Asperger's dating statistics

Page 8 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 9:13 am

RetroGamer87,

Thanks for calling me out on that. I haven't been a very good example of gratitude, have I? It is rather silly to be upset about what you didn't have in the past instead of enjoying what do you do have in the present. I do seem to get what most NTs have, just years later in life. There can be benefits to that. My memories of age 32 involve my wedding. Many people's memories of age 32 involve their divorce-definitely something I wouldn't want to go through. At least I don't have any bad break up memories, and still holding major hatred and resentment towards an ex.

My point is there that is hope for everyone on this forum, maybe just not at the time we would like for it to happen (I am not a patient person). If someone told me when I was in my mid 20s that I would have the life I have today, I would have absolutely not believed them.

sepikmari
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2015, 10:20 pm

Please don't go by statistics. We may all be Aspies, but we're still all individuals.
Having said that, I am 60 and still single.
Maybe that's because I want a long-term, part-time, monogamous relationship.
Most people don't get that need for space.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 5:20 am

But if you're just a typical aspie then it's silly to expect your dating life to be anything other than what typical aspie dating life is. Numbers aren't always right, but unlike people they won't lie to make you feel better.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 11:09 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
ProfessorJohn wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
I finally do get a girlfriend, and I'm out there in public holding hands with her, or traveling with her, doing some activity with her, and I then see couples out there younger than me, it will be a painful reminder of what I missed out on earlier, my lost youth

I have tried to do the "ignore what I have and focus on what I missed out on deal" and it will drive you crazy. Just getting over that now myself. If/when do you get a girlfriend, focus on how great it is to have one. Yeah, it sucks that you/me/probably lots of other Aspies missed out on that stuff earlier in life, but it is better to have one later in life than not at all.
I'm glad to hear your recovering, partly for your sake but most of all for my own sake. After reading your earlier posts I was terrified that I would end up as a married 48 year old man who was mad that I didn't have any relationships as a teenager when so much of our culture is based on the idea that that's when you have your first relationship.

When I heard you say stuff like that, it made me think of how I think. Even when I'm in a relationship I feel mad when I see teenagers or 20 year olds who are together or when I hear people tell stories about it (present tense or past tense) or read about it (everywhere on the web) or see it on TV (every channel). I know it happens all the time in real life, not just TV and it makes me mad.

So I'm glad that you can get over regretting the past because it makes me think maybe I can. I think I would just be too hard on myself if I was feeling sorry formyself even while in a relationship. If I spent too much time feeling bad about something that isn't even happening at the time.

And maybe I shouldn't judge myself by NT standards. As for aspies, only 2 out of 16 aspie guys under 30 I know in meatspace are currently in a relationship. Only 5 of 16 have ever had one. Two thirds of the aspie girls I know in meatspace are in a relationship. If I count all ages, 5 out of 19 aspie guys I know are in a relationship and 9 out of 19 have had one. All of the middle aged aspie guys that I know are married (though unfortunately for me they married quite young and one of the under 30s I mentioned is 23, been married since he was 19).

Maybe by those standards it really is normal for aspie guys to not have a relationship during youth. I know as a teenager there were girls who liked me. If I had just handled things a little bit differently I could have made good. I think if I knew then what I know now, I could have succeeded with my then current abilities. But then I remember I didn't know then what I know now and I shouldn't project my current mindset onto my teenaged self. I had different ways of thinking then. Maybe there's a reason why it takes most aspie guys a third of their lives to figure out how to turn the near misses into hits.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about how old I was or who did what at what age because if I worry about that too much, I start to become like the lady from Keeping Up Appearances. More concerned about how my image looks than important stuff. Worried about people judging me for things they probably don't even care about but in my paranoid mind they do. Even if people knew about my past (they don't), even if people cared about my past (they might not worry even if they knew), even though a few small minded people have chastised me for being too old to not have had a relationship (made me mad when they were 5 years younger than me and they had their first 5 years before that)... even when my paranoia turns out to be right and people really are judging me harshly, I should think of Keeping up Apparances and remember I shouldn't fall into the same thinking patterns as Hyacinth.

Anyway, even though I have a very small sample size, I hope I provided you with some actual aspie dating statistics. Not the sample size only includes aspies I know in meatspace and does not count myself.

Ya it seems from what I've observed from posts on many different forums online, whenever you hear of a person who is over the age of 25 and never been in a relationship before, still a virgin, its almost always guys instead of girls.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 1:16 am

WantToHaveALife wrote:
Ya it seems from what I've observed from posts on many different forums online, whenever you hear of a person who is over the age of 25 and never been in a relationship before, still a virgin, its almost always guys instead of girls.
Yes, I've also read that many times on different websites. Even though it's unfortunate that this should happen too so many, it made me feel less like a freak to read that many have shared my experience. I no longer thought that I was the only one to have gone through that experience.

