Afraid of being alone forever?

Page 14 of 18 [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 5:20 pm

People with AS =/= like minded people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 6:00 pm

I hear you, Lazar.

I'm not talking about people's individual situations. Obviously, not knowing the person, I can't judge.

I'm talking in general, and from my experience. I could have easily turned out to be a total "give-up artist" (and sometimes I am a "give-up artist"--hence, my ability to offer advice on this).

In my experience, many people sell themselves short.

Hoggy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2015, 7:57 pm

I'm personally not afraid of being alone forever, its something that bothered me a lot in the past when i was seriously depressed but it was only one of a couple issues. It's only one part of my life, yes now that I'm 22 I'm seeing a lot of friends starting to get engaged or even have children but if i miss out on all that then its still ok. I can still travel the world, meet some great people, continue to improve playing the guitar etc

There's a great chance that i will find somebody eventually, there's been a couple people Ive liked who haven't felt the same. I've had a creepy stalker, a date that didn't go well ,and recently was planning to go on a date with a girl from work that never ended up happening. Eventually something good will come up at least that's what i think and if its doesn't then no bother.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 7:58 pm

Your approach is a cool approach I find, Hoggy.

hedone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2015, 2:06 am

Female aspie here. I'm in a similar situation: 19 and I have never dated anyone. I can honestly say that I would be open to dating anyone, but I'm too afraid of rejection to open up. For now, I'm focusing on school because it feels safer. I do want to meet someone, but I can't tell when someone likes me and I'm afraid of trying to initiate a relationship myself.

Anyway, join a club or do anything to meet people. That's the best advice I have. Find people who like the same things you do. They don't even have to be "like-minded", though it does help.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 4:21 am

goofygoobers wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
JP88 wrote:
I think it's inevitable that I will always be lonely. I'll have my buddies to remain sane but it's just hard to imagine ever having a girl in my life. Seriously even if I did at this point, I wouldn't know what to do and probably would screw up not long after.

^ What I even get concerned about is the needed time for a relationship to mature.

Even If I find someone right now, at this right moment, at age 33, I would need at least 2 to 3 months of dating and courting in order to know we're fully compatible, then additional 7 to 9 months of serious long term.

It has to pass at least one year and so in order to move to engagement/more-serious-level - and that alone would need like 1 or 2 years.

That if everything moved smoothly with no down, with no financial shock at some point, with no conflict with her family - at best, it would at least a total of 3 years just to become married/cohabited, I would be 36 at least by then.

The more delayed I start, the more delayed it will end up :-/

So yeah, I would understand why the OP would worry even if she's that young, she's 19 now, but time moves so fast, and she might herself late 20 or mid 30s in this same state in blink of eye.

Goofy, just some small tip/warnings to expect later in life:
- College is best phase to find a potential, seize this chance, even if you have study pressures, seize it. I did this mistaken by not even trying with anyone back then; most of my colleagues got married with people they met at the university, others from early years of workplace but not everyone would be lucky enough to be employed in populated large institutions.

- After college it becomes way harder to find like-minded people in the large world, especially if you're not the kind who can form a lot of lasting friendships easily (because friends help to introduce you to new people). Also, no matter how friendly and likable you are, friendships are in most cases temporary and "seasonal"- it's often no one's fault but friendships naturally drift apart due to life changes/circumstances, so don't bet much on that.
-As I said before, ask your irl female friends.

-I concur that you shouldn't rush, but you should not sit too still as well.

The problem is that I'm having a VERY hard time finding like-minded people in college. There aren't any groups for people with Asperger's Syndrome I can go to, and no one invites me to hang out with them. Even when I try to make friends or ask the people I know for advice, it's always the same answer. It makes me feel sad that there's no one in my area like me. Trust me, I've tried hard to connect with people even with the limited time I have.

You need to invite others, sometimes you need to be pro-active.

Look, things will become harder the older you get, after college, forming friendships will become even harder, all people would have already formed their social circles and it would be very hard to penetrate one if you don't have your own.

Think of social circles as ...circles on paper, there are often some intersections between some circles (mutual friends), this how people expand their socialization, if you are just a single point outside of all it would be very hard to socialize so you have to belong to at least a circle.

Antharis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2015, 5:23 am

I'll probably start tuning you out after this since it's becoming apparent that I'm wasting my time.

