Are relationships always this complicated?

Page 18 of 18 [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 3:01 pm

Beau wrote:
it seems like his future relationships are bound to fail or at least be extremely complicated.
We'll before I wasn't getting into any relationships. I hope that means I'm getting better
Beau wrote:
His rash decision to move on to the next girl without changing his attitude/behavior is a recipe for disaster.
We'll what would you suggest as an alternative? Is there some arbitrary waiting period? Perhaps six months for example? I can't afford to waste that much time. I've already waisted far to much of my life being unemployed and uneducated and alone? I'm not getting any younger.

It's 6:24 AM and I've been up all night not fishing with my family. As I sit here on a cold and windswept jetty, typing into my Blackberry, I see my sixteen year old half brother snuggled tightly to each other under a blanket with his girlfriend. Who can blame then? It's biting cold on this pier and they readily feel the cold since they're both quite thin

I had my first girlfriend when I was 27 and I feel like I'm a developmentmentally ret*d freak. I don't want to make the problem even worse by waiting 'till I turn 28.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 7:06 pm

RetroGamer87-

I'm a bit exhausted, so I'm going to keep this brief. There is no timetable to when you should jump into your next relationship. However, it's recommended that you take some time to reflect on your previous relationship and figure out how you can be a better person and boyfriend for your next girlfriend. Without putting in the time and effort to change your previous attitudes/behaviors, then you will most likely encounter similar issues as before. You have 15+ pages of advice that's still applicable even though you're no longer with her. Take the time to contemplate and process what others have written for you.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 7:17 pm

atleast you had a gf. you should work on some of your issues though.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm

Beau wrote:
RetroGamer87-

I'm a bit exhausted, so I'm going to keep this brief. There is no timetable to when you should jump into your next relationship. However, it's recommended that you take some time to reflect on your previous relationship and figure out how you can be a better person and boyfriend for your next girlfriend. Without putting in the time and effort to change your previous attitudes/behaviors, then you will most likely encounter similar issues as before. You have 15+ pages of advice that's still applicable even though you're no longer with her. Take the time to contemplate and process what others have written for you.
Now I see where you're coming from. I'll tell you a story of something that happened to me a few weeks ago. I was training in my newly acquired job and they explained what to do in great detail. It all went over my head because they were explaining a practical process in a theoretical way. Then I started performing the tasks they'd been talking about and I picked it up.

So do I have issues? Yes. Do I need to improve? Yes. It's just that it's so much easier to learn new skills the practical way. And don't think I don't reflect. My journal has over a million words of introspection and other repetitive wangst. A few of my problems are probably caused by reflecting too much. Over-reflection can lead to negative thought patterns. See my previous post for an example.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 8:57 pm

I knew that this ending was inevitable sooner or later but I didn't know how it would come about. I'm just glad we were able to end it amicably (not the ending I expected). She was actually sad it was ending but it had to be. She missed Sydney too much. In Adelaide she was without friends. She was reluctant to meet my friends.

Maybe if I'd let her move in instead of telling her my family hated her and had forbidden her to move (an exaggeration). Maybe I hadn't conveniently forgotten to serve her dinner and breakfast the last time she stayed overnight. I think she probably worked out what I was trying to do.

Maybe it's for the best. I enjoyed being around and she liked me too but we were just too different. It couldn't last. There must be a girl better suited for me out there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 9:01 pm

You should have served her food. That's the proper thing to do.

Anyway....it's over. Now, on to the next girl!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm

OK, even though I didn't eat in front of her, I'll admit that wasn't a nice thing to do. The next time I have a girl over I won't attempt to starve her thin.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 5:49 am

sly279 wrote:
Hey yeah. Now I know what I've gained from this misadventure, an ex!

Never again will a girl reject me because I haven't already had a girlfriend.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 7:48 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:

No, now you will just be rejected for having a warped sense of relationships. Most of the crazy women I met aren't virgins or inexperienced.....

I confessed my relative inexperience to my GF and you know what she said? "I guess that makes two of us" and further stated if I slept with a large number of girls she would probably not be interested in me.

Quote:
And she's scared of my family. She's scared of my mother, though they haven't met. She's scared of my friends. This one time one of my friends came 'round and she just didn't say very much. Now he's the nicest guy you could ever hope to meet. I don't know why she'd be scared of him.

Should that not be a warning something was SERIOUSLY wrong with her? I know my ex hated my parents and friends because she wanted to isolate me from them.... and I allowed her to. You just had a bullet narrowly miss you and don't seem to realize it.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 9:23 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Most of the crazy women I met aren't virgins or inexperienced.....
Huh? I didn't say they were. Neither was ex. What's your point?
GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Should that not be a warning something was SERIOUSLY wrong with her? I know my ex hated my parents and friends because she wanted to isolate me from them.... and I allowed her to. You just had a bullet narrowly miss you and don't seem to realize it.
Narrowly? I acted like a big jerk. There was zero chance she wasn't going to leave me. There wasn't anything narrow about it.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Hey yeah. Now I know what I've gained from this misadventure, an ex!

meh Vo.oV

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

Perhaps you can begin the process of being better prepared for future relationships by remembering to NOT describe someone you are interested in by how their body compares to that of the last GF. What a demeaning description you gave of the woman you claim to perhaps be interested in. A simple, "I personally find her more attractive, and I think we might have more in common," will do. Women aren't sofas that you need to check the stuffing, seams and construction style on, for heaven's sake!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 12:09 am

Yeah, I should stop fat shaming. Some fat girls are reallt fit. I was put off by ex because she moved like a sloth and sometimes she didn't seem to be very bright.

Not all fat people are unfit. Take for example the girl at work. Even rhough she's fat she's very fit. She could probably run further than I can.

She goes to ice hockey practice every weeknight and she has more muscle mass than the average man. This makes her more attractive because she's strong and healthy, not weak and sickly.