Yeah of course, I have also experience it 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
I go with the sceptics its just lust 44%  44%  [ 11 ]
Not a chance, its not about looks its about sex, money ect 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 25

nebula
Raven
Raven

20 May 2008, 5:12 pm

I have had some occasions in my life where I believe I fell in love at first sight.

In todays society I think the idea comes across as shallow or even perverted. I hear women speak of being hoggled at or undressed with mens eyes and its made me feel shameful as I love being able to look at women and it fills me with joy and my mind fills with emotions as if looking at the treasures of such creatures.

I don't look at all women but women who have that unique beauty or elegance which is not of there body's but by the way there faces look and there eyes cast out such magical beauty. I do also love the shape of women's legs and all the intricate skeletal features like the top of there backs and shoulders. People today see this as a lustful longing but I don't relate any of my obeservations as sexual and have recently become celibate to prove this to myself.

Anyway at times in my life even at a young age I used to fall for the gals, I would always find one whom I delighted in seeing from a distance.

About 9 years back I worked in a large company as an administrator and cast eyes on some lady who at that very moment I longed and enjoyed her presence and existence. I felt such strong emotions for her and wanted to relate to her so so much. The awful thing was that I believed her to be so much perfection and beyond my grasp. She also had a boyfriend who she worked with but I just couldn't stop myself from chasing her, I eventually got to hug her once in a pub. She would play games with me so much though and it was profoundly hurtful. In the end everyone knew of my love for her but would say i wanted to get in her knickers which again attacked my moral values. I eventually got kicked out of work because they asked me about it and I admitted I'd fallen in love and off I went with having the sack. I cried very much the night I left feeling cast away.

Anyway I want to fall in love like that again but I am afraid that society will not accept it and that its a new kind of taboo to fall for someone unconditionally for only to want to see them in your life which would feed and comfort my heart and soul.

Have any of you experienced anything similar in your lives and have you had to deal with the dark scepticisms of people who only understand love to be of verbal communication between mind to mind and not of eye to eye.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 5:20 pm

Love at first sight is not real love. It is an illusion. i say this after having had some very bad experiences with it that caused me alot of pain for a very long time...maybe there are times when there is something to it....but more often than not, it is best to air on the side of safety.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 5:29 pm

I think love at first sight isn't all that true. True love has to be nurtured and it grows - you can't get that from one time :?

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2008, 5:29 pm

I voted on the sceptical end of things, because I think that "love-at-first sight" tends to be more along the lines of physical attraction.

But if we are speaking in non-stictly romantic terms, there have been times when I have felt a strong connection to someone within five to ten minutes of meeting them.

And then there is the line from V for Vendetta which I think is absolutely beautiful.

"I don't know who you are, or whether you're a man or a woman. I may never see you. I will never hug you or cry with you or get drunk with you.

"But I love you."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 6:14 pm

Love at first sight is not possible. It takes a while to get to know someone.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 6:25 pm

i voted yes... as i have experienced it.... yet i feel my definition of love is different... and by no means permanent in a relationship-sense.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 6:35 pm

I have experienced love at first sight in high school but it was actually lust. It turned out I couldn't get along with her at all. :x

nebula
Raven
Raven

20 May 2008, 7:43 pm

well I see you all feel that its lust im sorry to say, well as in comments. But what is lust, I think there are different levels of lust at different angles. It seems people today have conditions where by require a mental connection with love but I try to imagine a world without speech where the conditions of connection were based on visual satisfaction of having a beautiful person to look at everyday.

I know that sounds shallow but for me people overlook my soul as I have problems with communicating through speech and people misunderstand me and my soul. I just wish people could see my soul without me having to speak of it or demonstrate it as I feel my originality scares people away or seems to be causing an invisibility with others as I was not even around.

I will continue to believe in love in this harsh sceptical society and lust can go to hell where it belongs. The only flaw Ive found with my belief though is that beauty seems skin deep but that is a generalization as i dont get out a lot. thanks all hope to hear some more. Im off to bed for now.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 8:22 pm

I believe that the one who is perfect me is basically an opposite-sex version of myself.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 9:27 pm

BULL! Sh*t-sh*t.

