Does having a Ferrari attract women?

Page 5 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 8:51 pm

I would have to go with a woman not caring what car you drive and caring more about you as a person.

I can't say my car Rosalind has been a 'wingman' with having women be interested in me, but that was THE LAST thing on my mind when I got her. I wanted a car that was unique, out of the ordinary, something that you don't see that many of (to match my Aspie self :wink: ), something that I could take to a car show but still be dependable enough to use everyday and something that was in my price range. I found everything that I was looking for (with the exception of a lack of new and reproduction parts) in my 1986 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon. I love driving her, there is something I find so relaxing and therapeutic getting behind the wheel of a car that not many people have or even know about nowadays and knowing shes mine. :D While I may not pick up women left and right, I have gotten everything from thumbs ups to honks of approval to people actually talking about how they had one or knew someone who had one or how 'they haven't seen one of those in years' when I am out and about. You can't get that kind of reaction with a Common Camry.
Here is a more recent picture of her just after the last snowstorm we had. AMC Eagles are great cars in the snow, and that is why so many of them are gone now unfortunately.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 2:17 am

OliveOilMom wrote:

I don't like nitro, and I don't think you could do a quarter in the low 9's with a 4 banger without it. Well, if you put $80 grand into one you might could, but that goes way past pro stock.

I prefer the old school motors. I don't like computer s**t on there and I don't like fuel injection either. I really don't see how it's possible to build a 4cyl with a carb to run that bottom end speed in the original body, without nitrous either. If it's possible to build that kind of pro stock 4 cyl, please tell me how.

I don't mind the gas if the car is what I want. Also, I have no clue how to work on anything that was built after about 1980. If I get a piece car, I want to be able to work on it myself, at home, with regular tools. Not that I'll ever get a car like that again, but you never know.

A big turbo, cold air intake, hybrid block, exhaust & a good ECU tune. That's excluding a whole lot of computational fluid dynamics based mods that people have come up with over the years. HEX isn't such a hard thing to edit with enough practice & long-term memory of HS algebra. OBD 1 OR II, people have built some amazing stuff to take advantage of factory parameters. Just look at Saab. I know you think they're BS but most of their blocks up to model year 2000 are from Ford or Truiumph.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Last edited by cberg on 06 Feb 2015, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 2:23 am

cberg wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

I don't like nitro, and I don't think you could do a quarter in the low 9's with a 4 banger without it. Well, if you put $80 grand into one you might could, but that goes way past pro stock.

I prefer the old school motors. I don't like computer s**t on there and I don't like fuel injection either. I really don't see how it's possible to build a 4cyl with a carb to run that bottom end speed in the original body, without nitrous either. If it's possible to build that kind of pro stock 4 cyl, please tell me how.

I don't mind the gas if the car is what I want. Also, I have no clue how to work on anything that was built after about 1980. If I get a piece car, I want to be able to work on it myself, at home, with regular tools. Not that I'll ever get a car like that again, but you never know.

A big turbo, cold air intake, hybrid block, exhaust & a good ECU tune. That's excluding a whole lot of computational fluid dynamics based mods that people have come up with over the years. HEX isn't such a hard thing to edit with enough practice & long-term memory of HS algebra. OBD 1 OR II, people have built some amazing stuff to take advantage of factory parameters. Just look at Saab. I know you think they're BS but most of their blocks up to 2000 are from Ford or Truiumph.

But I don't want that!! ::whine:: lol! I don't want to have to use algebra, which I cannot do and don't care to learn, to work on my car. If I can't buy what I need from Sears, and if I have to use any kind of power source for anything other than an air wrench, I don't want to work on it. I actually want my old car back. I can't have it though.

I just like old school cars. Now, if you want to be like some folks on another thread, you can call me ageist too and I can be ageist about how old the car is ;-)

ETA; I suppose the difference is that the old ones seem to me to be about raw power, the newer ones seem to be about digitally manipulated power. The lope of a Detroit V8 coming out of some glasspacks is a lot more soul stirring to me than the whine of a rice boy car. I respect the rice boy technology and what the cars can do, but it's so not my thing.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 2:33 am

I work in geo-spatial imaging all day lately so I suppose non-EFI stuff is kind of hard for me to visulize, although I do understand it pretty well. I need modern fuel efficiency too much to bother with anything carburated. For me since I own a Haldex AWD car sooner or later it's also about the digitally manipulated front-to-rear differential split, kind of like fancy off-roaders, although head design and exhaust restriction are probably still essentials.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 3:20 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
If I ever get a car, I want it to be something like a cheap early-90s Japanese econobox that's good on fuel, preferably one I can easily fix myself. If I just need something to get me from point A to point B, why would I need anything more than that?

Now of course, if I ever move to a city, I may consider investing in a good bicycle instead. I'll save money on fuel, get some exercise, AND I won't have to go for my license. The only real obstacle is that I'll have to find one that can handle winter conditions, or at least be converted to do so.

Subaru ej22 Legacy L with a five speed manual. If you don't know how to drive a manual you can learn on one in five minutes, it gets 30+ miles per gallon, 4WD or AWD so you can go off roading and the wagon will carry anything you ever need to. They run past 400 thousand miles easily. All this plus robo seatbelts.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 3:40 am

I've had enough experience with pro stock to know not to even get one of them and fool with it if fuel effeciency was something that I'd have to worry about. Lack of it pretty much defines them. But I could afford it at the time, and it was sure worth it! ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 3:44 am

We need to have an EFI/DI vs Edelbrock battle sometime. Too bad it means a 300+ mile drive :(...

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 2:13 pm

I would love to have one of these mustangs hehe!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 4:00 pm

I would take both! :)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 3:14 am

cberg wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
If I ever get a car, I want it to be something like a cheap early-90s Japanese econobox that's good on fuel, preferably one I can easily fix myself. If I just need something to get me from point A to point B, why would I need anything more than that?

Now of course, if I ever move to a city, I may consider investing in a good bicycle instead. I'll save money on fuel, get some exercise, AND I won't have to go for my license. The only real obstacle is that I'll have to find one that can handle winter conditions, or at least be converted to do so.

Subaru ej22 Legacy L with a five speed manual. If you don't know how to drive a manual you can learn on one in five minutes, it gets 30+ miles per gallon, 4WD or AWD so you can go off roading and the wagon will carry anything you ever need to. They run past 400 thousand miles easily. All this plus robo seatbelts.

I googled it and got results for an engine, not a whole vehicle. :? What models would I be looking for?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 1:12 pm

The first two generations of Legacy, first generation of Impreza and the 1996-98 Outback all share that motor. The older Legacy L is probably the second or third toughest car ever made, and I say go for a manual one so you needn't worry very much about transmission fluid and because they're some of the easiest cars to learn on; possessing truck-like amounts of torque so beginners stall at most four or five times before getting the hang of a five speed.

Also, my cousin is from Wyoming and he fully endorses Nokian Hakkapeliitta bicycle tires for snow. Honorable mention as well to the Kenda Small Blocks on my dirt jump rig.

Lilya
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 2:55 pm

I have a good friend in Monaco who has a very flashy Ferrari. I wouldn't say a beautiful car and stylish clothes are a turn off, but it doesn't give any additional advantage either, I've witnessed.