A new aspergers dating site called Spectrum Singles

Page 3 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 7:36 am

Yellowmartin, you are very upset because you would score NT on a such test :P , since they don't have the "barely agree" option.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 8:31 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Yellowmartin, you are very upset because you would score NT on a such test :P , since they don't have the "barely agree" option.

That's pretty disrespectful. And if you are going to pretend to know me, at least get my name right.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:36 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

That's pretty disrespectful. And if you are going to pretend to know me, at least get my name right.

All I am saying that you seem have it very mild, based on the impression I got from your posts all these years.

tagnacious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2015, 7:09 am

Anyone else skeeved out by the fact that they group you into this color and don't tell you why and what it means? I have some crazy bad experiences from elementary school where they did just this to me. I have no intentions of paying someone to do so to me again.

Someone on this thread mentioned that the system was automatically posting everyone as female. This makes sense! There were so many men listed as women, and they weren't trans people. They didn't seem like the kind of ewey men who do that on purpose on OK cupid because they want to have a threesome and they assume lesbians will be up for that.

I took my profile down almost as soon as it went up. I hope they actually followed through. I don't really want my picture there.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 7:34 am

Quote:
Someone on this thread mentioned that the system was automatically posting everyone as female. This makes sense!

The owner knew that there will like 4x more males - the solution? Turning some males to females. :P

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 4:04 pm

tagnacious wrote:
Anyone else skeeved out by the fact that they group you into this color and don't tell you why and what it means? I have some crazy bad experiences from elementary school where they did just this to me. I have no intentions of paying someone to do so to me again.

Someone on this thread mentioned that the system was automatically posting everyone as female. This makes sense! There were so many men listed as women, and they weren't trans people. They didn't seem like the kind of ewey men who do that on purpose on OK cupid because they want to have a threesome and they assume lesbians will be up for that.

I took my profile down almost as soon as it went up. I hope they actually followed through. I don't really want my picture there.

how'd you do that where is the option to take it down?

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 4:44 pm

The photo of the mom looks like a stock image of a model

There are probably men behind this website just like the fake sports journalist Sarah Philips:
http://deadspin.com/5907349/meet-nilesh ... ppetmaster

similar site mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?t=207588

LuckyLilith
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2015, 5:41 pm

Hello!

I am Olivia Cantu, co-founder of SpectrumSingles.com :mrgreen:

I have briefly lurked on WrongPlanet before, but joined today as to better be able to reach out to people who have seen and discussed the SpectrumSingles Website. Yes, we are women. :lol: If you need more proof you can see us on Facebook... or me in the HuffPost Live interview with the directors of the new film Autism in Love... Also we will be uploading youtube videos soon of us explaining some stuff and you again can double-check that we are women.

No, I am not an aspie. I was diagnosed as autistic, I don't think it matters much but for some reason many people label me as aspie and I'm unsure if stating my correct diagnosis changes any thoughts. Kirsten Fitzpatrick's photo looks "stock photo" like because she has many other jobs besides being co-founder. It's her work portrait :)

I joined to make this reply mainly to answer some issues but to also better explain the website. Many people are upset that we aren't a 10/10 Eharmony-like website right out the gate. We are crowd-funded, and I (currently a college student) am currently paying for everything out of my own pocket. Next to school, work, sports, and other responsibilities, I have also committed to this website and its community. Yes, we have faced various bugs and glitches (as we are in fact, a new website 8O ) but many of them have been fixed and cleared up. We also moved to a new server to better accommodate the large community, so the lag and slowness has gone away as well. As why we require a paid membership, it is for security and to help fund making the website better. If we wanted to, we could have made it free and just get funding from advertisements.... but then that would invite anyone to join. Meaning there'd be no real sense of monitoring and security as trolls, bullies, scammers, and more flow in. We currently have matched the prices of Match.com .....from over 20years ago. Considering the pricing of other modern-day dating sites... We were very much satisfied with our prices. The test we did create ourselves, we even have it patented. :) The questions have a specific answering system because if given the chance... many people may just select "lol I dunno" and then the test results aren't accurate. The test may not be compatible for everyone, but that's why again we have the paid membership so we can update it and further make it user-friendly. Hopefully this clears up some of the negativity that has been brewing. This wasn't a "no u guyz r wrong" post or any of the sort, I genuinely just wanted to help clarify some things as I want to be able to reach out to all members of the spectrum community. If anyone has any questions, you're free to ask me anything! :D

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 7:20 pm

LuckyLilith wrote:
If anyone has any questions, you're free to ask me anything! :D

When are we going to find out the meaning of the colors/scoring of the matching system?

