Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 11:54 pm

"idk, what i wanted to say was i really like u and want to be with u."

"you're awesome, and all my friends think you're really cool, they have been telling me to say something to u for a while"

"that's just what i was thinking, so i guess we'll just take it slow and see what happens."

What would the above text messages lead you to believe?

They came from a guy I work with. I've known him off and on for several years now, and since he got me hired at Spencer's we've grown rather close... at least, I thought. :?

It's times like these I hate being socially clueless. The subject of our, erm, 'crushes' on eachother was discussed that night and that night only, via text message. Okay, I thought it was kinda cute that he was too shy to talk about it in person. Whatever. I was too. But the few times we've hung out since then have been the same as before. No progress has been made, nor has it been attempted. So for the past few days I've been planning on stepping up and having a talk with him.

PROBLEM!

He's been blowing me off.

I don't understand why! For example, on Wednesday we were both off work, so he had planned for us to have lunch in the afternoon, and then we were going out to his grandparents' farm to spend the evening. When I contacted him that afternoon, he said he was busy working on a car. I guess he was working on the car all evening. He texted me around 11 p.m. asking how my day had been.

I figured I should let it slide... he had mentioned he had a bad memory, and maybe he was really actually busy.

The next day he was supposed to call me, and never did.

TODAY we worked together. As soon as he walked into the store he invited me over for tonight, talking about how his friends were going to be over and whatnot. He said he wanted me to partake in their fun-having, and that he wanted me to meet a few people. WELL, he never got in touch with me when he got off work, and me being the socially inept person I am, did not know whether the fact that I had already 'technically' been invited meant that I should wait on a phone call, or just go on over. IN CONFUSION, I texted him myself, not even bringing it up, but just asking if he had enjoyed the food I took to him after I got off work (yeah... unappreciative
much? :roll: ). He basically said something along the lines of "Well, I have to get up early tomorrow, I was just kinda planning on getting baked and going to bed, LOL."

8O

I... took... him... DINNER!

I guess I'm just getting mixed signals here. Has he just changed his mind that fast, or is it nothing that I'm overreacting about? He still acts like a gentleman around me, and far as I know, everyone he talks to is under the impression that there's still something going on between us. I need help.

:( X 1,000,000

Orbyss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 12:23 am

It's extremely hard to know what's really going on here from an internet person's perspective, when I know neither of you whatsoever. But, basically, he sounds confused himself, and not all that with it. Really, that's what it seems to come down to. If you want clear answers, even if he were honest, he probably wouldn't be able to tell you because he himself may not know at all.

There's, of course, the question of how he was brought up, what he's like, that sort of thing. I think a lot of people on here assume that 'everyone else,' particularly NTs, have it down socially to a T. Yeah...no. They don't, plain and simple. I meet so many awkward, weird, socially inept people on a regular basis that I've never bothered to keep count. It sounds like this guy just fits into dysfunctional society.

Your best bet is to be completely honest with him yourself, even if you're afraid of chasing him off. Try not to come off too strong on him when you do, that's all, and maybe try to curb any bitterness you may feel. Just tell him how you feel, that you're confused, and that you feel it's time for some real answers. The problem is I get the feeling he probably won't have any real answers for you, as I said. I could be completely off the mark.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 12:28 am

Get him to be your boyfriend officially.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 3:16 am

He's probably leading you on just to be polite. Some people are not honest in "relationships" or he's more socially inept than you are.

I would bring this up to him otherwise don't waste your time.

While I could understand not having good memory, it sounds like he's doing this quite frequently.

Rejections happen a lot in the dating world so don't take it personal if it turns out he isn't interested in you.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 3:42 am

Sounds like he's a pothead to me. :shrug: Everything always sounds fine and dandy until he gets stoned, then the plans change, and then he would rather be alone, even if it means breaking plans. Sounds like typical pot paranoia to me. Or did I misread "baked" completely wrong? :chin:

Those who know, don't speak.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 4:16 am

^Makes me think of that song...*Because I got High* :lmao:

millie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 5:14 am

i'm 46 and still clueless.

i'm hanging with the cat and the dog from now on...

Anna4077
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Mar 2009, 5:37 am

MissConstrue wrote:
^Makes me think of that song...*Because I got High* :lmao:

LMAO :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like this dude is yanking your chain. (What kind of person invites someone to dinner and then forgets all about it?)

Or he really is a pothead, as jawbrodt said.

Either way, you should stop bringing him food, calling him, texting him etc.
If he's really into you, he will call you.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 11:43 am

He's an idiot and a flake -- don't count on anything from this guy, and move on.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 12:09 pm

Oh not that song!..."I was gonna make love to you...but then i got high" ? :P

Orbyss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 2:13 pm

jawbrodt wrote:
Sounds like he's a pothead to me. :shrug: Everything always sounds fine and dandy until he gets stoned, then the plans change, and then he would rather be alone, even if it means breaking plans. Sounds like typical pot paranoia to me. Or did I misread "baked" completely wrong? :chin:

I also agree with this. :D

CWhite978
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2009, 3:41 pm

He sounds like the perfect gentleman to me. :lol:

Seriously, Captain Smokesalot needs to know that it ain't cool to be screwing with your emotions like that. Bring it up to his face or he's going to keep blowing you off.

matrixlover
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2009, 1:06 am

Manders wrote:
"idk, what i wanted to say was i really like u and want to be with u."

"you're awesome, and all my friends think you're really cool, they have been telling me to say something to u for a while"

"that's just what i was thinking, so i guess we'll just take it slow and see what happens."

What would the above text messages lead you to believe?

