07 Apr 2015, 5:01 am

I use a Neanderthal stone-axe as usual. :wink:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 3:20 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
starkid wrote:
I just signed up and it seems cool. I was surprised that the Spectrum Questionnaire was basically the questions from the AQ with some extra questions at the end.

Cringe cringe cringe. They used the same questions but changed the scale! You can't ask how frequently you frequently do something, but well, that have! And there's nothing in between "frequently" and "rarely"...that's a huge gap there, and a lot of my answers would fall somewhere in that gap rather than at one of those options. The original AQ has the options "strongly agree" "agree" "disagree" and "strongly disagree" which is also not flawless but makes a lot more sense. Baron-Cohen must be rolling his eyes at this.

Things like this surprise me, how an aspie (the site creator), who would stereotypically be detail-orientated, could fail to see what they have done.

Sorry, had to vent. :P

yeah i was frustrated by that too.
I fall in the middle on a lot of those things.

other thing that bothered me is questions about touching, while i feel there should be two, one for touching anyone and one for touching only partner.
made it hard to answer some. as I do things with partner that I won't do with anyone else.
some other questions I'm like what do they mean by this. how do I answer it.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 3:44 pm

sly279 wrote:
other thing that bothered me is questions about touching, while i feel there should be two, one for touching anyone and one for touching only partner.
made it hard to answer some. as I do things with partner that I won't do with anyone else.

Yes, that points to them having poor knowledge about how these traits works (even if they are aspies themselves, which is no guarantee).

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 3:51 pm

rdos wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Yes, that points to them having poor knowledge about how these traits works (even if they are aspies themselves, which is no guarantee).

yep I wouldn't work out with say an aspie who doesn't like any touching or maybe even one who is over touchy.
so i answer that I don't like touching thinking it implies everyone and get matched with someone who hates all touch. or i answer i like touching a lot which i do with only partner, and get matched to super touchy person. or if i had also used site for friendship then friend who is over touchy.

just one of the ones that really frustrated me though.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 3:56 pm

sly279 wrote:
so i answer that I don't like touching thinking it implies everyone and get matched with someone who hates all touch. or i answer i like touching a lot which i do with only partner, and get matched to super touchy person. or if i had also used site for friendship then friend who is over touchy.

You can possibly avoid that by enlarging the range of people with whom you get matched (by clicking My Spectrum), but nobody even knows how the matching system works yet. Somebody in chat said they will be posting an explanation soon.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 6:34 pm

starkid wrote:
sly279 wrote:

You can possibly avoid that by enlarging the range of people with whom you get matched (by clicking My Spectrum), but nobody even knows how the matching system works yet. Somebody in chat said they will be posting an explanation soon.

to be honest I don't plan on going back. the whole cost is too much especially when combined with lack of people in my area. I wouldn't pay anything for it due to that.

okc ,pof, and craigslist for me. atleast theres people on there.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 6:38 pm

sly279 wrote:
okc ,pof, and craigslist for me. atleast theres people on there.

Well the site just recently opened up and people are still joining. You could try back later.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 6:47 pm

rdos wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I'd be surprised if they wrote any of the questions, I thought they just mashed a few existing questionnaires together and then gave them the same scale. The article says they "came up with the questions" but since that's clearly not true for a large percentage of the questions, I wonder if it is true at all.

At least the AQ has been extensively tested. Even if they did write a bunch of the questions themselves, that's not exactly something to brag about when then haven't undergone any scrutiny. Well they have now, by us, haha.

Ste_D84
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Apr 2015, 9:54 pm

Anyone on here from uk interested in dating?? I'm new to this website by the way. x

Antharis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2015, 10:20 pm

I'm lmao at this entire thing. Such cutting-edge trolling technology XD

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 10:31 pm

Antharis wrote:
I'm lmao at this entire thing. Such cutting-edge trolling technology XD

What do you mean by "trolling?"

Antharis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2015, 10:46 pm

The way the site was put together and the parameters it seems to run with give the impression that this site is more intended to mess with lonely peeps on the spectrum than to actually function as a dating resource. This is what I mean by trolling.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 11:13 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
starkid wrote:
I just signed up and it seems cool. I was surprised that the Spectrum Questionnaire was basically the questions from the AQ with some extra questions at the end.

Cringe cringe cringe. They used the same questions but changed the scale! You can't ask how frequently you frequently do something, but well, that have! And there's nothing in between "frequently" and "rarely"...that's a huge gap there, and a lot of my answers would fall somewhere in that gap rather than at one of those options. The original AQ has the options "strongly agree" "agree" "disagree" and "strongly disagree" which is also not flawless but makes a lot more sense. Baron-Cohen must be rolling his eyes at this.

Things like this surprise me, how an aspie (the site creator), who would stereotypically be detail-orientated, could fail to see what they have done.

I'm pretty sure the AQ is actually forced choice and the degree options are just to give the illusion of choice when they are treated identically.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Mahler7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2015, 12:12 am

Just created a temporary profile. I like the idea, but they have a long way to go. If they could copy OKC's questioning format and searching format it would be a lot easier to use. I would've liked to have added some written responses to those questions, some of them got pretty open ended. I would also like to know how the sorting process works, telling me I'm blue ... what does that even mean?

They also require a real name, which I didn't like and I didn't use. But I did see a lot of other people on there who did put their real name up, which is dangerous because the internet stalker potential for anyone who chose to do that is very serious.

There aren't a lot of people either, and I was looking for Chicago. I used a filter only in age group 19-32 and found only two matches that were listed as local. One was an incomplete profile (looked kind of shady) the other was a person who was actually going to Notre Dame (which is in South Bend IN).

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 3:32 am

doesn't' seem to be a way to delete your profile or profile picture :(

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 5:40 am

Ganondox wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
starkid wrote:

I'm pretty sure the AQ is actually forced choice and the degree options are just to give the illusion of choice when they are treated identically.

That is somewhat true, there is no difference in scoring between "strongly agree" and "agree", or "strongly disagree" and "disagree". I conducted a study where I scored a bunch of results the way you are supposed to, and my preferred way which was as a 4 point scale rather than 2, and I found I got better results using my method (as in, I could find stronger correlations with it, etc.). Nevertheless, the AQ how it is scored is still better than the survey on this site (and much much easier to answer).