No, only since 1960's (breakdown of traditional values). 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
No, only since 1990's (rise of the internet/cell phones). 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
No, only since some other time period. 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 31

doibelonghere
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2015, 8:40 am

Why is there no option for "disagree" in the poll?

If being nice is your prime factor, then you would be a sh***y boyfriend. Easy as that. Nice guys don't finish last, it's just that guys who usually describe themselves as such are boring.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:44 am

I'm nice....and I ain't boring!! !! !

I'm a Wolfman.....and I am a Court Jester...and I'm a nice guy!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:53 am

Richard Cole wrote:
... I made sure that every so often I would create some kind of conflict that was nothing serious, but enough to elicit a heightened emotional state that was out of the ordinary, i.e. novelty. ... Had I not shown up late once in a while, bailed out on some banal events here and there, shown up smelling like liquor when I shouldn't have once in a while, we probably wouldn't have lasted three years.
It seems that some women don't know what to do with the 'perfect' man - there is nothing about him that they need to change!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:02 am

Don't mess with a guy's "niceness."

If you do that...I'll mess with you!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:07 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Don't mess with a guy's "niceness."

If you do that...I'll mess with you!

I am messing with your niceness.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:09 am

Nice guys finish last?! Gosh dangit.

Last edited by darkphantomx1 on 25 Mar 2015, 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:22 am

That's just one chick out of 3.5 billion!

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:25 am

Not just any chick. Thats LizzieAnswers. The self-proclaimed "love-guru". Not to mention she has 142k subs on Youtube.

doibelonghere
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2015, 9:55 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm nice....and I ain't boring!! ! ! !

I'm a Wolfman.....and I am a Court Jester...and I'm a nice guy!

I know you made this post as a joke, but come on, at least have some real discussion here. Why should a woman date you? Give some real reasons.

As for that video of that girl saying "nice guys finish last", I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. Most of us are not trying to date Youtube celebrities, and their advice should be taken with a lot of salt.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 10:24 am

Lizzie who?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 12:00 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
"Good girls" are rarely, if ever, social pariahs, because there is no alpha/beta/omega divide among women that there is among men. Women have a more-or-less equal chance of finding a man; it may not be the alpha male she desires by evolution, but she has a chance nonetheless.

You are just so off on many levels, but this definitely caught my eye.

I was always the "nice" girl. People kept telling me that, "you are too nice." And you know what that meant in High School? I was never invited to anything, and not asked out on dates by a single guy in my school. I assumed I must be unattractive, but I've had enough feedback over the years since to know that was not the case.

What was the truth? In my twenties I became close friends with a guy who had been an extremely popular jock in our high school. To start off with, I was sure he had had no idea who I was when we met in our twenties, since we had never interacted in school, and he was older. He told me right off that absolutely he knew who I was, which shocked me. Not just who I was, but things about me. He had respect for me; he was excited to be able to become friends at this point in our lives. One day when I noted how disappointed I was back in high school that I had never been asked to a single dance, you know what he told me? It was because I was too nice. Everyone knew I was a "good" girl. They were busy engaging in risky behaviors (by the time we became friends the guy was recovering from years of addiction) and figured that wasn't me. Geez, it would have helped if someone had just told me that instead of allowing my self-esteem to sink. But no one did, and in the moment I reached many wrong conclusions (pretty much like I see you doing now).

One guy I started dating simply stopped having interest when he met someone on a business trip who he described to me as a "firecracker." And he told me about it, all about her, thinking that was OK, since "obviously" I didn't want what he wanted in a relationship because I was so "nice."

So you really think it never makes a difference for a woman?

What it comes down to is this: nice usually seeks nice. Not because of lack of choice, but because, what a shock, you are actually more likely to share values and want the same things in life. Not nice seeks not nice. Like attracts like. Sure, there are exceptions, because sometimes the right yin and yang requires balance, but that can work both ways. There is no universal bad guys win and good guys lose.

Not to mention, plenty of guys who think they are "nice" actually are not nice, and blame their rejection on the wrong thing, which really distort their perception of what is happening.

So you are asserting his view somehow, you finished last in high-school because you're too nice.
Probably nice = boring or too safe.

You did prove to him it's not just a male thing, but it's obvious that too much niceness is unattractive.

To certain people in certain life phases, yes.

But that changes with time and social groups and life experience.

So it isn't an absolute, and it isn't the long run result.

The long run result, in what I've observed, is that the nice guys (and the nice women) end up with the better marriages and the happier lives in all the ways that matter.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 12:06 pm

Bondkatten wrote:
Richard Cole wrote:
It's been my experience that nice guys, while a fine dating choice on paper, are boring to a majority of women. Hear me out: I've never knowingly dated a woman with Asperger's, and I only recently was diagnosed myself, but in my life and in my studies it seems that, generally speaking from a clinical point of view, women tend to maintain relationships with men who will maintain a certain amount of drama in their lives. It's novel, it increases levels of excitement in the form of first cortisol then, if things really heat up, adrenaline, and then the intimacy reinforced by the making up process. I think this is where "nice guys" become pariahs, and I am defining "nice guy" as a man who is open, loving, willing to compromise with his partner, takes her into consideration when appropriate, which can all boil down to avoiding conflict.

Maybe for some but I disagree with that it would be true for a majority of women, then again I have a diagnosis (but I refuse to let that define me), I have AS but I also have my own personality. For me drama is unattractive, I need none of that. My partner is a nice guy and I would want it no other way. I think people are sometimes together with the wrong person, love alone is not always enough, you also need mutual respect and friendship.

