Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EvilWalks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2005, 6:02 am

Don't geeky-looking people and ugly sometimes turned out to be a**h**es?

I was at work today, and there's this one girl at work who's only a year older than me, she's not so hot. She looks like some short little nerdy girl, with glasses, she has that image.
So for the heck of it, I say hey what's up. She sees me and ignores me. Trust me, no one else has a problem with me. Everyone else is cool with me.

Plus, there was this girl that was in my class a couple years ago, and she was so ugly, but she was an a** to others in the class. You'd think that ugly and nerdy people would be cool, you know, and not have such an additude with people...they'd be happy to make friends.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 6:30 am

*rearranges The Quote*

The Quote wrote:
If you've met one ugly, geeky person - you've met one ugly, geeky person.

EvilWalks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2005, 10:51 am

huh?

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 12:56 pm

EvilWalks wrote:

Don't streotyping and genralizing people sometimes turn out to be a**h**es?

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 1:13 pm

DrizzleMan wrote:
*rearranges The Quote*

The Quote wrote:
If you've met one ugly, geeky person - you've met one ugly, geeky person.

That is so true.

Besides, labeling people as having an attitude problem or being angry just because they don't respond "normally" is what has caused me years of misunderstanding.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 1:44 pm

If they are really ugly, they might have poor self-esteem. And so this could cause them to react negatively to friendliness. Back in highschool I had low self-esteem. On the rare occassion that someone said something friendly to me, I'd just sneer or not reciprocate. I could see no reason why anyone would be nice to me so if they were it felt like I was being mocked or patronized.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 4:34 pm

I'm still like that really. If someone is overtly friendly to me, Ill somtimes just not respond. I simply don't know have it in me sometimes.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 7:32 pm

Well, I can say that I used to go after girls that didn't fit the "attractive" stereotype so well, but I learned the hard way that most of them aren't any more humble, open-minded, or, well, un-picky than the "attractive" ones.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 9:00 pm

Quote:

Hell yes. In my opinion more of them are a***holes than nice looking people. They have grudges against nice looking people, low self esteem, or are just hardout b*****s or jerks.

There are some that are really cool people, and that I value alot to count as my friends. But the whole "All ugly people are nice" is BS.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 3:31 pm

Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder anyway.

MercuryAvatar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2005, 2:13 am

Maybe people don't like feeling like they're being pitied, or patraonized. Whether you intend to or not, it sounds like in your first post that you talked to them BECAUSE they weren't attractive, and felt like you were doing them a favour. Like they should feel grateful to you because of it, and that they should have to work harder to make other people like them for something that ideally shouldn't matter, or is largely subjective anyway...

But that's just how I'm reading it.

I don't have problems with my physical appearance, but my social skills ARE lacking. I've had people walk up and talk to me, and it was OBVIOUS that they were doing it because it was a 'good deed'. Their conversational attempts were completely bland and artificial. Trust me, there's unintentionally frivolous, and then there's complete and utter lack of effort.
I probably should have thanked them for the effort and made some excuse to dismiss them, but I rudely ignored them instead.
However, in the end, I don't feel too bad over it. They put next to no effort to it, and acted completely offended when I reciprocated a similar amount of appreciatation. I don't need people acting like they're doing some kind of huge favour or sacrafice for me, when they're not really doing anything at all.

Edit;
Their attempt at conversation went something like-
"Hi, I noticed you sit here alone a lot. Do you not have any friends or something? We'll sit and talk with you."
Not so eloquently said either. Trust me, I was there, and it was offensive, annoying, and tasteless. Aspies are supposed to end up offending people frequently, but I notice most people don't bother with tact regardless.

It's also wasn't an infrequent gesture. I've wandered off to isolated places to sit and read on many an occasion, and different groups of girls, frequently in 3's, want to walk up and bother me, good intentions or not. The repetition just added to the insult of it though.

The thing is, I did have a couple of friends with shared interests in every school I'd been to, I just like having a lot of 'me' time with a good book, away from the noise of large groups.

EvilWalks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2005, 2:31 pm

:(

Oh no...

Look, I'm sorry for making this thread. I didn't mean to stereotype anyone, or offend anyone. I apologize greatly if I did.

I have no problem with any people, okay? I'm sorry. I've made too many threads offending people. I'm sorry.

I must have been a real as*hole...

It's just that people everywhere I go have a problem with me, and I just wanted to discuss why people who don't seem cool also pick on me, if not more than cool people.

Please forgive me for my threads.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 3:54 pm

Hell no, this was a great thread, informative and helps the younger aspies who have that misconception. When I was 5 years younger I was really confused and distressed by this. Don't feel you should stop making topics just cos one person used your topic to vent a little.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 11:16 pm

So this is the geeky thread?

Oh yeah, the more homely people don't always turn out to be smart and nice. Infact in one dilbert cartoon, an ugly person petitioned dilbert about an organization dispelling the stereotype that ugly people are smart and nice. He offered to sign but found out it was a membership drive.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 11:26 pm

I am geeky, and I really don't know how attractive I am to members of the opposite sex: probably somewhat below average but not hideous. In my humble opinion, I'm not a jerk.

EvilWalks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2005, 10:47 am

Then I'm sorry if I acted like a jerk.