Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 8:44 pm

This is one of those things where it just brings to mind the realities of AS and just what a f'd up place we're in. I have an Eharmony account, mostly at the urging of my parents (and I thought "Well, its true I haven't tried it - better to do so and not have the 'what ifs' come back to bite me"). Of course, no different than almost anything else, I always had a few people interested but after two or three messages back and forth the conversations always just seem to fizzle up and correspondence would stop with them just not replying to something.

Well, when I did look around - particularly with anyone I found interesting enough to where I wanted to read a bit of their profile, a huge thing they wanted in a guy is honesty. That's very fair, upfront, and I like that. Someone also went on to say that she thought a person could only truely be honest with someone else when they could be honest with themselves.

This is where my own analysis of that dynamic comes in. I agree with them, they're absolutely right on that stand point. Try to make a connection on false pretenses and its shot. The trouble with having AS, its not ok. We can't be our full selves, and just the mere trying to at least front as well as we can, is a load of false pretense. We're doing what we absolutely HAVE to in order to make it in this world, survive, have enough respect from the people around us to keep the peace and harmony in our lives to the best of our ability. It feels like almost anyone I'm going to meet, especially when I myself seem to have a very strong neurotypical component, its going to be that catch 22; I can't just let go because when I do its not a good thing, if I hold it together they'll see that its a front (they'll feel like I'm emotionally distant or not interested, for me its dysphoria - if I actually go on a date, particularly with someone I don't know, I wouldn't say I'm terrified of people, but the scrutiny that comes into play with this from somebody as the level of drilling; its like standing before a firing squad and by the time its over you almost afraid to see them again).

I face it all down like this: I have a lot of talents, I have a good job, I am a good person, my social skills and ability to read people are actually what put me in the PDD-NOS category rather than Asperger's. Unfortunately my nervous system's shot, that's the autistic component of me. I appear unnatural, wooden, frail, I could work out but my nervous system seems to blow through protein like a Hemmy engine so in the end when I've gotten myself into routines I just started feeling ill and had to stop to feel better again. My internal social angles, my natural emotional orientation, seems to be one that's rarely shared with anyone aside from most often NT's who are pretty far from having AS and I tend to have a lot of friends that I shouldn't otherwise just because they can see that likeness.

But, when your stuck out in limbo - what does it mean? Being honest with yourself? I'm really thinking anymore that I need to just surrender to life, do what makes me happy, and not take any overt shots at anything (more like the situation will draw itself to me if its right). Probably sounds a bit fatalist but I'm really hitting my head on my own genetic limits and I discovered at least 3 or 4 years ago that those limits are like a sheet of rubber, you can push on it so long and rise outside of them a bit but to maintain yourself above and beyond those limits takes an excruciating amount of energy (moreso the farther you go), it doesn't get easier, and the second you relax you get slung right back. Knowing that I've been sort of just trying how to do triage on my wants and needs in that regard - my image, my take on myself, what I feel I need to be in order to be happy, what I need out of the world around me; what I think I'd have to settle for, might be fine on the social level but I know I'd have people always asking a million questions about why I'm single (I'd really want to focus on keeping conversations as far from there as I could and just getting as adept as I can at dodging or changing subjects when it came to that).

The point is I can live my life, especially since I have passions in other areas, in a way that at least can keep me from being unhappy on the day-to-day level. The withdrawls of realizing I'll probably never have a normal life I already went through, convulsed a bit, and its been over for a while. Still, I would hate to have that new-found comfort with my situation swallow chances that were just thrown at me. I really try to be honest with myself and just like I'm good at railing on myself when I'm wrong I've gotten a lot better at talking myself over regrets, especially when looking back and assessing my own capabilities on how to handle other people's differences and aversions to someone who has some real deeply planted differences - just because anymore I can realistically say "Well, don't be so hard on yourself; you saw x, y, and z, and you got a bad feeling about it - if you would have just tried to push through it you still would have felt the same way and if anything just made drama in the end for your efforts" (ie. when I have had someone interested in me but either wasn't attracted to them or, when I was they had been too emotionally brittle with people for me to really feel comfortable).

