torn between two conflicting desires

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 7:08 am

Nobody seems to understand. That's probably because I might be psychotic. That psychosis is basically what I'm talking about. It's like my world-view has been altered, I don't live guided by common sense. And even though I've never had a girlfriend I can imagine that it would kind of get me down onto Earth, which is where I don't want to be. It's like I've become a Jew, or the lost tribes of Israel, and one of those things that might be the final nail in the coffin of the Jew-status, that would make me a Gentile, prole, agent, is to have a relationship with a woman. I don't know if the military organization ISIS has anything to do with the Egyptian goddess Isis but when I think about it it makes total sense if it does. Islam as a whole seems to me that it might have this characteristic. As I said I think Islam, or at least the most exoteric form of Sunni Islam, is basically a materialist philosophy. And the lifting up of women on a pedestal, and the worship of family and procreation, to me seems to be a religion for the unevolved, the Gentiles, the proles, and probably serves a purpose for them, but I don't feel that I am one of them. I also work at a workplace where almost all my workmates are Muslim, and they more or less ostracize me. It feels like I'm at a crossroads, that is stretched out over time, a gradual process. One way is to adapt to the Muslims at work, adopt their philosophy, get a woman (that would mean marry I guess which complicates the issue further since I don't have a desire to marry and have a family), have children, forgive my parents etc. and then perhaps no longer be ostracized by them. Or I persevere and follow my heart which says I'm different from them, and I should not adapt to them. There's a whole lot of philosophical speculation that goes into this. I have also felt that I am more or less miserable a lot of times and that I might want a girlfriend to ease the misery. However I feel that my misery and hopelessness is probably to a large extent due to my sins, and that giving in to the temptation of a snake/woman and begin to fornicate regularly would not be the solution to that problem, but might, as I said, make it worse in the long run at least.

I have felt that I might be Israel, in more than just a symbolic sense. Yeah that sounds weird, possibly stupid, maybe psychotic etc. A lot of people might not understand what I mean. It is a kind of psychotic thing and it's hard to explain, and it's speculative to a large extent. But I have felt that I might have some connection to that country, or that that country is a reflection of myself in my outer world, or something similar. Like one time when I was doing some good deeds that made me feel closer to God and that caused a rather remarkable mental reaction in me, partly what seemed to be a psychosis, this coincided with the war situation with Israel that happened this summer. I am surrounded by Muslims, and so is that country. As I said, Isis-women. During a period where I hated people and the world more than usually I happened to stumble upon an article, and a discussion about the article, which was about how Israel is a sick society and how it has alienated itself from the entire civilized world. Here is an article that discusses whether the ten lost tribes of Israel will ever be reunited with the Jews:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_c ... 15a1701071

Quote:
Rabbi Shimon ben Yehudah, of the town of Acco, says in the name of Rabbi Shimon: “If their deeds are as this day’s, they will not return; otherwise they shall.

Quote:
there seem to be three opinions on the matter. Rabbi Akiva holds that the ten tribes are not coming back; Rabbi Eliezer holds that they are; and Rabbi Shimon says that it depends on whether they repent.

I don't know what "this day's deeds" means exactly, or what repent means exactly, but it might be related to the ten commandments that are mentioned in the text I linked. One of the commandments is to not commit adultery.

Quote:
adultery

voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and someone other than his or her lawful spouse.
source: dictionary.com

Maybe this does not apply, since neither of us are married. Also, regarding marriage I have read this view online:

Quote:
What Establishes a Marriage?

"...true marriage has nothing to do with the social or religious formulas of this barbaric humanity. The authentic marriage is performed when a couple unites in spirit, soul, and sex; the true marriage must be pure like a lotus flower."
source: http://gnosticteachings.org/faqs/sex/16 ... imony.html

I don't know how reliable gnosticteachings.org is, or Samael Aun Weor, the man whose teachings that site is based upon.

Another of the ten commandments is to honor your father and your mother. I don't know exactly what that means, but it appears to contradict the following statement found in Gospel of Thomas:

Quote:
Jesus said, "Whoever does not hate father and mother cannot be my disciple, and whoever does not hate brothers and sisters, and carry the cross as I do, will not be worthy of me."

and a similar thing found in Gospel of Luke in the Bible:

Quote:
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.

