Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 3:57 pm

I still have My Boyfriend :D :heart: :heart: I known him for 3 weeks tomorrow & 2 weeks of being my boyfriend on Wednesday. He makes me soooo happy. We are planning on meeting next month. He is in Asia for work. He is getting a new phone so we can video chat, he has a phone, his company gave it to him, his phone doesn’t have face camera, so he getting a new one, he want to video chat on Valentine’s Day & he also want to video chat with his daughter.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 10:37 pm

Kitty, trust but verify. Before you meet him, find out if he really works for the company he works for, look online for background information on him, and so on. If you can't find anything at all online, he may have given you a false name, which in itself is a red flag.

Our desire to form a union with another person can be so strong that we lose common sense and overlook possible dangers. I'm happy to see you happy, but I'm just reminding you to be smart and safe.

Gingerlee
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2019, 3:35 am

Kitty, please, be extremely careful with this thing. Nowadays nobody in the UK, unless they are 80 yo grandads, could live without a smartphone, let alone a businessman who travels the world for work. Please check carefully the informations that he gave to you, and in case you find something unclear, run away! :heart:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 5:17 am

That sounds a bit dodgy. The only phones without cameras now days are in museums.

I hope for your sake, I’m wrong.

Gingerlee
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2019, 5:54 am

Again, why should he video chat with you only on Valentine's Day? He wouldn't need two weeks to buy a new phone with camera, he could have it today or tomorrow!
I fear there's a reason for that and it's not a good one. While you're waiting for him to be ready for that video chat, something will happen. A car accident that requires him to stay at the hospital or a diplomatic accident that won't allow him to leave that Asian country where he's or pretends to be now, unless somebody sends him money to solve his problems. It's a typical scam trick. Be extremely careful. I really hope to be wrong, but please don't get too involved in this relationship before having met him in person.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 6:00 am

I don't own a smart phone, I am in Europe (albeit not UK), I am younger than 80 and I am very much alive and didn't steal my mobile phone from any museum.

But yes, a businessman who travels abroad a lot would probably have a smart phone. Definitely be careful and check if you can find anything else about him online.
Video-chatting with him once he has a new phone is a good thing though. It may help you verify that he is really him. At least it verifies that the photos on his online dating profile are his and that any other online account you may find with his name and photos is also really his.
However, Gingerlee is right. If something happens that prevents you from video-chatting with him again and especially if he asks for money he is a scam.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 6:44 am

Yes. I would take the above advice.

Saying this, my stepmother, who has lots of money, owns only an old-fashioned flip phone. She is only four years older than I am, and is hip in other ways.

Gingerlee
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2019, 6:49 am

Of course it was an exaggeration, I do know that there still could be someone without a smartphone, but it's quite unusual. And if you don't have a smartphone, you could have a tablet or a laptop with a camera, especially if you are a businessman.
The whole situation looks a bit odd to me. I definitely hope this isn't a scam because I see how much involved Kitty is, but I strongly believe she needs to be careful and aware of the potential risks.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 7:28 am

No doubt about that!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 12:58 am

My boyfriend is not the one hurting me, you guys are hurting me. I never going come back here.

Gingerlee
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2019, 3:02 am

I'm sorry, Kitty. I am new here and I certainly didn't want to hurt you in any way, I just wanted to warn you.
I just expressed my doubts and I strongly hope to be proven wrong about my suspicions.
Good luck.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 9:26 am

If he’s legit and cool, I am wrong.

But there are lots of fake people around...and we don’t want you to become a victim of a fake person.

Suppose you get a ticket to the UK...and the guy turns out to be fake? You would be stuck there, have nowhere to stay, and have to pay extra to get back to the US.

Or he might be real and ask for money. Should you refuse, he might leave you stranded or worse.

I hope this guy turns out to be real.

Gingerlee
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2019, 12:15 pm

Kitty, when I was much younger than I am now, I met on internet some bad people. They didn't ask me for money and they didn't have any, but they stole something that is even more worthy: my feelings. They were just bored married people that wanted an easy fun. They gave me fake credentials, probably thinking that it didn't matter, and gave me hopes. I was young and gullible, nothing terrible happened, but I felt somewhat violated. And I became extremely careful.
There are a few bad people in this world, I wouldn't even say that they're the majority, but we need to be careful. Always.
They don't deserve our sadness.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 12:05 am

I can’t stay away from WP, I love this site. I know you guys are worried, I have a good feeling about him, he never asked me for money & he is the one who is coming to America.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 12:21 am

I thought and I hoped you'd be back, Kitty.

We care about you. You are a valued member of this site.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 12:27 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I can’t stay away from WP, I love this site. I know you guys are worried, I have a good feeling about him, he never asked me for money & he is the one who is coming to America.

Kitty, you should ask him to do a video call asap.

The “I don’t have camera”, “my camera is broken”, “my mic doesn’t work” are all common lies that scammers use, I am not saying your bf is one but I hope it’s not the case.