When people are young and inexperienced, they often associate intense feelings with the idea of love and, so, the more they feel, the more they assume it is love - which is, actually, a mistake. When you really, truly fall in love you discover that it isn't usually painful at all: there is a calmness to it, a comfort and a trust. People do eventually figure that out. It is part of the stages and phases thing, and maybe part of why so many cultures have built into their traditions that the parents should pick instead of the young people.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 12:14 pm

sly279 wrote:
Rhapsody wrote:
How are nice guys a social pariah if they're the ones women prefer for long term relationships? Does this mean that good girls are also rejects/pariahs, since they're the ones men prefer for long term relationships? And what does this mean for the “undatables” who are too ugly, too obnoxious, too whatever and so society treats them like actual pariahs?

For the poll: I don't think they're pariahs at all, and associating them with that term is overly dramatic.

they say they prefer nice guys but really prefer hot men.
its politically correct to prefer nice people. people say what people want to hear to not cause conflict and seem as one with society. men prefer women. any woman. no but really not quite the same for women.

Yes and no. Everyone prefers to look at attractive people, but that doesn't mean you want to marry them. And you do have to be attracted to your partner in a marriage or it will be hard to get through the phases where you don't like each other very much. But, long run, most women need to feel valued and loved, and even if they make the mistake of marrying that hot but inappropriate guy, it isn't likely to work out. As you date, you learn to appreciate and look for less obvious qualities in the next guy. Who is getting the most dates definitely changes by age group.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 12:16 pm

Bondkatten wrote:
Nice guy = someone respectful, likes animals, considerate, big heart (my definition)

I believe that a lot of people have their own definition of the term. I also think that some people abuse and hide behind the word. Just because a “nice guy” likes a woman, doesn’t mean that the woman has to like him back, and it doesn’t mean that if it isn’t reciprocated that the guy is a pariah. Life and love is way more complicated than that!

A lot of men that are less attractive hide under the term nice guy, even though they are not and then they expect supermodels to fall for them because they are “nice”. And then they complain that life is unfair, and nice guys are pariah. Maybe the real problem is that they are not really nice guys, or maybe the problem is that they are going after the not so nice girls. Big shocker, not every pretty girl is automatically a nice person! The outside matters, but so does the inside and the latter is far more important in the long run.

What I’m trying to say is don’t hide under a term, don’t use a stereotypical idea as a shield from reality, look in to yourself and at your actions and realize that maybe there are other reasons for why things go wrong or not your way. Hiding will get you nowhere.

Really good points.

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
When people are young and inexperienced, they often associate intense feelings with the idea of love and, so, the more they feel, the more they assume it is love - which is, actually, a mistake.

I agree, I believe people sometimes mistake infatuation for love. Love is something that grows and gets stronger with time, infatuation doesn't.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 3:04 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Venger wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Screw you, OP; I thought I knew a whole bunch of lovely guys who are in happy, long-term relationships, but now it turns out that they don't exist and that half my friends were imaginary.
Your friends are not imaginary. If they're happy in their relationships, good on them. But many a time, a beta male has no choice but to settle into a relationship available to him. Like when a woman he's not that attracted to shows interest, and he knows it's now or never.

My friends are not beta males (they're secure enough not to buy into the whole alpha/beta/omega concept anyway. Which may be why they get girls, because they spend time being interesting and actually talking to girls instead of whining about how women are mean to them because they're so beta.), and their girlfriends/wives are attractive, smart, interesting and nice.

Probably typical NTs that smile and greet you in public, but then regularly act rude/evil towards the same people on the internet.

Uh, no.
Although they'd probably be rude to you. You might like to think about why.

Quote:
they say they prefer nice guys but really prefer hot men.
its politically correct to prefer nice people. people say what people want to hear to not cause conflict and seem as one with society. men prefer women. any woman. no but really not quite the same for women.

Can you not call all women liars? And men do have standards. If you say they don't, I can go and find a bunch of quotes from you about how you shouldn't have to date people who you're not attracted to (which is true, you shouldn't have to, but don't come out with crap like "men will just take any woman!"
Your lack of success with women is because of factors other than the fact that you're nice.

Quote:
yeah sure their career choice had nothing to do with it. bunch of guys do the same and are single. not beleiving in that system isn't the reason they ended up in a relationship.

I never mentioned career choice, although I think you'll find that men with a variety of careers have relationships.
And of course "not believing in that system" isn't why they ended up in relationships, but one big reason why they don't fail at relationships is because they can actually talk to women like f*****g human beings without whining, calling themselves beta, or making sweeping generalisations and then calling women liars when they point out how inaccurate they are.

i didn't say all women. I said they. if you take they to mean all women then thats on you.
people in general lie about stuff in this case its about a lie women(not all) tell. people are mostly politicaly correct in public. do you really think some woman would come out and say no i hate nice guys they are so horrible. can you imagine the looks and replies she'd get? same would go for a guy saying so about nice women.
like if someone made you dinner and you hated it or a kid makes you a sh***y art poster. you say what is expected that they're good.

variety of careers is still a career, if the guy just had some low paying job with no promotion possiblity and was a nice guy it'd be a different story.
beta males gama males, or whatever else still talk to women. most people don't whine to women theh interesting in. so don't know where people get that. coming on here in expressing one self or when a close friend comes and opens up to you is not the same as them walking around downtown whining to women. i hate that people turn someone trusting and opening up to them into something horrible. shame, and who ever does it likely won't trusted again.

a lot of guys just want sex, so they will take it from any source they can. i don't understand this but I've seen it and many others have too.