This seems to me to be quite central to what makes me who I am, and what might distinguish me from the Muslims at my workplace.

While gnosticteachings.org says that you have to be married in order to be initiated into "the greater mysteries", and while that site claims to be "Gnostic", the following is found on wikipedia in the article on Gnosticism:

Quote:
Gnosticism (from Ancient Greek: γνωστικός gnostikos, "learned", from γνῶσις gnōsis, knowledge) describes a collection of ancient religions whose adherents shunned the material world created by the demiurge and embraced the spiritual world.[1] Gnostic ideas influenced many ancient religions[2] that teach that gnosis (variously interpreted as knowledge, enlightenment, salvation, emancipation or 'oneness with God') may be reached by practicing philanthropy to the point of personal poverty, sexual abstinence (as far as possible for hearers, completely for initiates) and diligently searching for wisdom by helping others.[3] However, practices varied among those who were Gnostic.

As for the country Israel being a reflection in my outer world of myself, that might not be all that strange when you look into it, if you read about Kabbalah for example. I'm not saying it's true but there are some mind-blowing things in Kabbalah, whether true or not I don't know. The star of David is also said by some to represent "as above so below", which seems related. And regarding the whole concept of mental disorders and illnesses, such as psychotic illnesses, there are sites online that say that Jews have a higher incidence than others of various mental disorders and illnesses. This statement is found in The Jewish Encyclopedia from 1906:

Quote:
INSANITY

Mental disease. Among the Jews the proportion of insane has been observed to be very large.
source: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/artic ... 3-insanity

I have also wondered about what the truth is about my mother, who I hate. It is said that Jew-status is inherited through the mother. Can there be a person in a line of descent that is the first to be a Jew is also something I have been wondering. My mother's lack of love for me, and my hatred of her, in accordance with those quotes from Gospel of Thomas and Gospel of Luke, might have relevance to this. Several things are interesting in this context. I found this on the site about the lost tribes of Israel above:

Quote:
Rabbi Akiva’s view was that those people who were exiled do not have a share in the World to Come; however, their offspring will repent and do have a share in the World to Come, and those offspring will return at the time of the final redemption

What exactly does repent entail in this case?

I found this interesting article on wikipedia:

Quote:
Mentalization

In psychology, mentalization is the ability to understand the mental state of oneself and others which underlies overt behaviour.[1] Mentalization can be seen as a form of imaginative mental activity, which allows us to perceive and interpret human behaviour in terms of intentional mental states (e.g. needs, desires, feelings, beliefs, goals, purposes, and reasons).[2][3] Another term that David Wallin has used for mentalization is "Thinking about thinking".[4]

While the Theory of Mind has been discussed in philosophy at least since Descartes, the concept of mentalization emerged in psychoanalytic literature in the late 1960s, and became empirically tested in 1983 when Heinz Wimmer and Josef Perner[5] ran the first experiment to investigate when children can understand false belief, inspired by Daniel Dennett's interpretation of a Punch and Judy scene. The field diversified in the early 1990s when Simon Baron-Cohen and Uta Frith, building on the Wimmer and Perner study, and others merged it with research on the psychological and biological mechanisms underlying autism and schizophrenia. Concomitantly, Peter Fonagy and colleagues applied it to developmental psychopathology in the context of attachment relationships gone awry.[6] More recently, several child mental health researchers such as Arietta Slade,[7] John Grienenberger,[8] Alicia Lieberman,[9] Daniel Schechter,[10] and Susan Coates[11] have applied mentalization both to research on parenting and to clinical interventions with parents, infants, and young children.

Mentalization has implications for attachment theory as well as self-development. According to Peter Fonagy, individuals without proper attachment (e.g. due to physical, psychological or sexual abuse), can have greater difficulties in the development of mentalization-abilities. Attachment history partially determines the strength of mentalizing capacity of individuals. Securely-attached individuals tend to have had a primary caregiver that has more complex and sophisticated mentalizing abilities. As a consequence, these children possess more robust capacities to represent the states of their own and other people’s minds. Early childhood exposure to mentalization can serve to protect the individual from psychosocial adversity.[2][12] This theory needs further empirical support.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentalization

Interestingly it seems that some of the names mentioned in that article are Jews. I know that at least Baron-Cohen and Lieberman are Jewish names.

