Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 10:16 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Räv = Fox (Swedish)
Vos = Fox (Dutch)

^
Renard (French)
ثعلب (Arabic)

Interesting, the French took the word for fox from the medieval story, Reynhard the Fox.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 1:10 pm

Bondkatten wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Bondkatten wrote:
Cat is a word that remains similar in the languages that I know a bit.

Cat
Kat (Dutch)
Katt (Swedish)
Kot (Polish)

In classic Arabic it's Kott for male Kotta for female.

French, it's Chat, spelled Sha, and Chatte for female - a slang word for vagina too :lol:.

haha in Sweden the slang went wrong, the slang word would be Mus=Mouse :D
Maybe because we have no real word for female cat, you have to say katthona or katthane, but hona (female) and hane (male) is just standard for all animals. Swedish is a bit boring, not enough words. That is what I like abount Dutch, they have a richer language.
Thanks spelling Tha'alab :)

In English, French and Arabic all use derivatives/synonyms of cat as slang word for vagina.

I guess you swedes don't have them hairy down there.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 2:19 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Bondkatten wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Bondkatten wrote:
Cat is a word that remains similar in the languages that I know a bit.

Cat
Kat (Dutch)
Katt (Swedish)
Kot (Polish)

In classic Arabic it's Kott for male Kotta for female.

French, it's Chat, spelled Sha, and Chatte for female - a slang word for vagina too :lol:.

haha in Sweden the slang went wrong, the slang word would be Mus=Mouse :D
Maybe because we have no real word for female cat, you have to say katthona or katthane, but hona (female) and hane (male) is just standard for all animals. Swedish is a bit boring, not enough words. That is what I like abount Dutch, they have a richer language.
Thanks spelling Tha'alab :)

In English, French and Arabic all use derivatives/synonyms of cat as slang word for vagina.

I guess you swedes don't have them hairy down there.

I think this is the same for many languages, in Dutch the word for female cat (poes) is also slang for vagina. Here is some wet p**** (natte poes):

[Oh f*k, they censored pusy]

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 4:41 am

Bondkatten wrote:

I'm sorry that you feel that way, and that you had such bad experiences. I think that languages should be fun.
How does it work in an american school, do you learn other languages?
The little fox looks very safe :)

you do if you intend to go to college. I learned Deutsch(German) though I've forgotten most of what I learned :( though I learned less than others did in the class. I'm not really able to learn other languages. I have a hard time remembering and I have a speech problem. but I did learn german. I learn from hearing it. I can't learn how to pronounce words by seeing how they are spelled, even english words. People always like spell it out, but I can't.

I wonder if I'd lived a better life as a fox. but probably not.

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 7:20 am

sly279 wrote:
you do if you intend to go to college. I learned Deutsch(German) though I've forgotten most of what I learned :( though I learned less than others did in the class. I'm not really able to learn other languages. I have a hard time remembering and I have a speech problem. but I did learn german. I learn from hearing it. I can't learn how to pronounce words by seeing how they are spelled, even english words. People always like spell it out, but I can't.

It is not easy to learn a new language, especially not if you don’t get to hear it a lot around you. That’s why English is easier for me since there are so many American and British shows on TV. But I started learning English when I was around 9 or 10. It is strange that schools don’t learn children more languages at an earlier age, the younger you are the easier it is.

I think the life of a fox is not easy, people can be very cruel.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 4:01 pm

Bondkatten wrote:
sly279 wrote:

It is not easy to learn a new language, especially not if you don’t get to hear it a lot around you. That’s why English is easier for me since there are so many American and British shows on TV. But I started learning English when I was around 9 or 10. It is strange that schools don’t learn children more languages at an earlier age, the younger you are the easier it is.

well they try to teach all 4 or 5th graders some spanish. I couldn't learn and still can't learn spanish.
yeah there's no one else around me that speaks german so I forgot all that I learned.

indeed, but its not as hard as a humans perhaps. when they aren't hunted, they are free, they mates are loyal to them.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 3:07 am

sly279 wrote:
Bondkatten wrote:
sly279 wrote:

well they try to teach all 4 or 5th graders some spanish. I couldn't learn and still can't learn spanish.
yeah there's no one else around me that speaks german so I forgot all that I learned.

indeed, but its not as hard as a humans perhaps. when they aren't hunted, they are free, they mates are loyal to them.

It's a bit the same for me, if you don't use the language you will start to forget it. People can even have trouble with their native language if they don't speak it anymore. One reason why German might have been easier for you than Spanish is because it is more similar maybe. Since I learned German from Dutch that made it easier since the languages are similar.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 3:28 am

perhaps. I also think the german language worked better with my speech problem with Rs.

I noticed that people who learned spanish had a easier time learning italian, its seemed similar to spanish.

I found russian to not be as hard though, but again I had to hear it spoken a few times.

learning german spelling and grammar was harder than learning to speak it. I have hard time with english grammar and spelling. I think its just a part of my aspergers maybe. probably why the school didn't think I could learn any 2nd language. I didn't find I had to yell german by the way, my teach nor the german lady didn't either. but I've never been to germany. I do wish I was able to learn languages. German and russian interest me and perhaps Austrian.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 7:29 am

For me the English R is difficult to learn as the Dutch one is very different. I read an article a while ago that said that in all the dialects of Dutch there were over 20 different Rs used, depending on the region.
I also found German grammar really hard, German has retained much of the older grammar that English and Dutch have lost. If you see Old English, that also has grammatical cases such as in German. I could understand the grammar on paper, but I can't think fast enough to use correct grammar when trying to speak. It's probably easiest to learn die/der/das/den from just listening to German a lot, that's how native speakers learn it. It's funny to see little kids speak German or French when it's so difficult for adults to learn it.