Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Zeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 6:16 pm

Let me explain. People say it hinders because we can't read body language or detect sarcasm etc. But it also helps because we're honest with people and they respect that. Some poeple like those who are honest, speak their minds and I've noticed that most people who Asperger's are more accepting of others than those who aren't. Yeah I know we like our solitude but we don't just tell everyone to bugger off (well most of us don't). We just get close to a couple of people and care for them when we do. If anyone else has some other ways it helps then please post them below.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 6:27 pm

Honesty, loyalty, commitment and attention to detail have often been (and yet continue to be) very helpful for me in the workplace, but not always socially. The thing that really makes the difference, I believe, is in this you have said:

Zeek wrote:
Some people like those who are honest, speak their minds ...
... we don't just tell everyone to bugger off (well most of us don't).

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 8:55 am

Zeek wrote:
But it also helps because we're honest with people and they respect that. Some poeple like those who are honest, speak their minds and I've noticed that most people who Asperger's are more accepting of others than those who aren't.

Too bad I find that most people who claim they want to be told the truth can't handle it. :lol:

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2009, 11:10 am

I was one of the most popular people in school (voted 2nd place for general nice guy, the winner was a highly sociable NT and a very nice person, naturally) on the basis of this.

Honesty is definately part of it but I've found ignoring most politics and not being limited to one single circle of friends helps too. Just don't over rely on it: it dosn't work on everybody or in every situation, you also can't sit in a corner and become popular through AS-magic. You do have to talk to people although not neccacarally as much as NTs do.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 2:55 am

I get along well and am friends with a classmate who is an immigrant from El Salvador. :)

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 6:11 am

OP, that's "asPergers" :wink:

Even though I understand body language and sarcasm, I'm not skilled socially, I tend to act introverted for most of the time.

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2009, 10:06 am

I guess adaptability and some communication skills might go a long way, but from what I learned, the lack of social skills is associated with Asperger's. That, and a terrible and isolated childhood...

Zeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 4:27 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
OP, that's "asPergers" :wink:

Even though I understand body language and sarcasm, I'm not skilled socially, I tend to act introverted for most of the time.

Thanks for correcting my spelling, I'll have to remember that. What's OP mean?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 4:36 pm

OP = [O]riginal [P]oster, the person who started the thread.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!