This is why I have speculated that people with "mental disorders" such as Asperger's might be "Jews in Egypt", and people with psychotic illnesses might be "Jews in Babylon" or something similar, the shift between the two being the first "psychotic break", or "Moses on mount Sinai". It appears to me that I have experienced Moses on mount Sinai, and received "Torah", i.e. truth, which is what Torah means as far as I know, while most people on this forum have not received that and thus have no clue what I'm talking about, they are still slaves in Egypt.

This is in the Quran, sura 2 verse 102:

Quote:
And they followed [instead] what the devils had recited during the reign of Solomon. It was not Solomon who disbelieved, but the devils disbelieved, teaching people magic and that which was revealed to the two angels at Babylon, Harut and Marut. But the two angels do not teach anyone unless they say, "We are a trial, so do not disbelieve [by practicing magic]." And [yet] they learn from them that by which they cause separation between a man and his wife. But they do not harm anyone through it except by permission of Allah . And the people learn what harms them and does not benefit them. But the Children of Israel certainly knew that whoever purchased the magic would not have in the Hereafter any share. And wretched is that for which they sold themselves, if they only knew.

This separation between a man and his wife to me sounds a lot like it might be related to the "mentalization" talked about in the wikipedia article. The Quran, if I'm not mistaken (I have read a part of it but don't remember clearly everything I read), talks several times about separation and corruption in the land, related to "the children of Israel". I have been studying the connection between Jews and various forms of politics that serve to cause separation between people, for example cultural Marxism.

My mother has a man. (not my father) I feel very different from my mother in many ways. She doesn't seem to be nearly as mentally disordered as I am, much more neurotypical. Having a partner that you have sex with might be one of those things that you should not do if you are part of the ten lost tribes of Israel and wish to walk the right path and not remain a slave forever. I don't know anything.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 8:28 am

I find that quite often lately when I go see a movie, the movie relates to things I have been thinking about in the proximate time period. I don't know to what extent it's synchronistic and to what extent it's just me reading things into the plot and meaning that interconnect with what's going on in my mind at the time, which might be part of what synchronicity is anyway.

When I was discussing ostracization by Muslims recently I went and saw Nightcrawler, that I found related a lot to that thread. Yesterday, tired after work, I went and saw Interstellar. I was not nearly as impressed by that movie as by Nightcrawler for some reason and found myself half-sleeping through the latter half of the movie. In connection to this thread I found it interesting the concept of leaving humanity behind in the quest for something else, and how the connection to people on Earth was discussed, and the lack of such connection. I have been thinking for quite some time about how I feel that I am different from the Muslims at my workplace and how I sometimes feel like I'm worshiping death. I feel that anyone who loves their parents is unevolved, and that anyone who has a desire to have children is different from me in some major way. When I watched Interstellar one emotion I had lingered through the entire movie, and that was the impression of how an utterly constipated sentimentality colored the entire movie, based on the supposed grandness of humanity, where I felt that my instinctual emotional response was "who gives a f**k?". I would probably not have grieved to leave Earth and humanity behind. There was a bit too much tear-dripping for my taste.

I have been thinking a lot about how I feel like I have split up into two different personalities. I have read about hypnosis and that has made me wonder if I have been hypnotized and have no memory of that because the erasure of that memory was part of the hypnosis. I really don't know. I also think it is likely that some form of hypnosis is occurring on a massive level, to masses of humans, but that it is good and a spiritual thing. I seem to have the personality that I read on one site is linked to a resistance to hypnosis, extreme ectotonia. However that seems to be contradicted by what I read in a book about how people chosen to be hypnotized might be those showing signs of antisocial behavior and paranoia, which I have but which paradoxically seems to be closely related to ectotonia, which I read on that site is, in extreme cases at least, related to being resistant to hypnosis.

I have felt that of the two people I might have split into one might be shrinking and the other growing. There was a poem in Interstellar that seems to have relevance to this, and to the whole Muslim vs Jew issue that I have discussed.

Quote:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
old age should burn and rave at close of day.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right
[...]

The shrinking part of me seems to be going into good night. However, I am not convinced that I should rage against the dying of the light, which seems to be basically Muslim philosophy. As I said, I would probably not grieve to leave humanity behind. But I also feel that Muslim philosophy is fundamentally based on a materialist world-view and one that I do not resonate with. I know nothing.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 8:53 am

Anyone that is interested in my thoughts might find this book interesting:

http://www.kabbalah.info/eng/content/view/frame/4262?/eng/content/view/full/4262&main

I have not yet read the whole book. I have read some books by Michael Laitman, who appears to be the author of the book I linked to. I don't know how reliable he is. I am suspicious.