When I say all this I'm not really firing off a rant, but its an introspect that I need to get out there. Can't say I haven't done everything in my own power to sway things in better directions, just that I've hit so many brick walls with my body, my nervous system, and what it will allow me to get out of myself, its really tough for me to care that much that I'm getting older and things feel like they haven't budged an inch. I think if anything my only fear is that this nice little lul I have in any frustrations around that may come from the fact that I'm still just emotionally battered numb on certain levels from what life's put me through and the fact that the second I'm lonely I have friends and a roommate that I can hit up to chat, watch tv, hit a bar, or something.

I know that no one has the answers but still, I guess I just like talking about the real stuff thats going on. I know people here like to keep it light and simple but I really think sometimes the bigger questions really need to be brought up and addressed. Our non-place in this world gives us these sorts of special circumstances where to really be fully comfortable in our own skin we really have to iron these things out and be pretty well assured in our own answers that we've found.

Dishman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2008, 10:06 pm

If you can read people, then read the whole thing...

You've gone much further into honesty than most people go. I believe NTs protect themselves from that train of thought with "cognitive dissonance" and subconscious filtering. If your memory is good enough, sift through it and see how many people actually engage in that level of introspection. I'd taken even odds on you not finding any.

The best thing I can offer is this:
It's not a mask. It's a set of disciplines required for social interaction. It is accepting and adopting certain rules of conduct. You are not "hiding" anything. You are acting in accordance with certain rules of society.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 10:06 pm

I'm impressed. I've hear horror stories about EHarmony rejecting over a million people (sure, they can make fantastic matches if they just use people who ordinarily wouldn't need one..;)

You may want to position yourself to be honest enough to attract someone who can deal with it (probably more of them than you think), but not just put it out there. I don't know if it's me, but I've observed that the more choice there is, the pickier you get.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 12:03 am

Dishman wrote:
If you can read people, then read the whole thing...

You've gone much further into honesty than most people go. I believe NTs protect themselves from that train of thought with "cognitive dissonance" and subconscious filtering. If your memory is good enough, sift through it and see how many people actually engage in that level of introspection. I'd taken even odds on you not finding any.

The best thing I can offer is this:
It's not a mask. It's a set of disciplines required for social interaction. It is accepting and adopting certain rules of conduct. You are not "hiding" anything. You are acting in accordance with certain rules of society.

Yeah, I understand that. I may just be coming from the angle of how my PDD/AS is effecting me personally. It may be that my own personality style is the ultimate cause of the problems, I get that impression often enough though but at the same time I find I'm a person of limited internal maliability at this point; its not to say that change isn't hard for everyone but I've gone all out in my past to correct EVERYTHING that I could regarding this, and I may be hostage of that success to a point as well. Its what I said about hitting the outer boundaries before.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 12:09 am

pakled wrote:
I'm impressed. I've hear horror stories about EHarmony rejecting over a million people (sure, they can make fantastic matches if they just use people who ordinarily wouldn't need one..;)

You may want to position yourself to be honest enough to attract someone who can deal with it (probably more of them than you think), but not just put it out there. I don't know if it's me, but I've observed that the more choice there is, the pickier you get.

If I ever do meet someone who can both tolerate that and that I can find myself being physically and intellectually attracted to - I'm definitely for it. My personality, more in terms of my own uniqueness, is my huge obstacle. Still, if I play down who I am it seems like I'm really stripping my best assets and leaving myself as nobody; even when those assets and my trajectory I think have a roll in barring me out. Maybe I'm just one of an extreme few here who has the specific sort of things that I do, I guess I'm just a relentless problem solver though and if I really can't go out there and put my hands in the stream when it comes to life and getting what I want I think what I'd have to do is just be very artful at getting my head around the things that I can't change or the things that I know are completely (in my circumstance) in the hands of luck, fate, or whatever you may call it.

Dishman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2008, 12:30 am

I think part of my point got lost somehow. I probably misplaced it.

As best I can tell, you're judging yourself on an absolute scale. Don't do that. Really. "The Total Perspective Vortex" is pretty deadly to the ego.

I'm not suggesting you change how you behave, only how you judge yourself.

It's not actually a catch-22.