Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 9:12 pm

Not too too long ago I realized that relationships aren't exactly what I've imagined (coincidently I read The Great Gatsby recently). It's just, I always used believe strongly in romanticism. Sometimes I look at others' relationships, and it seems like most of them aren't based off of love. It makes sense if one ends up in a somewhat loveless relationship, as surely it isn't easy to find one you can truly love. But what bothers me is how often love seems to exist in a fake state. I'm not going to go into my full rant, but essentially many relationships are not based enough on how people are in relation to each other. It's more a series of successful gestures (there's Gatsby for you again).

And the one romantic thing I have experienced, was just melodrama, I don't think it was even real in any real sense. Then by the end I was just filled with thoughts about so many things about relationships that I knew I couldn't handle. I even felt a little emasculated. Now my fantasy is ruined. I've seriously fantisized about romantic situations, and then failed in my fantasy.

The idea of a relationship to me is now essentially fear. I tend to think I should go for relationships, for experience if nothing else. But I just don't want to. Will I live life alone then? If I can find enough good songs that glorify the lonely, I might be okay with that.

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2008, 9:35 pm

i dont take expectations of relationships from other places.

whether it's realistic or not i need that romance and deep intimacy, plain and simple.

if that makes me a dysfunctional human being, then so be it.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 10:11 pm

It gives you someone who understand and cares about you. You even share feelings about each other.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 3:43 am

I watch out for gold diggers. I don't want to be in a fake relationship with someone who only cares about my money. This will only be even more true when I eventually have a lot of it. That's how women end up married to men they don't love, don't respect, aren't attracted to, cheat on, and then blame for sabotaging their independence.

Other people can have a lot of hidden problems. I have learned not to envy, because you just never know if you're not in their shoes.

A song for those who are alone but not lonely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7lX5lPYzBA

What happens when relationships go bad:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6be_1210246535

Vanilla ice is a loser, and so is his wife! Taze 'em both!

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Last edited by sgrannel on 10 May 2008, 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 3:59 am

I would rather be alone than I would be with someone I don't like. But I would rather be with someone I like than I would be alone.

So it seems to depend on my possibilities.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 4:05 am

Why be in a relationship? Well, I don't know. But I do know that right now not having a relationship feels analogous to starving. I've never had one and I feel long overdue.

I'm wanting the companionship aspect the most. Sex and whatnot would just be the icing on the cake, so to speak.

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2008, 9:51 am

the real reason is because i'm jealous of all the people i know who are married with kids. but i know deep down i couldn't endure a relationship, it'd drive me crazy and besides i hate having to compromise.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 12:15 pm

PLA wrote:
I would rather be alone than I would be with someone I don't like. But I would rather be with someone I like than I would be alone.

Same here.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 12:32 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
PLA wrote:

Same here.

AMEN! :wink:
Here, I think I'll wait for love to find me than act desperate.

silentwisdom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2008, 8:48 pm

I'd rather wait for true love, too, but it's frustrating when I'm 25 and it's taken so long.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 12:41 am

My definition of true love: When one farts in bed and the other doesn't mind.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 2:34 pm

Dhp wrote:
My definition of true love: When one farts in bed and the other doesn't mind.

Then I hope anyone I am with doesn't mind.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 4:44 pm

I've largely given up on relationships now. If I asked someone out and she said yes, I just wouldn't know what to do with her. I wouldn't enter a loveless relationship, sex isn't worth that (why else enter a loveless relationship? social status? I don't give a damn). I just don't think it's worth the trouble, women don't like me anyway. Let's see, the last girls I've had crushes on or even a little interest in: one's taken for the long haul, another one the same, another turned out to be a psycho, another turned me down and on some days won't even talk to me. I just don't see myself in a relationship anymore; I was in one for nearly 6 years and yes I miss lots of things but ultimately I don't want the drama and I have no faith that relationships can actually work out for me. Add in the mix that serious relationships, the only ones I would actually be interested in, are exactly the ones my generation just doesn't want here - no offense to anyone, but I would be extremely unlikely to date an English girl, I've seen enough. The girls from my country are as bad or worse, just in a different way. So life is going to be a solo flight for me, and I'm slowly getting used to the idea.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).