Quote:
The terms “Jew” and “Gentile” do not relate to this or that individual, but express two spiritual situations in the same person. The word - Jewish (Hebrew: Yehudi) comes from the word - unification (Yechud), connection with the Creator, the inner essence of man’s soul and a Gentile is its outer essence. Our freedom of choice is in choosing to develop the inner part, called Jewish, and overcome the outer part, called Gentile. Israel’s situation is directly related to the approach to those two parts in the soul of each and every one of us.

The two parts of me that I seem to have split up into might be the Jew and the Gentile. It's interesting that I have read about how there are mind control techniques of hypnosis and such that have the goal of creating two or multiple personalities. I am reading about this currently in Mass Control: Engineering Human Consciousness by Jim Keith. I don't know if there is any connection and if so, what that is.

The article I talked about mentioning ectotonia and hypnosis is here: http://www.innerexplorations.com/catpsy/t1c4.htm

Red Ice Radio discusses these issues somewhat, usually from a right-wing perspective. One interview I listened to recently that I found interesting was this:

http://www.redicecreations.com/radio/2014/12/RIR-141205.php

Here's an interesting audio clip I listened to recently that has some relevance:

Is this all off-topic? I think not. This is the kind of things I think about when I think about such a seemingly mundane matter as whether or not to go on a date.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 11:26 am

How boring you are. Anyway, I'll keep talking to myself.

Based on the view expressed on gnosticteachings.org, that you can only be initiated into the lesser mysteries as a single and that you need a partner to be initiated into the greater mysteries, and the view that was expressed on marriage:

Quote:
What Establishes a Marriage?

"...true marriage has nothing to do with the social or religious formulas of this barbaric humanity. The authentic marriage is performed when a couple unites in spirit, soul, and sex; the true marriage must be pure like a lotus flower."

perhaps this woman has appeared in my life because I am ready for the greater mysteries now. Perhaps a decade of being all alone is enough. And that this is the woman that I should have that "marriage" with. I don't know.

It still puzzles me why my workmates were such as*holes recently. That is interesting in relation to one thing I heard on gnosticteachings.org. In one of the audio files they talk about how when you are initiated your life gets worse, you might lose your job etc. I was actually threatened with being fired from my job. So the fact that that happened probably less than an hour after I had said in my head that I will not talk to this woman is quite remarkable. They also said on gnosticteachings.org that when you are initiated and lose your job etc. a lot of people will say the teachings don't work and they will stop, but, said they, those things are signs the teachings work and that you are being initiated. I don't remember which audio file it was.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 11:34 am

I said in another thread that evolved people don't procreate. It remains my view that anyone who has a desire to have children is unevolved, and that they must not have suffered a lot. I also think that anyone who loves their parents and siblings is unevolved and must not have suffered a lot. I have noticed several interesting things when I compare myself to my Muslim workmates. One thing is that they have much higher emotional intelligence, and are much more connected to other people, something I have noticed in Muslims in general. I have also noticed that my workmates use much more body language than I do. I use some signs and facial expressions and such, but when I sit beside them and see them talk I am astounded by how much they express with their body language.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 4:38 pm

I don't know what forum I should write on. I am more or less alone on every forum I've written on. That might be related in some way to the fact that I'm alone everywhere IRL also, including work.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 4:44 pm

My observations on emotional intelligence, connection to others and "mentalization" make me think about the quote by Aldous Huxley:

Quote:
civilization is sterilization

Plum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2014, 5:02 pm

OK, I am not entirely sure if I am correct in my assessment of your situation, but they way I see it is kind of like this:
a) you are aware of the fact you are psychotic - which means you live in your own made up universe, most of the time
b) you are also aware of the fact that there is another world, overlapping yours, which consist of people regurgitating ideas
c) you are in conflict about how to exist in both worlds at the same time and think you have to do some sort of act (initiation) in order to choose either one or the other

Pills can maybe help if you want to be like everyone else. But it's not guaranteed.
Also, sometimes helps to remember that the world b is a world of Agreement. People choose to create and uphold the world by confirming it's status quo with each thought and action. this is why real change is so slow to happen in this world.