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 7:21 pm

Awesome, thanks for your input and clarifications Olivia :)

I actually thought after I had posted about the questions that it may have come across a bit rude if you happened to read it, and I apologise if it did. I've studied and worked in survey design so it is a bit of a passion of mine. "Patented" doesn't equal "tested", so while it is nice to be able to say you have your own questions, I actually had no problem with you using the AQ (it is well researched and free to use) in your survey, as long as the scale that went with the questions made sense, which it does not. I was going to give you a solid example here but I suppose I'd have to rejoin to see the survey again. But basically, to a very literal-minded person taking the survey (and I believe many on the spectrum would be), it is impossible to answer some of the questions accurately, the way they are worded and using the scale you provided. One example (which is actually a more minor one) would be a question that says "I frequently..." and then providing "frequently" and "rarely" as options. Well, do I frequently frequently do that thing? Or do I rarely frequently do that thing? It just doesn't really make sense. If you take out the reference to frequency in the question, you can leave it in the response options, but you can't have it in both.

Conversely, there were some questions that didn't relate to frequency at all but those were still the response options.

And the huge gap between "frequently" and "rarely", well, for many questions I fell somewhere in between there, and honestly didn't know which would be the best response to pick in those cases, it felt like lying either way.

Hope that gives you some insight, from an extremely pedantic aspie who is passionate about survey design and is yet to find any survey that has good questions and response options, anywhere in the world, hehe.

LuckyLilith
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2015, 8:18 pm

Regarding the colors on our spectrum range, We are going to record a video for editing and uploading tomorrow going into explanation about that and other questions regarding the website. (I am horrible in front of cameras, so I have been putting it off. :? ) I also understand that some of the questions are redundant or may be worded funny, so we want to also update the test.

tagnacious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2015, 8:33 pm

sly279 wrote:
tagnacious wrote:

how'd you do that where is the option to take it down?

Just go to "edit profile" and click something along the line of "suspend account." I think it worked for me, but I wouldn't be able to check without re-signing up. It seems to be implied that you can do so without redoing everything.

If it holds true that this site's faults are due to the upstart nature of this project, I might rejoin. I like to support individuals in business for themselves.

tagnacious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2015, 8:34 pm

LuckyLilith wrote:
Hello!

I am Olivia Cantu, co-founder of SpectrumSingles.com :mrgreen:

:D

Thanks, Olivia. I look forward to hearing more from you.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 2:57 am

guessing its geared towards successful aspies/autistics vs those who are on welfare or have low paying jobs.

theres unregister which removes it completely is that what you did tagnacious?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 3:08 am

LuckyLilith wrote:
No, I am not an aspie. I was diagnosed as autistic, I don't think it matters much but for some reason many people label me as aspie and I'm unsure if stating my correct diagnosis changes any thoughts. Kirsten Fitzpatrick's photo looks "stock photo" like because she has many other jobs besides being co-founder. It's her work portrait :)

Diagnosis in general makes little sense when working with dating sites as there isn't any diagnostic criteria related to relationships in ASD diagnosis. This aspect of the autism simply is not understood by psychiatry.

LuckyLilith wrote:
I joined to make this reply mainly to answer some issues but to also better explain the website. Many people are upset that we aren't a 10/10 Eharmony-like website right out the gate.

Not really. More like upset that not any of the questions are related to neurodiverse relationship preferences, which are bound to be the main players in trying to match a sample of people high on neurodiverse traits.

LuckyLilith wrote:
We are crowd-funded, and I (currently a college student) am currently paying for everything out of my own pocket. Next to school, work, sports, and other responsibilities, I have also committed to this website and its community. Yes, we have faced various bugs and glitches (as we are in fact, a new website 8O ) but many of them have been fixed and cleared up. We also moved to a new server to better accommodate the large community, so the lag and slowness has gone away as well. As why we require a paid membership, it is for security and to help fund making the website better. If we wanted to, we could have made it free and just get funding from advertisements.... but then that would invite anyone to join. Meaning there'd be no real sense of monitoring and security as trolls, bullies, scammers, and more flow in. We currently have matched the prices of Match.com .....from over 20years ago. Considering the pricing of other modern-day dating sites...

Uhhm, not really. I've put down 11 years and many thousand hours on Aspie Quiz, and it's free and on a site without ads. I don't think that good tools for aspies needs to generate income. I'd prefer them not to because that is a sign that they are developed for the good of the community rather than as a business idea.

LuckyLilith wrote:
We were very much satisfied with our prices. The test we did create ourselves, we even have it patented. :) The questions have a specific answering system because if given the chance... many people may just select "lol I dunno" and then the test results aren't accurate. The test may not be compatible for everyone, but that's why again we have the paid membership so we can update it and further make it user-friendly. Hopefully this clears up some of the negativity that has been brewing. This wasn't a "no u guyz r wrong" post or any of the sort, I genuinely just wanted to help clarify some things as I want to be able to reach out to all members of the spectrum community. If anyone has any questions, you're free to ask me anything! :D

You just cannot makeup a survey like that. You need to validate it in some way, otherwise nobody knows if it is any good or not. If you are really seriously interested in this, you could get the data from Aspie Quiz where I have answers for both people in a relationship which gives an idea which traits are best complimentary and which are best similar. Because this is what you need to research in order to provide people with good matches. And there isn't any current studies on this you could use.

Besides, the AQ test is a horrible starting point for doing a test for romantic compatibility between neurodiverse people.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 3:24 am

Just a fancier aspie affection site resulting in a sausage fest!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList