When guy mentions his girlfriend or wife in the conversation

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Barnes66
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2015, 2:30 pm

I noticed that some guys will mention their girlfriend or wife when you start talking to them and some wont unless they directly asked.I wonder if they think i want them or something.Sometimes its relevant in the conversation but sometimes its not.

One time at work this older man asked me if my hood of my car is open and i said yes it won't close.It needs to be fixed.Then he told me that he will try to put some greese on it sometime during his shift to see if it will close.I said sure and thanked him.Then i asked if he knows how to open it then he says he does.Then he mentioned that he fixed his wifes brothers car.Maybe in this case it was relevant

another inicident was when i took my car to the shop to get something fixed not too long ago.Then when it was time to pay at the front ,i dropped my debit card on the floor and the guy at the cash said sorry thinking it was him and i said oh no its okay i drop things all the time.I then said ``my friends told me that i have butter hands.Then he said he is the same way and he mentioned the fact that his wife only lets him keep the old stuff because he is clumsly.

On the other hand,my crush never mentioned his girlfriend in front of me.I even asked him if he ever goes out in spare time and he just said he does to pub sometime.He never mentioned the girlfriend in the conversation.I found out through someone else he told.He doesn't know that i know.

So do guys who bring up their SO immidetely in the conversation think you are flirting or want them? I didn't give that impression at all and I thought I was making a small talk

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 2:32 pm

Ah guys are starting to do that too? Good.

genesis529
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2015, 4:47 pm

I would assume it's their way of saying "Look at me, I have a girlfriend/wife!" in an effort to taunt the other person.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 5:24 pm

Naaah I don't think they're trying to tell you anything. I don't think they think you're flirting. They're simply making small talk and being friendly.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 3:50 am

Sometimes, this is just a coincidence, with the guy explaining how he knows 'person X'

However, they can also do this for the same reason as women do this: make clear they are not available, when/if they think they see flirting signals

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 12:17 pm

To quote Freud: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

In other words: don't try to read much into it.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 1:38 am

Maybe, maybe not.

People aren't usually shy about mentioning the family members they spend so much time around in my experience, whether it's a son or a wife. You could assume people mention a son because they want to pair you off with him, but inspecting it from that angle shows how much of a stretch these things are...