But basically, it seems like you are lonely because you don't have the skills to connect to other people in a meaningful way. Sometimes therapy can help with this, but only if you are willing to accept the premise that you will have to compromise.

Anyway, not sure if you've come across this before, but perhaps Buddhism teachings could offer you some relief:

http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhis ... 20Ties.htm

Know your rights: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/communication-success/201406/how-spot-and-stop-manipulators

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 5:47 pm

Plum wrote:
OK, I am not entirely sure if I am correct in my assessment of your situation, but they way I see it is kind of like this:
a) you are aware of the fact you are psychotic - which means you live in your own made up universe, most of the time
b) you are also aware of the fact that there is another world, overlapping yours, which consist of people regurgitating ideas
c) you are in conflict about how to exist in both worlds at the same time and think you have to do some sort of act (initiation) in order to choose either one or the other

Pills can maybe help if you want to be like everyone else. But it's not guaranteed.
Also, sometimes helps to remember that the world b is a world of Agreement. People choose to create and uphold the world by confirming it's status quo with each thought and action. this is why real change is so slow to happen in this world.

But basically, it seems like you are lonely because you don't have the skills to connect to other people in a meaningful way. Sometimes therapy can help with this, but only if you are willing to accept the premise that you will have to compromise.

Anyway, not sure if you've come across this before, but perhaps Buddhism teachings could offer you some relief:

http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhis ... 20Ties.htm
Ok, so that's the way you see it. How I see it is different. I don't think that being psychotic necessarily means "living in your own made up universe". Well, to a certain extent perhaps. But I think that psychotic people, while they might have less "mentalization" than others, being more of free-floating atoms, and in that sense a separate universe, I think that this is also what makes you see certain things that others don't see. While it might be a subjective reality it appears that you have to be alienated in order to see certain things that others don't. Kind of like you only see that the Earth is round from space. Those that are less alienated tend to think that they see an objective reality, when they probably see a subjective reality too, albeit one that is shared by many.

Quote:
Rumi has nothing but pity and disdain for those who look at the world around and within themselves and do not understand that what they are seeing is a veil over reality. The world is a dream, a prison, a trap, foam thrown up from the ocean, dust kicked up by a passing horse. But it is not what it appears to be. If everything that appears to us were just as it appears, the Prophet, who was endowed with such penetrating vision, both illuminated and illuminating, would never have cried out, "Oh Lord, show us things as they are!" Rumi draws a fundamental distinction between "form" (surat) and "meaning" (ma`na). Form is a thing's outward appearance, meaning its inward and unseen reality.

source: The Sufi Path of Love: The Spiritual Teachings of Rumi by William C. Chittick

Quote:
Dearest friend, do you not see
All that we perceive -
Only reflects and shadows forth
What our eyes cannot see.
Dearest friend, do you not hear
In the clamour of everyday life -
Only the unstrung echoing fall of
Jubilant harmonies.
http://www.gnostics.com/newdawn-1.html

Quote:
"Platonism" is a term coined by scholars to refer to the intellectual consequences of denying, as Plato's Socrates often does, the reality of the material world. In several dialogues, most notably the Republic, Socrates inverts the common man's intuition about what is knowable and what is real. While most people take the objects of their senses to be real if anything is, Socrates is contemptuous of people who think that something has to be graspable in the hands to be real. In the Theaetetus, he says such people are eu amousoi (εὖ ἄμουσοι), an expression that means literally, "happily without the muses" (Theaetetus 156a). In other words, such people live without the divine inspiration that gives him, and people like him, access to higher insights about reality.

Socrates's idea that reality is unavailable to those who use their senses is what puts him at odds with the common man, and with common sense. Socrates says that he who sees with his eyes is blind, and this idea is most famously captured in his allegory of the cave, and more explicitly in his description of the divided line. The allegory of the cave (begins Republic 7.514a) is a paradoxical analogy wherein Socrates argues that the invisible world is the most intelligible ("noeton") and that the visible world ("(h)oraton") is the least knowable, and the most obscure.

Socrates says in the Republic that people who take the sun-lit world of the senses to be good and real are living pitifully in a den of evil and ignorance. Socrates admits that few climb out of the den, or cave of ignorance, and those who do, not only have a terrible struggle to attain the heights, but when they go back down for a visit or to help other people up, they find themselves objects of scorn and ridicule.