You can't truly love someone who you don't know.

That said, you could end up loving them in time.

I consider it to be extreme attraction if you look at someone and think, "HOMG I LOVE THEM!"

Naturally, just because you think you love someone it doesn't mean you love them. It just means you love the aspects of them that you can see--and if you've never even spoken to them, that makes most of it skin-deep. Yeah, sometimes it's other things too ("HOMG she has a shirt for a band I love! HOMG she's got a pin with an Office Space quote on the backpack! YAY TPS REPORTS!"), but by and large you don't truly KNOW someone just by looking at them.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 10:15 pm

I have experienced it.
It sorta can happen..
It can also sorta suck.
I saw the guy...
Short, strange, crazy, big nose....
he walked into the place where I worked.
He took off his hat...
I was not the same again for 5 years.
There was some sorta mutual (at least lust) at first sight
I could not stop thinking about him for the rest of the day...
and he ended up pursuing me...
We did end up dating for a while...but it ended disasterously....
i could not find closeure for years...
and it was awful...
Off and on over the years he would occasionally come back into my life to take advantage of my affections for him
I felt like Renfeld from Dracula

I am so happy to be rid of it, and i would not wish it upon my worst enemy.
The only lingering trace that I have is that I will occasionally find guys who resemble him attractive....

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2008, 11:03 pm

I believe you can have a completely non-sexual, aesthetic appreciation for someone when you first look at them, and that there's a difference between looking at women and actually leering. But love... I'm not so sure. Maybe it's possible for some people but I know that it isn't for me.

I have to get to know people first. The only relationships I've had that worked out at all were the ones in which I was friends with someone for at least a few months before we attempted anything else. It's because I don't really respond to visual cues when it comes to falling in love. I'm attracted to things like eccentricity and intelligence and it takes a while to see these traits in people.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 11:10 pm

How can you love someone who you know nothing about?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

autisticon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2008, 11:35 pm

Love at first sight is very real to me, happened back in college. Fell for the girl the moment I met her and still feel the same to this day, and its been 5 years since I've seen her. I've been in long relationships, almost been married, in the end I had to break it off because I realized I was still in love with this other girl and as amazing as the new one was I could never feel the same about her.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 11:54 pm

To the OP: I guess it depends on your definition of "love." But if we're defining "love" as something greater than the result of hormones, then my most logical guess is: no. I believe what you have described is called "infatuation." I wouldn't know for sure, of course, but I don't think that "true love" would be possible if you don't even know the other person yet.

That said, I think that physical attraction can LEAD to love. I'm guessing that a lot of people who mistakenly say that they "fell in love at first sight" were actually "physically attracted at first sight" and later developed love for the other person as they got to know them. So when looking back on their relationship, it seems like they had loved the other person from the beginning, when in actuality it started with physical attraction.

Once again, just speculation from an inexperienced loser.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 12:01 am

I don't believe in "love at first sight", I believe in "like at first sight".

I wouldn't call what you're describing as lust, so I didn't choose an option on your poll. I would say you are infatuated. You are placing these persons on a pedestal, and that tends to make people nervous. It sounds like you could be(Not that you are, I don't know you) a little delusional, ascribing a personality and characteristics on a person you don't know well enough to actually know their personality(How they behave, silly, serious, etc) or character(Their morals/ethics, likes, dislikes, etc), this behavior is creepy. Kind of like someone who is overly zealous for Jesus and confides to you that they rub the bible all over their body, it's going to far. Past this point it's just pure fantasy, and we are deep in crazy land past the point of no return.

Most couples it would seem, who claim love at first sight, have a mutual infatuation with each other, and it skews their views on past events and how they happened. They go from remembering how they liked certain things about the person, to always being in love with them(Aura around them and all) and being meant for each other since way before they were born. It's pretty crazy really.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History