Gauldoth wrote:
If the prospect of dying alone and unloved sounds more appealing to you than settling for someone else other than Chad McAlphamale sounds appealing to you, then fine. Go ahead, I won't stop you. But not all of us have such unrealistic aspirations, and I for one, would like to be given the choice.

I'm not dying alone and unloved just because I realize I'm better off without a half-hearted animalistic arrangement for cohabitation. If anything such an arrangement would make me feel FAR more lonely and used. If I'm going to devote my life, my time and my mind to someone else I'd rather do it right, and for the right reasons.
The idea that not having a human blanky makes you unloved is really childish and short-sighted. What if you happen to be loved and don't love to the same degree in return? What if you happen to be loved, but you see every single sign that the relationship is going to damage you? I've rejected relationships on both counts.

The outlook and set of assumptions you seem to have are not just insulting to others, they're unserviceable to you.

Gauldoth wrote:

In other words, I'm not bitter and angry because I'm unsuccesful, I'm unsucessful because I'm bitter and angry, and I'm bitter and angry for... reasons. Man, you really love the sound of your own voice, don't you?

Also, your "advice" isn't just useless to me. It's useless, period.

The person that uses every single topic in this forum as an excuse to air his own ignorance and sheltered views about women (an image of a monkey flinging his own poo at walls comes to mind) is complaining that I just like to hear myself talk. I'm sorry, what would be modest enough for your tastes, a powerpoint presentation? Would bullet points be more your speed? I wasn't even bothering with advice, there's no point in giving advice to someone who seems to be quite taken with using his own rectum as a balaclava and acts like it's something revolutionary.

Not only are you someone that defaults to seeing women in childishly unrealistic terms, you insist on irrationality even when the flaws in your reasoning are outlined/spoonfed to you over and over. You don't seem to want to take any answer that doesn't line up with your biases or doesn't exclusively place the responsibility for your own decisions on others because accepting any answer that requires you to take responsibility for your own choices would require a fair deal of painful growth.
A nice, diplomatic way to call it is an outer locus of control.

You want women to willingly commit themselves to a relationship where they perceive they will be little more than tools, and seethe when faced with the fact no one on their right mind would accept those terms. It's a set of worldviews and a personality that are short sighted and completely out of touch with reality, not bitterness. You're letting your ego prevent you from growing up.

Gauldoth wrote:
But what would a career that gain me? Nevermind a fact that most careers today are an exercise in social skills, which I, like most REAL Aspies, completely lack. Even if that wasn't the case, what would I gain from making my career my main focus in life?

An Aspie that actually went through the ordeal of developing (invariably patchy, if serviceable) social skills won't magically become cured at all and it doesn't make them fake (Asperger's isn't some crappy tree-house club, and it's sad that you need to nitpick at other's achievements for comfort, btw). There are plenty of careers out there that don't place a premium on social skills, finding the best fit for you is something only you can do. You want easy/spoonfed, this isn't easy, nothing worthwhile ever is. It isn't impossible either though.

Aside from the inherent satisfaction of doing something that gives you fulfillment, a career makes for a more stable, straightforward anchor/axis for wellbeing than another human being does. Shifting your source of fulfillment to something that isn't a person makes your happiness independent from others. This in itself makes life substantially simpler and more satisfactory. (it follows then that you could do the exact same thing with a hobby rather than a career). All the time you waste ruminating on why others won't feel as you want them to could be used for something constructive and useful.

If you need me to tailor it to you any further than this, you're basically asking me to sell it to you, and things get too personal for such an exercise to be meaningful.

BTW, it seems you just completely disregarded what I said before or you wouldn't be asking this.

Gauldoth wrote:
Again, I can sort of understand why you would think that, since the main goal in life for most women is to acquire social status, and careers can give you that to some extent. But to me and most men, social status is utterly worthless in and of itself. It's just a currency we use to trade for the things we actually want. To put things in perspective; social status is to men what sex is to women. And if I can't trade in my social status for something I actually want, then it is utterly and completely worthless to me.

Whenever did I ever, ever mention social status? The fact you're bringing this up suggests you're too focused on how your actions can be used to manipulate others, rather than what it means to you as an individual.
And sex is just as meaningful to women as it is to men, what we don't really care for is the all-too-common view that our lives should revolve around being masturbation aids to men (we have to question every single time sex comes up whether we're seen as people or as tools/prey by our partner). We're already expected to dumb ourselves down enough as it is, enough is enough.