According to Socrates, physical objects and physical events are "shadows" of their ideal or perfect forms, and exist only to the extent that they instantiate the perfect versions of themselves. Just as shadows are temporary, inconsequential epiphenomena produced by physical objects, physical objects are themselves fleeting phenomena caused by more substantial causes, the ideals of which they are mere instances. For example, Socrates thinks that perfect justice exists (although it is not clear where) and his own trial would be a cheap copy of it.

Quote:
The theory of Forms (or theory of Ideas) typically refers to the belief that the material world as it seems to us is not the real world, but only an "image" or "copy" of the real world. In some of Plato's dialogues, this is expressed by Socrates, who spoke of forms in formulating a solution to the problem of universals. The forms, according to Socrates, are archetypes or abstract representations of the many types of things, and properties we feel and see around us, that can only be perceived by reason (Greek: λογική). (That is, they are universals.) In other words, Socrates was able to recognize two worlds: the apparent world, which constantly changes, and an unchanging and unseen world of forms, which may be the cause of what is apparent.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato#Metaphysics

This is also what makes schizotypals interested in the occult, the supernatural, conspiracy etc.

Quote:
It's not widely known, but The Cold War was lost, the West lost The Cold War, culturally. It won it geopolitically, when the Soviet Union collapsed from 1989 through to the early nineties. We won that sort of objective geopolitical level of Cold War but we lost the cultural Cold War. And the reason we don't talk about it is that those who would be talking about it are the children of the victors. It's a message that is met with a blank stare. People just don't know what to make of it. And it's difficult because we are all influenced by that defeat. But the thing is our houses are not heard, our daily routines are not heard. What's heard is our minds, our consciousnesses. So the way we look at the world, the prison through which we view reality and society, has been altered. And we carry that prison around with us. So we're caged, as Max Faber called it, we're caged by mere concepts. But these are powerful concepts. We lost the cultural Cold War and somehow we have to find ourselves, we have to find our way back to viewing reality as it is. It's really interesting, so you can see that this question you asked leads to profound questions about how we think.
source: http://www.redicecreations.com/radio/20 ... 140604.php

Quote:
There is a history of the world of which most people are unaware. It is encapsulated in the phrase, “History is written by the victors.” What about those who lost? Their stories are lost in the tales of the winners. They are notes in the margin. They are “Other”. Often, little is known about them beyond the slanders and libels their successful enemies levelled at them. History doesn’t record their voices. Often, they left no written documents, or at least none that survived the destruction wrought by their enemies.

This lost history doesn’t concern wars between great nations or famous battles involving powerful kings or the most skilled generals. Instead, it is a struggle of the powerless against the powerful, of minorities against majorities, outsiders versus insiders, oppressed against the oppressors, have-nots against haves, those with nothing against those with everything, the margins of society versus the establishment. In the vast majority of cases, the establishment is triumphant. Often, the minorities - the heretics, the rebels, the revolutionaries, the members of the resistance, the freedom fighters, those leading alternative lives, the anti-establishment, those who won’t bow to tyrants - are destroyed and exterminated. They are usually labelled mad, evil and dangerous and their terrible fate is held up as a warning to those who might follow the same path. “Do not be like them or you will suffer the same consequences,” is the message.
source: http://armageddonconspiracy.co.uk/The-I ... 027%29.htm

Somebody somewhere said something like that autism is disconnection from people and schizophrenia is one step further on some form of spectrum, disconnection from reality. Well, to a certain degree I agree perhaps, but I think there's more to it, something you have to be in it to see.

