Got anything random to say? L&D Version.

Page 17 of 21 [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 11:10 am

babybird wrote:
How is mansplaining any different from normal explaining

Quote:
The Oxford Dictionary defines mansplaining as the practice of a man explaining something to a woman in a way that shows he thinks he knows and understands more than she does.

Men often drown out qualified women, interrupting repeatedly, they tend to explain things unasked, even when the woman is the better qualified one in the conversation. To put it simply, it is like telling a woman how periods work. We appreciate how men are trying to understand issues that we battle each day, but what they have to understand is that there is absolutely no need for men to articulate it for us.

https://thelogicalindian.com/story-feed ... -men-20395

Mansplaining is typically condescending and patronizing behavior - treating women like we’re stupid and not equal, especially regarding topics that a woman has more knowledge or personal experience with.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Apr 2024, 11:30 am

Is there a term for the gender opposite version of mansplaining :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 1:15 pm

nick007 wrote:

Womansplaining is a thing, though feminists contend that it can't exist because of a power imbalance in favour of men... the patriarchy - or something, I think.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 1:18 pm

babybird wrote:

It can be a matter of interpretation. If a woman thinks a man is a misogynist then she might read into his message that he is being condescending with his explanations, even if his explanations are just... explanations in his mind and are not bound to any notion of gender.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 1:29 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:

It can be a matter of interpretation. If a woman thinks a man is a misogynist then she might read into his message that he is being condescending with his explanations, even if his explanations are just... explanations in his mind and are not bound to any notion of gender.
People can be condescending or even have sexist opinions/attitudes without realizing it.

Typically, when something is called-out as mansplaining, the problem is less about preconceived notions and more about the comment itself.

As recent threads and posts have demonstrated, men sometimes say that something is mansplaining too, so it’s not a behavior that only women pick up on.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 5:10 pm

Ok thank you

I'm not debating whether it goes on or not btw I just didn't understand what it meant properly

I don't think anyone's stupid anyway

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 3:05 am

Also though you have to consider that once you get to a certain age your prospective partners may already have children of their own. And ex's and all sorts of other life things that you would have to make certain allowances for in your relationship.

I think that's one of the hardest things about relationships; you sometimes have to accept that the other person has a past that might still be part of the present

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 4:57 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Womansplaining is a thing, though feminists contend that it can't exist because of a power imbalance in favour of men... the patriarchy - or something, I think.
Me & my girlfriend are both feminists but not radical & we both admit that happens sometimes. Of coarse mansplaining tends to happen a lot more. We both hate double standards.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 5:52 am

I just think that women and men have a different way of communicating

Would a man feel as if he was being mansplained if the mansplainer was mansplaining something in exactly the same way as he would mansplain it to a woman or is it only women who feel like they are targets for mansplaining

I just like saying mansplain

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 7:15 am

babybird wrote:
I just think that women and men have a different way of communicating
I think this is the case sometimes. It's common in sitcoms for women to be upset by men due to misinterpreting something a guy said. This happend to me in real life some. I'm used to others putting words in my mouth so to speak. Some people think I'm very offensove & hateful towards women but others think I'm very respectul & sensitive to women. Cass has problems with communication sometimes so she usually assumes she misheard/misunderstood & asks me to explain. Main time she gets upset with me is if she's already in a bad mood & then she may get upset with something I say before I can finish my sentence or train of thought. When she lets me explain what I've meant she realizes she misunderstood & apologizes. I kinda learned to avoid majorly debating with her when she's upset & instead let her rant & kinda agree & act sympathetic.

Though there are various times when some members of one gender really do think they understand & know what's best for the other gender better than they do & that needs to be called out.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 7:20 am

Very well put. Thank you

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 10:21 am

The issue with mansplaining is that the topic is usually, but not always a women's topic. For example men might tell women what it's like to be a woman in various situations including menstruation, attraction, sexuality, or post-male-female sexual trauma. They're not saying how women treated them, but rather WHY the women are doing certain things or even how the women feel at those times.

An example is a current thread, discussing the reasons why women don't date autistic men. In my opinion questions about why women do or don't do things should be answered by women. Men could share their experiences and of course those are valuable, but they can't answer the question without speculation because they don't know WHY.

It's even more "mansplainy" when men respond to women in threads about women, and say or suggest the women are wrong, or that they as men know more about womanhood than women respondents do. Yes, all people are different and not all women think or feel the same way on various topics pertaining to women, but women's input shouldn't be invalidated or dismissed by men who seek that input in the first place.

I can't think of comparable situations where women on WP, or in general, tell others what it's like to be a man. I doubt men would be very pleased with that if we did. Sadly, women wouldn't be called "womansplainers" if they did this. In popular culture women who do that are usually called b*****s or other derogatory terms which attack them as people, rather than identifying the specific behaviour with a verb (e.g., mansplaining).

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 3:42 pm

Anyway my recent thoughts on the dating situation is that maybe it's a good idea to be involved in some kind of social scene with like minded people first

Learn to walk before you can run

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 3:45 pm

I bet it’s easier when you’ve already got something in common to talk about. I’d probably struggle on a blind date although I’ve got a lot of fashion ideas just in case. :lol:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 3:46 pm

Yeah you'll look splendid. Your outfits will do all the talking for you

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 3:48 pm

The problem would be narrowing my options down. Maybe I’d have to start a thread on it.

“Which outfit from my Blind Date thread should I choose?”