They came from a guy I work with. I've known him off and on for several years now, and since he got me hired at Spencer's we've grown rather close... at least, I thought. :?

It's times like these I hate being socially clueless. The subject of our, erm, 'crushes' on eachother was discussed that night and that night only, via text message. Okay, I thought it was kinda cute that he was too shy to talk about it in person. Whatever. I was too. But the few times we've hung out since then have been the same as before. No progress has been made, nor has it been attempted. So for the past few days I've been planning on stepping up and having a talk with him.

PROBLEM!

He's been blowing me off.

I don't understand why! For example, on Wednesday we were both off work, so he had planned for us to have lunch in the afternoon, and then we were going out to his grandparents' farm to spend the evening. When I contacted him that afternoon, he said he was busy working on a car. I guess he was working on the car all evening. He texted me around 11 p.m. asking how my day had been.

I figured I should let it slide... he had mentioned he had a bad memory, and maybe he was really actually busy.

The next day he was supposed to call me, and never did.

TODAY we worked together. As soon as he walked into the store he invited me over for tonight, talking about how his friends were going to be over and whatnot. He said he wanted me to partake in their fun-having, and that he wanted me to meet a few people. WELL, he never got in touch with me when he got off work, and me being the socially inept person I am, did not know whether the fact that I had already 'technically' been invited meant that I should wait on a phone call, or just go on over. IN CONFUSION, I texted him myself, not even bringing it up, but just asking if he had enjoyed the food I took to him after I got off work (yeah... unappreciative
much? :roll: ). He basically said something along the lines of "Well, I have to get up early tomorrow, I was just kinda planning on getting baked and going to bed, LOL."

8O

I... took... him... DINNER!

I guess I'm just getting mixed signals here. Has he just changed his mind that fast, or is it nothing that I'm overreacting about? He still acts like a gentleman around me, and far as I know, everyone he talks to is under the impression that there's still something going on between us. I need help.

:( X 1,000,000

I ran into a similar situation. A guy led me on with "date" stuff but never attempted anything physical. I was very shy so I assumed he was just being a gentleman. Then he told me he was glad we were friends. I was very hurt because i really liked him and i felt he should have been honest after the first date. If he'd been more honest, we might still be friends.
I made it a point thereafter to be as honest as i could about things from the get-go. The next guy got the friends speech after the first date- from my side. He said that was cool. We arranged to hang out again. He wouldn't keep his hands off me. And I never agreed to hang out with him again.
I told the next guy I was a virgin. Ran him off after he'd been so convincing about his "feelings."
I told the next guy I was a virgin. And a few months later we were married. See, honesty pays off every time. You end up only with the people in your life who DESERVE to be there. Hear that? If this guy is sending mixed signals, talk about it. If it drives him away, so be it. Just means he wasn't worth your time and concern.

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 11:34 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I really do appreciate it.

jawbrodt wrote:
Sounds like he's a pothead to me. :shrug: Everything always sounds fine and dandy until he gets stoned, then the plans change, and then he would rather be alone, even if it means breaking plans. Sounds like typical pot paranoia to me.

This is a very good point. I hadn't really thought about it. It is possible that plans have changed because of this... kind of like the song, which has new meaning to me now. :lol:

For a little update... I went into work on Saturday (the day after I took him dinner and I got the 'I was just gonna get baked' text), and he thought I was mad at him. He then asked me if I had gotten the last text he sent. He swears that he sent one after that asking when I was going to make it over. Whether or not this is true (or if he was just really baked and doesn't remember NOT sending it), I may never know. Anyways, he asked if I wanted to go to dinner after I closed the store. I said yes, being the sucker I am, and hoping that it would actually happen... and it was a lovely evening! He bought my food, and we sat there and talked for hours. We drove around for a while afterwords and continued talking... I didn't manage to bring up the issue of being blown off though.

Sigh.

I can't let it happen again without anything being said though. Any more and it'll just be too much.

He says he still feels the same as when our feelings were originally discussed. We also discussed how he feels that he, as a guy, is screwed when it comes to reading girls and how much time he should spend with them. Actually, he and his friend discussed it and I just happened to be sitting there. It had nothing to do with our situation (his friend was having the problem with a girl), but this really isn't an issue of how much time we spend together. It's about making plans and not informing me when he wants to break them. That's something any decent human should know is wrong, I believe.

Maybe he really is just clueless. Or maybe I'm just making up excuses for him. I think with more communication things will be better. I know we're both too shy to talk about these things, but if anything's ever going to work, it needs to be done.

He said he was going to take me out to dinner again this week. Let's see if it actually happens.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 12:00 am

well... maybe he really does like you? I agree that it sounds like he has a drug problem (a.k.a: pothead) but you really should talk to him about everything - even if it's awkward to bring up, if you just leave it things will fall apart

also: if you take my advice and things do end up falling to pieces I am now telling you I don't date and am not good with others but am using logic to (hopefully) help you

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 9:27 pm

Manders wrote:
He said he was going to take me out to dinner again this week. Let's see if it actually happens.

PAH!

I don't know what I'm getting myself into. Considering the apparent circumstances (see last post in THIS thread), I even reminded him on Thursday, by asking if he still wanted to go eat this weekend. He said he did.

I guess he DIDN'T, because he's spent the whole weekend getting BAKED with his friends. GAHHH!! !! !! !! !! !! !! I really have developed serious feelings for him, but if this is what I'll be putting up with... I just don't know if I can do it! I'm all about, erm, 'baking' every once in a while, but when it's multiple times a day and interfering with plans, it's not healthy. Or cool.

I really don't want to mention it, because we really aren't *officially* together yet, and I don't want to... I don't know, come off as overbearing?