Robert Sapolsky has talked about schizotypy and he argues that religions are written by very powerful schizotypals.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 5:56 pm

As I said I half-slept throw the latter half of Interstellar, and I found the outer layer of the movie, the vehicle of the message, unimpressing. But I find that there are many movies with an apparent content that is unimpressing, but there can still be an underlying message that is worthwhile. In a lot of cases I think the vehicle is deliberately made mediocre or even very subversive, for various reasons. For all I know Interstellar might have very little to do with space travel. I wouldn't be surprised if it is about the things I have talked about in this thread. You have for example them being out in space being very alienated and alone, sitting in an aluminum can with nothing but empty space for billions of miles outside. They find their minds being increasingly twisted as the journey progresses. Yet there is a moment when they find out that there was never any hope of saving the humans back on Earth, and it's they that are going to survive.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 3:46 pm

I did some more research on the names mentioned in the wikipedia article on mentalization. This article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentalization

These are all the names (except Descartes):

David Wallin
Heinz Wimmer
Josef Perner
Daniel Dennett
Simon Baron-Cohen
Uta Frith
Peter Fonagy
Arietta Slade
John Grienenberger
Alicia Lieberman
Daniel Schechter
Susan Coates

Six out of twelve people, half, appear that they might be Jewish from my brief research. (in bold type) It might be more.

David Wallin

On this site is found the following:

Quote:
Dr. David Wallin, psychoanalyst and author of Attachment in Psychotherapy, reflects on the profound impact his Jewish identity had on his personal and professional formation

Simon Baron-Cohen

Cohen is a common Jewish surname.

Quote:
Bearing the surname indicates that one's patrilineal ancestors were priests in the Temple of Jerusalem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohen_%28surname%29

Baron-Cohen is also a Jewish surname:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron-Cohen

Peter Fonagy

The following statement is found on the site linked to below the statement:

Quote:
Peter Fonagy, a Jewish psychoanalyst of University College in London

http://www.jcpa.org/phas/phas-30.htm

Arietta Slade

Don't know if she's a Jew, but she appears to have been psychology trainee at the Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services from 1977 to 1979 according to this:

http://storage.rockarch.org/e87a7dfe-6bf9-404c-b950-a57458bc4104-FCD001_105_00093.pdf

Alicia Lieberman

Lieberman, Jewish name

http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=lieberman

Daniel Schechter

Schechter, Jewish name

http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=schechter

So, that's at least half of the people in the wikipedia article on mentalization appearing to be Jews. Isn't that interesting? Why is it so?

As I said before, I thought the article, among other things, was interesting in relation to how it is said that Jew-status is inherited from the mother.

Quote:
Securely-attached individuals tend to have had a primary caregiver that has more complex and sophisticated mentalizing abilities.

Another interesting thing in that article is this:

Quote:
According to Peter Fonagy, individuals without proper attachment (e.g. due to physical, psychological or sexual abuse), can have greater difficulties in the development of mentalization-abilities

Two things come to mind, that may or may not have any relevance at all:

1)
Quote:
the Talmud (Mishnah Shabbat 19:2) mentions a third step, metzitzah, translated as suction, as one of the steps involved in the circumcision rite. The Talmud writes that a "Mohel (Circumciser) who does not suck, creates a danger and should be dismissed from practice".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brit_milah#Metzitzah

2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 4:04 pm

I decided to go on a date with that woman. I did not find her particularly attractive. I guess the event was kind of nice but I don't know if I found it all that exciting or nice. I really don't know if I want to meet her again or not. She seems to want to meet again. I'll have to think about it. And it really does seem like I don't have all that much interest in women anymore.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 4:17 pm

Why are you constantly having conversations with yourself if I may ask?

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 5:04 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
Why are you constantly having conversations with yourself if I may ask?

I write about things that interest me. Why it's very often the case that those things seem to interest nobody else, or why it's very often the case that nobody seems to care, that is something I'm wondering to. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I feel alone, not necessarily as in lonely, but as in "alone", atomized etc. That might however be something that is self-imposed to some degree, and not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes I wonder if my mind does this by itself and for itself, and for some purpose. Because whenever I happen to find myself in a situation where there is a sense of community or where I feel somewhat of a connection, it's like my mind automatically forces that away. I think it might be a good thing. By the way this very much reminds me of the concept of "dialectic" in Marxism, which I've been looking into lately. Fascinating.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 9:08 am

It seems like I got the guidance I was hoping for nature to supply me with. She called me weird and when I sent her a message after the date she rejected me. I see that as a blessing, the fact that I can't even attract semi-decent women. At this point I see right through the behavior of women, read them to an extent they can't read themselves. They are so simple-minded, and they are attracted to simple-minded conformist men. Which is good for men like me who have greater desires, because they'll weed themselves out until hopefully our desire for them have vanished altogether. Oh boy will that be a happy day.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 9:16 am

If I do go on a date again I'll definitely not pay for the woman.