Even though at times it seems our culture is based on the idea othat everyone should pair up in their late teens, the thing to remember is that culture is based on ideals, not reality. Some pair up young but not everyone has too.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 7:16 am

ProfessorJohn wrote:
My memories of age 32 involve my wedding. Many people's memories of age 32 involve their divorce-definitely something I wouldn't want to go through. At least I don't have any bad break up memories, and still holding major hatred and resentment towards an ex.

My point is there that is hope for everyone on this forum, maybe just not at the time we would like for it to happen (I am not a patient person). If someone told me when I was in my mid 20s that I would have the life I have today, I would have absolutely not believed them.

I don't need to repeat that I went from zero experience to sleeping with 4 (and kissing 7) in two years and now have an engagement ring picked up so there is hope for the woefully inexperienced.

I will however mention that many people I know my age (my brother included) are either getting divorced or at least heading towards splitsville. I might have been a late bloomer but I will end up in the best situation in the end.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 8:27 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
Yes, I've also read that many times on different websites. Even though it's unfortunate that this should happen too so many, it made me feel less like a freak to read that many have shared my experience. I no longer thought that I was the only one to have gone through that experience.

Even though at times it seems our culture is based on the idea othat everyone should pair up in their late teens, the thing to remember is that culture is based on ideals, not reality. Some pair up young but not everyone has too.

And people will argue against that by saying for every girl that has a boyfriend, a guy has a girlfriend, yes that's true but you have to take into account that in most cases, the guy is older than the girl, and back to what I said before, maybe women are less vocal about it than men are, maybe there are more female late bloomers in dating and relationships than we think there are, Susan Boyle was an example

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 8:39 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
ProfessorJohn wrote:
My memories of age 32 involve my wedding. Many people's memories of age 32 involve their divorce-definitely something I wouldn't want to go through. At least I don't have any bad break up memories, and still holding major hatred and resentment towards an ex.

I don't need to repeat that I went from zero experience to sleeping with 4 (and kissing 7) in two years and now have an engagement ring picked up so there is hope for the woefully inexperienced.

I will however mention that many people I know my age (my brother included) are either getting divorced or at least heading towards splitsville. I might have been a late bloomer but I will end up in the best situation in the end.
So... what happened two years ago to improve your prospects?

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 9:01 am

I think some sort of maturation process might take place. For some reason Asperger's just delays that. We finally get to the point that most people get to when they are 18-20. For me it happened around age 28. Maybe I will stay looking 10 years less than my true age, that would be nice!

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 9:59 am

Sometimes I worry and stress I won't get my first girlfriend until my 30's, I'm 27 now, I don't care if people say you have plenty of time, there's no rush, I've waited impatiently blong enough, even though guys have full societal approval to not be waiting since we are expected to be the assertive ones, the times I have been assertive I had no luck so in a way I am still sort of waiting until a woman finally says Yes

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 5:56 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
I think some sort of maturation process might take place. For some reason Asperger's just delays that. We finally get to the point that most people get to when they are 18-20. For me it happened around age 28. Maybe I will stay looking 10 years less than my true age, that would be nice!
Yeah. I went through a maturation process. I was happy and immature and 25. Then I realised I was immature. Two years of depression and self-loathing. After two years I was a bit more mature.

I know I shouldn't compare myself to other people but after two years I can't help myself. I'm now sitting on the train, eavesdropping on a 21 year old boasting about his travels and accomplishments. 21, he rents his own house, last year he lived in Dampier for six months. Soon he's going to Spain.

I moved out of home when I was 25. If I live to be a hundred I don't think I could just pack up and live in a small, isolated town like that.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 4:05 am

^^ maybe I'm still not so mature if I envy people like that. Today I spoke to a young man who said he was going through depression and self-loathing but the things he was embarrassed about were things I thought weren't even that bad. There's a lesson for me. When I feel terrible because I assume people are judging me over something, they might not even think that thing is a big deal.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 7:17 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
So... what happened two years ago to improve your prospects?

It became my special interest. Seriously. I had a LOT to learn and stumbled a lot (and learned how much of a late bloomer I was) but it looked like I finally succeeded. I also realized that love isn't logical and that it's almost magical how once I raised my own self-worth my prospects got better and better. Just like running, what seemed impossible a few years ago is now laughably easy.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 8:05 am

What was the best thing you learned?

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:21 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
What was the best thing you learned?

It's hard to focus on one thing but if I had to pick one, it's to never settle for anyone especially when your instincts tell you to watch out. It's important to keep an open mind but NEVER ignore your instincts! Any decision that based on fear (like of being alone, unloved, etc) is also likely to lead to a negative outcome and will only attract women who will make your life a living hell. I should know and that's why I continued to post in your threads as you are walking the same dangerous path.

I should point out at the same time not only did my GF NOT meet my age requirements (she was a "flex" match on eHarmony) I actually didn't respond at first because I saw no common interests. How wrong I was!

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:54 am

the longest I've gone without masturbating is 10 days, I want to see if I can go over 2-weeks.