Gauldoth wrote:
For the record, I find women's social games and ploys to gain status equally disgusting and repulsive. But you don't seem rubbing it in your faces, do you? But since you asked, no, I actually think the pursuit of sex and earthly pleasures is much more noble and worthwhile than your pursuit for meaningless, ephemeral, metaphysical social status bs. So there you have it. :roll:

You seem pretty focused on finding some kind of formula/pattern to manipulate women for sex, so you're every bit as conniving as you say women are and grossly hypocritical ontop of that (all too common and always repugnant). Men and women are every bit as manipulating as one another, they just take different routes.

BTW your so called "noble pursuit of sex and earthly pursuits" comes across more as holding yourself and others to feral/subhuman standards and dismissing anything beyond that level as too lofty. It's a dime-a-dozen, conformist mentality that drains the colour out of living entirely. To echo your own sentiment: I wouldn't expect this sort of intellectual mediocrity out of a "TRUE" aspie. e_e

You don't really need another human being for what you are after, a toy will do. Things like thoughts, personalities and individual identities just seem to be obstacles/noise to you, so toys may suit you better actually.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:22 am

Quote:
(an image of a monkey flinging his own poo at walls comes to mind)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:39 am

goofygoobers wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
[MODERATOR]

Just a reminder, this forum doesn't exist as a place to lash-out at the opposite sex.

If this thread continues to devolve into nastiness, it will be locked.

[/MODERATOR]

Thanks for in information. I made this thread to get advice, not to cause people to bicker. :(

It got worse, they are bickering AND flinging poop now. :lol:

Gauldoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2015, 8:02 am

Antharis wrote:
I'm not dying alone and unloved just because I realize I'm better off without a half-hearted animalistic arrangement for cohabitation. If anything such an arrangement would make me feel FAR more lonely and used. If I'm going to devote my life, my time and my mind to someone else I'd rather do it right, and for the right reasons.
The idea that not having a human blanky makes you unloved is really childish and short-sighted. What if you happen to be loved and don't love to the same degree in return? What if you happen to be loved, but you see every single sign that the relationship is going to damage you? I've rejected relationships on both counts.

The outlook and set of assumptions you seem to have are not just insulting to others, they're unserviceable to you.

Again, I don't know how this supposedly refutes my point. If you'd rather be alone for the rest days rather than settling down for someone else other than the perfect guy, that's YOUR choice. Not all of us feel that way though.

Also, I can forgive you not being useful to me, what I can't forgive is you subjecting me to your verbal diarrhea masquerading as advice. Again, if you love the sound of your own voice so much, go talk to the walls and spare me.

Antharis wrote:
The person that uses every single topic in this forum as an excuse to air his own ignorance and sheltered views about women (an image of a monkey flinging his own poo at walls comes to mind) is complaining that I just like to hear myself talk. I'm sorry, what would be modest enough for your tastes, a powerpoint presentation? Would bullet points be more your speed? I wasn't even bothering with advice, there's no point in giving advice to someone who seems to be quite taken with using his own rectum as a balaclava and acts like it's something revolutionary.

Not only are you someone that defaults to seeing women in childishly unrealistic terms, you insist on irrationality even when the flaws in your reasoning are outlined/spoonfed to you over and over. You don't seem to want to take any answer that doesn't line up with your biases or doesn't exclusively place the responsibility for your own decisions on others because accepting any answer that requires you to take responsibility for your own choices would require a fair deal of painful growth.
A nice, diplomatic way to call it is an outer locus of control.

You want women to willingly commit themselves to a relationship where they perceive they will be little more than tools, and seethe when faced with the fact no one on their right mind would accept those terms. It's a set of worldviews and a personality that are short sighted and completely out of touch with reality, not bitterness. You're letting your ego prevent you from growing up.

Nothing here for me to reply to, it's just strawman and mindless drivel.

Antharis wrote:
An Aspie that actually went through the ordeal of developing (invariably patchy, if serviceable) social skills won't magically become cured at all and it doesn't make them fake (Asperger's isn't some crappy tree-house club, and it's sad that you need to nitpick at other's achievements for comfort, btw). There are plenty of careers out there that don't place a premium on social skills, finding the best fit for you is something only you can do. You want easy/spoonfed, this isn't easy, nothing worthwhile ever is. It isn't impossible either though.

