Anyone else experienced sexual bullying?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:29 pm

There was a girl in high school who pretended to be sexually attracted to me. She was always talking dirty to me and touching me sexually, even though I made it perfectly clear that it was not okay. She wasn't even attracted to me, she just did it to humiliate me. It made me feel really depressed afterward and it lowered my self esteem, because I saw how much people hated me, how little respect they had for me. I'm pissed off at her now, and at everyone else who picked on me because I was different, even though they're not in my life anymore.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:41 pm

People have done this to me A LOT. This is part of the reason I've never dated anyone (though I am only 14), because whenever someone asks me out I can never tell if they're serious or if they're just taking the mick, so I assume the latter.

y es como un semestre"

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:54 pm

People like that lack empathy and how ironic is that? I will never understand why some people get pleasure from someone else's pain.

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2009, 2:01 pm

I experienced this a lot, especially in middle school.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 2:06 pm

Why don't they teach social skills in school?

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 2:14 pm

I wouldn't call that "bullying", but sexual assault or harassment. If I were you, I would look and see if your school has a policy on sexual harassment-- it probably does-- and then tell the relevant authorities what's going on. Sexual harassment is generally considered much more severe than "regular" harassment, so I think there is a good chance that something could be done about this. I hope things get better for you soon.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 2:15 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
There was a girl in high school who pretended to be sexually attracted to me. She was always talking dirty to me and touching me sexually, even though I made it perfectly clear that it was not okay. She wasn't even attracted to me, she just did it to humiliate me. It made me feel really depressed afterward and it lowered my self esteem, because I saw how much people hated me, how little respect they had for me. I'm pissed off at her now, and at everyone else who picked on me because I was different, even though they're not in my life anymore.

I think that kind of behavior is something that young people (usually young people) do because they themselves are unsure of their sexuality, and trying out what they can and can't get away with. That girl used you as an object for her to practice acting in a sexual, slu*ty way, without any risk to herself. In other words, the core of the problem is within her, not you. She (and the inevitable girlfriends who probably giggled hysterically along with her) was the one who acted like a twonk and should be ashamed of herself. You may have been geeky and different, but high school girls who do that kind of stuff are being awkward in their own way. Years from now, she'll look back and go, "Oh, god, I can't believe what a jerk I was to that guy! I was so immature, and must have looked like an idiot."

Or not.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 4:13 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:

Thank god, no, I've never gone through that. The closest I've had to deal with is my ex making obscene 'jokes' about me after we broke up; not the same league at all, but the feelings of humiliation sound familiar.

Thing is, she probably doesn't even remember it, or if she does, probably thinks of it as a 'silly little high school prank'; she'll probably never think twice about the effects her actions had on you. People like that just don't.

I'm not saying this to make you feel worse; I'm just trying to say that you will never get vengeance on them, no matter how angry you stay,. The only postive thing you can do is put
it behind you, forget it and let the wounds heal.

curtis122
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2009, 5:20 pm

I know how you feel.Sometimes people in my class pretend to be attracted to me like saying things like "your so hot" in a sarcastic way . Somtimes I find it a little confusing and I question if they really are being genuine. I guess in these situations what I want to happen and what is happening can get confused due to the fact im looking for something so I guess (depending on my mood) I preserve it because I would like that to happen so badly.

I have come across your situation a couple of times in my life and I just play along with the verbalitys they generally stop. However when things get physicle I guess that harder.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 6:28 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:

What you went through sounds horrible. Maybe it is good that you are angry at her now, rather than depressed and blaming yourself for it. I'm also wondering if maybe she was attracted to you, but didn't know how to handle it, because you weren't in the clique she was in. You didn't deserve to be treated like that and I don't believe the other people hated you. The lack of respect they showed only represents the lack of expectations (and respect) that they had for themselves. I understand how you would feel a sense of loss from it, though. You lost out on a lot, from the sound of it, and I think that is what you are reacting to, rather than just some dumb girl. Try to focus on what you want to make out of your future. Don't let the ghosts haunt you. :(

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 12:30 am

pineapple wrote:
I wouldn't call that "bullying", but sexual assault or harassment. If I were you, I would look and see if your school has a policy on sexual harassment-- it probably does-- and then tell the relevant authorities what's going on. Sexual harassment is generally considered much more severe than "regular" harassment, so I think there is a good chance that something could be done about this. I hope things get better for you soon.

When I responded, I hadn't even considered that, but you are absolutely right. It is sexual harrassment, and is probably not tolerated at school.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 4:25 am

Yeah people have pretended to like me so they could "get my hopes up then hurt me" but they obviously thought I was stupider than I am I totally didn't buy it or care, lol.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 4:58 am

elderwanda wrote:
pineapple wrote:

When I responded, I hadn't even considered that, but you are absolutely right. It is sexual harrassment, and is probably not tolerated at school.

It is also a hybrid offence (summary conviction or indictable depending on how crpwn prosecutor wants ot pursue it). You can file criminal charges against her.You did tell her to stop but it continued so there is a guilty mind (mens rea) and she did do it (actus reus).It can be considered sexual assault because of this pursuant to the criminal code.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 5:00 am

and those who egged her on and/or ridiculed you because of it, can be criminally charged with aiding and abetting.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Phipe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Nov 2009, 4:07 am

Well, our school made a theatre, and one of the guys played a woman in it. No, he did not get bullied, but rather he flirted with everyone else as he weared the dress and a blond wig.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2009, 5:16 pm

Aimless wrote:
Why don't they teach social skills in school?

Because they assume that being in school with other kids is all the teaching you need. But there are special schools or classes where they try to teach social skills, and how to read people. Which is very complicated. But the good thing is that most people have better experiences once they leave high school. Middle and high school should be the worst social environment you experience, then it's supposed to get better.