Who do you get along with better?
Aspies 39%  39%  [ 15 ]
NTs 61%  61%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 38

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:16 am

I've only gotten along with three Aspies in my life. Most of the Aspies I've met either had behavior issues, were super shy or bored me with their special interests. I don't get along with people in general, but most of the people I get along with are NTs.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2013, 4:35 am

Then you're on the wrong message board :lol:

On a more serious note I get much better along with aspies, although I have not met that many.

Raj2442
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2013, 5:17 am

I'm the same as psychegots. I get along better with other Aspie's but I have only met two in real life.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2013, 5:37 am

I find I tend to clash horns with them a lot more than I do with people not on the spectrum, but besides that assuming we have similar values and interests I won't get along with them any less than any other person.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 5:47 am

I don't know if I have ever met anyone who has been diagnosed with Aspergers, but I have met several who I suspect has it at least to some degree. I think that the key to getting along with them is to understand Aspergers and how it is manifested in the people in question. If you try to understand them as if they were NT, I think that you aren't going to understand many of them at all.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 7:34 am

Neither.
It's fun how most people think I should get along better with aspies just because I have Asperger's, or with NTs just because they are the majority.
I get along better only with people I like, may they be NTs or not.
However, talking about "cathegories" of people I tend to get along with better, I usually tend to get along better with other people with ADHD or with people with HFA/MFA/LFA.

Last edited by chlov on 28 Jan 2013, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 9:40 am

I don't have enough data yet to decide conclusively, but when I consider the few officially diagnosed aspies I've met so far I think it was easier to get along with them than with NTs I've just met. Also, my best friends is probably a "cuspie" and I think that has a lot to do with why we get along so well. On other hand there are a couple of people I've known that I suspect were aspies and they were quite annoying. So it may be hard to generalise here, except to say that both aspies and NTs might annoy me - but in different ways.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:19 pm

Seriously? Only one other person feels the same way I do? How very saddening. :(

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:21 pm

I like that autistic people don't misinterpret me in bizarro ways like nts do. I get along fine with people in my autism group.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:22 pm

One aspie - difficulty in interaction. More - more difficulty. This has been my experience thus far. I don't know if interaction between me and NTs happens thanks to my effort and theirs (or their natural talent), but it's the only kind of interaction that's not just taking turns extracting information but actual communication.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 4:15 pm

Most of my friends are on the spectrum and I feel that I can connect with them well. I have had one of them who I don't get along with because our personalities mismatch. Everyone else I am fine with.

I have a harder time connecting with most NT people though since I don't always read certain cues of their's such as pitch in voice and facial expression. Although there are a number of nerdy NTs who I do get along with but none of us are really friends.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 5:47 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I've only gotten along with three Aspies in my life. Most of the Aspies I've met either had behavior issues, were super shy or bored me with their special interests. I don't get along with people in general, but most of the people I get along with are NTs.

I kinda have the same issue. The behavior issues made it difficult to hold a normal (even abnormal) conversation. It made me wonder if I had aspergers at all.

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm

I'm 50/50 I guess. I'm too low-functioning to get along with NTs, but too high-functioning to get along with Aspies. It really depends on each individual, I guess. I can talk to either type for a little while, but I can also get tired of either type.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 6:23 am

DevilKisses wrote:
IMost of the Aspies I've met either had behavior issues [...]

Care to elaborate?

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 11:13 am

Skilpadde wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
IMost of the Aspies I've met either had behavior issues [...]

Care to elaborate?

Temper tantrums about stupid things.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 12:40 pm

Well for me it's hard to say because the majority of people out there are neurotypicals. It also depends how high functioning or low functioning they are and if they're male or female. I tend to get along better with the lower functioning females who have autism a bit better than the males but on the other hand most of my friends are female anyway. It's really hard to say because everyone has different personalities whether you have autism or not plus it's more likely to see a neurotypical than an aspie.