long as they aren't crazy now but it is a huge turnoff for me personally.

Bringing it back to topic, it's just like a girl who had a near perfect profile and then said (yes, in all capitals) DON'T CONTACT ME IF YOU ARE NOT AT LEAST 5'9"! I instantly closed that match even though I am WELL past that height requirement.

Last edited by GiantHockeyFan on 14 Oct 2014, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 12:53 pm

The chick's profile sounds like something I might write due to my extreme honesty and bluntness.

I've been told I scare men: therefore, I can see why men might find this particular profile unattractive. :D

GHF, I think it shows your strength of character that you gave her a shot despite your misgivings.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)