Aside from the inherent satisfaction of doing something that gives you fulfillment, a career makes for a more stable, straightforward anchor/axis for wellbeing than another human being does. Shifting your source of fulfillment to something that isn't a person makes your happiness independent from others. This in itself makes life substantially simpler and more satisfactory. (it follows then that you could do the exact same thing with a hobby rather than a career). All the time you waste ruminating on why others won't feel as you want them to could be used for something constructive and useful.

If you need me to tailor it to you any further than this, you're basically asking me to sell it to you, and things get too personal for such an exercise to be meaningful.

BTW, it seems you just completely disregarded what I said before or you wouldn't be asking this.

More useless drivel and strawman, here though, there are a few things I feel I must correct.

First, "invariably patchy, if serviceable" social skills may be enough for a woman, because society is more lenient towards them and doesn't really demand much of them in that way (or any way, for that matter). So long as you're not complete c***s, you'll be fine. Not so with us, being passable isn't good enough if you're a man, you're expected to excel.

Second, people want what they want, and I DON'T want a career. Again, I can sort of understand why focusing on career could be seen as a recourse for you as a woman; if you failed to acquire social status (your main pursuit in life) through the traditional way, i.e. marrying a high-status male, you could try turning to your career and gain status. But I DON'T CARE ABOUT SOCIAL STATUS (remember, for men, status is worthless in and of itself, we just use it to trade for the things we want), and I don't even like working. What the f**k does a career have to offer me?

Antharis wrote:
Whenever did I ever, ever mention social status? The fact you're bringing this up suggests you're too focused on how your actions can be used to manipulate others, rather than what it means to you as an individual.
And sex is just as meaningful to women as it is to men, what we don't really care for is the all-too-common view that our lives should revolve around being masturbation aids to men (we have to question every single time sex comes up whether we're seen as people or as tools/prey by our partner). We're already expected to dumb ourselves down enough as it is, enough is enough.

Blah, blah, blah, more strawman. Tell me, does painting me as an evil, would-be manipulator of women make it easier for you to disregard the obvious truths I mentioned? :roll:

Antharis wrote:
You seem pretty focused on finding some kind of formula/pattern to manipulate women for sex, so you're every bit as conniving as you say women are and grossly hypocritical ontop of that (all too common and always repugnant). Men and women are every bit as manipulating as one another, they just take different routes.

BTW your so called "noble pursuit of sex and earthly pursuits" comes across more as holding yourself and others to feral/subhuman standards and dismissing anything beyond that level as too lofty. It's a dime-a-dozen, conformist mentality that drains the colour out of living entirely. To echo your own sentiment: I wouldn't expect this sort of intellectual mediocrity out of a "TRUE" aspie. e_e

You don't really need another human being for what you are after, a toy will do. Things like thoughts, personalities and individual identities just seem to be obstacles/noise to you, so toys may suit you better actually.

More strawman.

Also, is this the part where I'm supposed to pretend I'm somehow above animalistic desires and urges, even though human beings are animals themselves? Well, I'm not. So now what?

Also, don't think that just because you women don't like sex, you're somehow above us. Again, I find your mental games and ploys for meaningless social status equally sickening and disgusting. If you think that's above the pursuit of simple, and REAL, earthly pleasures, then you're the one who's sick in the head.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 8:23 am

But women DO like sex. Sometimes, they want it more than the "average" man.

Gauldoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2015, 8:31 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
But women DO like sex. Sometimes, they want it more than the "average" man.

I'll believe it when I see it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 8:36 am

I've seen it, and I know it.

I was once practically raped by a woman--and it wasn't because of my virtue, nor my looks. I was just THERE.

Gauldoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2015, 8:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've seen it, and I know it.

I was once practically raped by a woman--and it wasn't because of my virtue, nor my looks. I was just THERE.

Good for you. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 8:54 am

Like it said...I had nothing to do with it. It wasn't because of my desirability. I was just there "at the right time." We didn't last long.

Gauldoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2015, 9:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Like it said...I had nothing to do with it. It wasn't because of my desirability. I was just there "at the right time." We didn't last long.

Whatever, man. :roll: